Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record

March 2003 Obituaries

HOT SPRINGS -- Adell Bjorge, 79, of Hot Springs died from a stroke at St. Joseph Hospital in Polson on March 19, 2003. She was born in Stockdale, TX, on Nov. 5, 1923, to Elbee and Melvina Hobbs. Adell is survived by her husband, Morris Bjorge (Garcon Gulch); two sons, Marvin, and his family (Polson) and Carl (Tacoma, WA); and numerous other relatives and friends. Funeral services were conducted on March 22 in Lonepine. Interment followed at Murray Memorial Cemetery in Lonepine.

MISSOULA -- Joseph Samuel Bouchard died on March 12, 2003, at St. Patrick Hospital here. Joe was born Aug. 8, 1927, to Joseph A. and Cynthia "Toots" Bouchard in Missoula and raised in Bonner. He attended Bonner Elementary School and graduated from Missoula County High School in 1944. In August 1944, he enlisted in the Navy and served as a gunner's mate on the USS LST 810 in the Pacific during World War II. After the war, Joe converted to aviation metalsmith. From March 1948 to December 1949, he was stationed at a Navy airfield near Shanghai, China. He participated in the evacuation of Americans from Manchuria and other areas in China during the Chinese Civil War. From 1950 to 1956, Joe served in various Navy transport aircraft squadrons and participated in the Korean War. In January 1952, Joe married Grace Ellen Hanson of Redstone. From 1952 to 1957, they were stationed in Pensacola, Fla., and Hutchinson, Kan. In 1957, they were transferred to Moffett Field, Calif., where Joe was promoted to ensign as an aviation maintenance officer. From 1958 to 1967, they were stationed in Brunswick, Maine; Quonset Point, R.I.; Jacksonville, Fla.; and again in Quonset Point. During these tours, Joe served as maintenance officer in Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 11 and as officer in charge of the naval aviation radiography school. In April 1967, Joe was assigned to Helicopter Attack Squadron (light) III (the Seawolves) in Vinh Long, Vietnam. He earned a battlefield promotion to lieutenant commander and was awarded the Bronze Star medal with a combat "V" for valor during the Tet offensive in February 1968. On the first night of the Tet offensive, Joe, with only two men, defended a Catholic orphanage with 130 children and eight nuns from Viet Cong attack until they could be evacuated the next day. In June 1968, Joe returned from Vietnam to duty on the Commander Naval Air Force Pacific Fleet staff in San Diego. From 1970 to 1973, he was assigned to Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron I in Atsugi, Japan, and Agana, Guam. During this tour, he was promoted to commander. His final assignment on active duty was as aircraft maintenance officer at the Pacific Missile Test Center, Naval Air Station, Point Mugu, Calif. He retired from the Navy on May 31, 1976, with 32 years active service. Joe returned to Missoula and served from 1977 to 1982 as a Missoula County Deputy Sheriff. He later worked for several years at the Hunting Shack in Missoula. Joe was a member of the Salish and Kootenai Tribes and the Veterans Warrior Society. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion and was active in veterans affairs. He was an avid hunter, fisherman, gun and cartridge collector and reloader. He was a member of the National Rifle Association. He was a supporter of the Museum of Mountain Flying and the Fort Missoula Historical Museum. Joe is survived by his son, Joseph F. Bouchard, captain, U.S. Navy, and his wife, Rita, and daughter, Ellen (Washington, D.C.); his son, Daniel J. Bouchard, and his fiancee, Jackie, and son, Evan (Atlanta); his daughter, Cynthia Christina, and her husband, Wallace, and children, Tara and Michael (Missoula); two brothers, Charles Patrick Bouchard (Polson) and John Sandford Bouchard (West Linn, OR); and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife, Grace, and his brother, Michael, a Navy pilot who was shot down and declared missing in action in 1968. A graveside service was held March 15 at St. Mary's Cemetery in Missoula. A memorial service will be scheduled at a later date. Gifts may be made in Joe's name to the Maryknoll Fathers or the American Cancer Society.

RONAN -- June Carson, 98, Polson, died on March 21, 2003, at the St. Luke Extended Care Facility here from natural causes. June was born on June 15, 1904, in Kalispell to Charles and Olive Caffrey. In 1913, she and her family loaded two wagons and a horse buggy and moved to Polson. June attended schools near Polson and recalled walking three miles to and from school each day. She also attended college in Chicago. On Sept. 5, 1942, she married Robert E. Carson in Kalispell. They farmed and ranched on the south shore near Polson. She was preceded in death by her parents, sister Venus Mutchler, and brothers Charles, Dee and Paul Caffrey. She is survived by a brother, Jack Caffrey (Portland, OR), and numerous nieces and nephews. Graveside services were conducted on March 22 at Lakeview Cemetery.

RONAN -- Norman Francis Charette died on March 14, 2003, at his home near here. Norman was born in St. Ignatius on June 11, 1940, to John Wheeler and Georgiana (Meyers) Wheeler. Raised on the Flathead Reservation and in Federal Way, WA, by his mother and stepfather, Frank Charette, he graduated from high school in Federal Way in 1958. Norman then served in the Army, stationed in Fort Chaffee, Ark., from 1958 to 1960. Norman and his family lived in Mont., Wash., and Colo. Norman was a lifelong sheet-metal worker except for a brief time he spent logging in Montana and when he went mining to become a gold baron in British Columbia. He later owned his own shops where he specialized in heating and air conditioner installation and repair. Norman also had his ranch in Ronan, the CXC Ranch, where he was able to pursue his love of cattle and the outdoors and where he would often go hunting, fishing and camping. He was an avid flower gardener, having his own greenhouse where he made hanging baskets, and he enjoyed his coin collection and his fish tanks. He especially enjoyed traveling with his wife, Teddi, and would do it as often as possible. As a member of the Sheet Metal Workers Union in Colorado and Washington and a member of the Conf. Salish and Kootenai Tribes, Norm was well known and dearly loved. He was preceded in death by his parents, John and Georgiana; his brothers, John and George Wheeler; and his grandparents, Sophie and Archie McDonald. He is survived by Teddi, his wife of 32 years (Ronan); his children and their spouses, Lance Norman and Penny Charette (Indianapolis), John Carl and Margo Charette (Tucson, AZ), Lori Charette (Jacksonville, FL), Wayde Aaron and Dani Charette (Denver) and Charles David Charette (Ronan); a daughter whom he regarded as his own, Roberta Roullier Haynes (Arlee); 13 grandchildren Sara, Justin, Pamela, Krista, Marissa, Amanda, Kayliegh, Jake, Christian Andrew and Twilynn Rachelle Charette, Cheyenne Haynes, Matt Finley and Brayden Cut Finger; his stepfather, Frank Charette (St. Ignatius); brothers Laurel "Babe" Charette and his wife Lori (St. Ignatius) and Matt Wheeler (Alaska); three sisters, Arlene Wheeler Gripper (Polson), Vickie Wheeler (Oregon) and Judy Carol and her husband Richard Hansford (Graham, WA); as well as his uncle, Bill Wheeler; aunts Cassie, Dorothy and Blanche; and many nieces, nephews and cousins. A traditional wake was held at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius. Mass was celebrated on March 17 at the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission. Interment followed at the St. Ignatius Catholic Cemetery, where military honors were presented.

POLSON -- Esther June Cornett, 76, formerly of Thompson Falls, died on March 24, 2003, at St. Luke Community Hospital in Ronan from natural causes. She was preceded in death her husband, Robert. She is survived by her daughter, Lynda Edwards (Polson); two sons, Robert Cornett (Heath, TX) and Guy Cornett (Austin, TX); three grandchildren; two great grandchildren; and one sister, Mary McCandlish (Seattle). Funeral services were held on March 28 at the Community Congregational Church in Thompson Falls. Interment followed at the City Cemetery in Thompson Falls.

MISSOULA -- Memorial services for Vernita Josephine Evans Couture were held on May 24 in the public cemetery in Curlew, WA, where she was laid to rest with her mother. Vernita died at her home in Ronan on March 5, 2003. She was born in Missoula and was an enrolled member of the Salish-Kootenai Tribes. She grew up in the Mission Valley and also attended boarding schools in Oregon. She was preceded in death by her husband, Clarence; a son, Don; and a brother, Vernon. Vernita is survived by three sons, Norbert (Unk), Jim (Ronan) and Mike (Arlee); a daughter, Edith (Helena); a sister, Wanda (Curlew); many grandchildren and nieces and nephews.

ARLEE -- Anthony 'Tone' Curtis Cut Finger died of from injuries sustained in an auto accident on March 14, 2003. Anthony was born to Ernest Cut Finger Sr. and Lee Ann (Sheridan) Nicolai on Oct. 11, 1973, in Missoula. He was raised in Arlee, a member of the Blackfeet Nation. He graduated from Arlee in 1993. He will be remembered for his athletic ability, carpentry and mechanics skills, and love of the outdoors. He is survived by his parents, Ernest and Dawn Cut Finger, Lee Ann and Wendall Nicolai, Harry Lozeau and Rusty Whitworth; brothers and their spouses, Ernest Jr. and Cheryl, Jesse and Leandria, Harley Cut Finger, Isaac Lozeau, Chris Standing Rock, Jonathan Whitworth, and Jeremiah James; sisters and their spouses, Adeline and Elijah, Caroline Lozeau, Misty and Carrie Whitworth, Tamara and Kimberly Standing Rock, and Nicole and Sarah James; grandparents -- Yaya Frances Vanderburg, Katie Nick, Joe and Theola Old Chief, Edna Rose, Florentino and Dorothy Flores, and Ursula Thomas; and dozens of aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins. A traditional Salish wake was held at the Arlee Indian Elderly Center. Services were held in the Arlee gym on March 18.Internment followed in the Sheridan Family Cemetery.

RONAN -- Aaron Scott Dodgson, 28, died on March 13, 2003. He was born Aug. 12, 1974, to Jeffrey E. Dodgson and Audrey E. Combs Whitting in Polson. Aaron loved the outdoors -- fishing, hunting, mud-bogging and camping, to name a few of his favorites. He was very artistic and loved to write poetry. He graduated from Polson High School in 1992. Aaron had been employed at the Country Foods Co. in Polson, where he worked as a supervisor. He met his beloved partner and love of his life, Tawnie Freeman, in Ronan, where they resided for the past five years. On May 19, 1999, Aaron and Tawnie had their beautiful baby girl, Trinity Nicole Dodgson. Aaron is survived by his wife, daughter and parents; mother Audrey E. Combs Whittig of Ronan; a sister, Ann Marie Dodgson; a brother-in-law Jason Erickson; a brother, William Bradley Dodgson; two nieces; maternal grandparents, Bayne and Marie Hunter (Cedar City, UT); paternal grandparents Gilbert and Caryl Dodgson (Wise River); and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. Anyone wishing to remember Aaron is welcome to make donations to Ronan State Bank, where a college savings fund will be started for his daughter. Aaron was preceded in death by his stepson, Tyler Freeman; maternal grandparents LaVern and Edith Combs; paternal grandparents William and Mary Dodgson, and stepfather Vern Whittig. Funeral services were March 18 in Pablo. Interment was at the Ronan Cemetery. Honorary pallbearers were William Bradley Dodgson, Jason Erickson, Rocky Lichano Sr., Kimo Jackson, Dino Combs, Albert Drebes and James Partida.

TUCSON, AZ -- John A. Dowdall, a former banker in Polson, died of heart failure on March 30. He was born in Anaconda to Michael and Katherine Dowdall. In 1942, he graduated from St. Peter's High School, where he was an avid baseball, basketball and football player. He served in the Navy from 1942 until 1945. He graduated from the University of Montana in 1950. Prior to entering banking, he was a high school teacher and coach in Virginia City, Dillon and Anaconda. He began his banking career at the then-Daly Bank. From 1969 until 1973, he was the state banking commissioner under Gov. Forrest Andersen. Following that, he founded First Citizens Bank in Polson, where he was president until his retirement in 2001. Dowdall was active in civic and fraternal affairs, serving on and presiding over a host of governmental bodies and organizations. In addition to several affiliations while living in Anaconda, he was elected and served as mayor of Polson in the early 1980s. He was the force behind a number of economic development initiatives in Polson, including establishing the Polson Community Development Association. He was a tireless advocate for the location of a convention center in Polson. He founded, with Larry Barsness of the Virginia City Players, the Port Polson Players. Through the sponsorship of the First Citizens Bank, he organized and participated in the multi-mile Fun Run in Polson. Shortly before his retirement, he undertook chairmanship of the capital campaign for the St. Joseph Medical Center in Polson. In addition to his civic activities, he had two other passions his Irish heritage and his golf game. He was a longtime member of the Polson Golf Club. He is survived by his wife, Marie; a brother, Joseph (Anaconda); a sister, Margaret (Helena); four children, Patrick (Wellesley, MA), Mary Ann Bucy and Colleen Dowdall (both of Missoula) and Karen Sandford (Seattle); seven stepchildren, Joseph (Polson), Sean, Michael, James, Katherine, Rosemary and Michelle; 20 grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and numerous nephews and nieces. A funeral Mass was celebrated on April 5 in Polson. Burial with military honors followed at Lakeview Cemetery in Polson.

LEEDS, Ala. -- Frank Ducharme died here on March 7, 2003, following a lengthy illness. Frank was born July 30, 1921, to Peter and Elsie (Rein) Ducharme in St. Ignatius. He attended the Catholic School there and the Indian School in Rapid City, S.D. Frank went to California in the early 40s where he met a pretty red-haired Alabama girl, Mae Isabell. They were married in 1943. They lived and worked in Los Angeles, Victorville and Apple Valley until they moved to Alabama in 1977. Frank was an enrolled member of the Salish-Kootenai Tribes and was very proud of his Native American heritage. He returned to the Flathead Reservation many times to attend powwows and visit friends and relatives. Frank was a popular entertainer at various school and civic functions in Alabama, dressed in his ceremonial Indian outfit, showing powwow videos and talking about his tribes' traditions and history. Frank was preceded in death by his wife, Mae; his mother and father, and his brother, Herman. He is survived by two brothers, Joe and Jean, and numerous nieces and nephews. Burial was in Leeds.

RONAN -- Dixie D. Eaton, 84, died on March 20, 2003, at her home here of natural causes. Dixie was born Dec. 18, 1918, in Miles City to Harvey H. and Laura Mae (Hill) Crosby. She married Harold P. Eaton in Miles City. He preceded her in death in 1984. She moved to Seattle in the 1940s, working at Boeing until retirement. She also raised horses and ranched near Seattle. She moved to Ronan in 2000 to live with her son. Survivors include two sons, Hod Eaton (Ronan) and Hal Eaton (Auburn, WA); eight grandchildren; numerous great-grandchildren; and a sister, Dorothy Eaton (Miles City). No services are planned.

POLSON -- Elaine Dalice Forman, 61, died of cancer on March 6, 2003, at the family home near here. She married Kendal Forman of Polson on June 30, 1961. They moved to the family farm in Mountain View where they raised certified seed potatoes and Charolais and Simmental cattle. She taught first grade for one year, both in St. Ignatius and Polson, before becoming a full-time homemaker to raise her children and help with the farm. In 1983, she became an independent insurance agent. She was an enrolled member of the Conf. Salish-Kootenai Tribes. Her Indian heritage was an integral and significant part of her life. One of her greatest joys were the annual whitefishing trips to Spotted Bear made in the camping school bus for the past 25 years, with all her children and grandchildren. She is survived by her husband of Polson; daughters and their husbands, Jenaya and Gregg Webster (Polson), Sheryl and Chris Kantola (Camano Island, WA), Sheri and Van McIntire (Eugene, OR), Maurita Forman and Michaela Forman (both of Polson); grandchildren Kyra, Daisha and Abe Kantola, Kabe, Kaiden and Baby Kendal Forman-Webster, Joshua and Austin McIntire, Briala Bisson Forman, Alicia and Jeremy Smithson and Dustin and Mitch Mitchell; sisters Kay Johnson, Carol Pastos and Rene Dubay; and many nieces, nephews and cousins. She was preceded in death by two sons, Kevin in 1996 and Ferin in 1998; her parents Abraham and Marion Dubay; and her little brother, Dennis. The family will be having a private service at the family farm where she will be buried and suggests donations be made to the Make A Wish Foundation.

POLSON -- Betty Jean Gafford, 77, of Polson, died Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at the St. Luke Extended Care Facility in Ronan of natural causes. Betty was born March 28, 1925, in Polson, the daughter of Doc and Gladys Corrigan. She was preceded in death by her parents; a brother, Jack Corrigan; and a half-brother, Don Corrigan. She is survived by two daughters, Arla Tree (Stevensville) and Linda Gafford (Florida); a son, Carl D. Gafford (Polson); seven grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren. She will be missed by her family and friends for her great sense of humor. At her request, cremation has taken place and no services are planned. The family requests memorials to the charity of the donor's choice.

POLSON -- Charles "Chuck" E. Gibbs, Jr., died on March 14, 2003, at St. Joseph Hospital here. Chuck was born on May 21, 1948 in Evansville, Ind., to Charles Edward Gibbs, Sr. and Leeoda (Harden) Gibbs. Chuck grew up and attended schools in Indianapolis and graduated in 1966 from Franklin High School. He joined the U.S. Air Force in 1966. After his discharge in 1973, he joined the Air National Guard in Calif. and served there until 1983. He then returned to Air Force active duty until he retired in 1996. Chuck married Margarita Teves on May 4, 1971, in Japan. After his military service, he and his family lived in Guam for three years where he worked as a computer service manager. He moved his family to Polson in Nov. 1999. He worked for Lake City Electric and then joined S&K Electronics for a year. At the time of his death, he was employed by S&K Technologies in St. Ignatius. Chuck was an accomplished musician. He played tenor saxophone and was a member of various bands throughout his life. Chuck enjoyed boating and astronomy and was active in the Astronomy Club. He was also an active NRA Member and was a shooting instructor. He was preceded in death by his mother; step-father, John Stout; and stepmother, Catherine Gibbs. He is survived by his wife, Margarita (Cristy) Gibbs (Polson); three children: Lee Gibbs (Guam), and John Allan Gibbs and Cristina Gibbs (both of Polson); his father and step-mother, Charles and Irma Gibbs (Polson); a sister, Sylvia Tonkin (Indianapolis); and a step-sister, Sandy O'Connor (Lyons, CO). Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated on March 22 at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Polson. Burial with military honors followed at Lakeview Cemetery, Polson.

SEATTLE -- Charles Francis Hawley died at the VA Hospital here on March 23. He was born in Dixon on Aug. 8, 1917, to Charles I. and Imelda (Morigeau) Hawley. He attended schools in Dixon and Thompson Falls, and earned a college degree from the University of Montana. Charles' work career included service in the Navy during World War II, the U.S. Postal Service and J.C Penney's in Washington. He was enrolled on the Fort Peck Reservation. He was preceded in death by his parents and his wife, Adeline. Survivors include a stepdaughter, Donna Jean Grounds (Puyallup, WA); a brother, Wilford Hawley (Sheridan, WY); two sisters, Gertrude Hamilton (Olympia, WA) and Joeann Hawley (Ronan); and many cousins in and around Montana. In accordance with his wishes, there were no services. Burial was in Sumner, WA.

POLSON -- John D. Hester of Polson, died on March 14, 2003, at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula. He is survived by cousins Barbara Lunceford (Pine Grove, CA), Betty Irvin (Surprise, AZ), and Kenneth McTaggart (Senora, CA). His parents preceded him in death. Memorial services will be held in Polson at a later date. Cremation has taken place under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home and Crematory.

POLSON -- Rick L. Hunter, 48, died on March 19, 2003, at St. Joseph Hospital here from natural causes. He was preceded in death by his father, Bill Hunter, and mother, Shirley Tinjum. Survivors include his wife, Maureen "Micki" Hunter, and her son, Eric Dell (Polson); sons Bill Hunter (Gillette, WY) and Brian Hunter (Polson); daughters Crystal Hunter (Laramie, WY) and Syndee Hunter (Missoula); three sisters, Debbie Jones (Polson), Sharon Olson (Grand Forks, ND), and Cindy Dake (Great Falls); a granddaughter; and his 98-year-old grandmother, Minnie Lee (Wautoma, WI). A memorial service was held on March 27 at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church followed by military graveside rites at Lakeview Cemetery.

RONAN -- Arlene Krogstad Krudde died here on March 10, 2003, after an extended illness. She was born May 30, 1924, in Glasgow. She was the only child of Jacob and Lova Bauer. She attended school in Kalispell. Arlene married Lyman "Babe" Krogstad in Seattle in 1944. They moved to Kalispell before moving to Ronan to start a business and raise their family. Babe preceded her in death in 1968. She later married Everett Krudde in 1978. He passed away in 1980. Arlene studied to become and accredited record technician and at the time of her retirement was the head of the medical records department at St. Luke Community Hospital. Arlene had many hobbies that included traveling in Europe and Mexico. She loved to garden, read, camp and fish. Her greatest accomplishment was raising four children, all of whom survive her: two sons, Lonnie (Pittsburgh) and Richard (Ronan); and two daughters, Laurel Jensen (Vancouver, WA) and Karen Krogstad (Ronan). She is also survived by two grandsons, Tyler and Ross Jensen, and two great-grandsons, Grant and Elliott Jensen (all of Vancouver). A celebration of her life was held on March 14 at Faith Lutheran Church in Ronan.

POLSON -- ClaraBelle Lauman, 84, died on March 24, 2003, at the Evergreen Care Center here. She was born June 6, 1918, in Portland, OR, to Charles and Anna (Conley) McCollough. In 1939, she married Albert Lauman in Flathead County and was primarily a homemaker throughout her life. Survivors include her son, Gene Lauman (Kalispell); her daughter Darline Radabah (Kalispell); and five grandchildren. Services were conducted on March 27. Burial followed at Glacier Memorial Gardens.

POLSON -- Rene Christine Morigeau, 40, died on March 6, 2003, of natural causes. Rene was born in Polson, on Dec. 21, 1962, to Walter "Douglas" and Shirley Morigeau. She lived her childhood life in Polson and attended the Polson schools. She enjoyed riding horses, drawing, painting, writing poetry, knitting and just being herself with her generous smiles and hugs for all. She was extremely social in all walks of life. Rene became very ill in her teen-age years and was unfortunately battling her illness throughout her adult life. She was especially cared for by the mental-illness communities of the Missoula and the Stevensville area. Rene became a resident of Stevensville in 1989 where she had resided at the Genesis House since November 2002. She became best of friends with all the social workers and other residents of Genesis House and Riverhouse. Rene was preceded in death by two brothers, Mike and Kurt, along with her maternal grandparents, Hugh and Lucinda Shepard, and her paternal grandparents, E.W. "Bill" and Sylvia Morigeau. She is survived by her parents of Polson; a brother, Ken (Kuwait City); a sister, Denise (Ronan); a niece, Marcy Morigeau; two nephews, Ryland and Tim Morigeau; and a great-nephew, Johnathan Michael Davis (all of Milpitas, CA) 45 first cousins and their spouses; and numerous aunts and uncles. Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated on March 7 in Polson. Interment followed at Lakeview Cemetery. The family suggests that memorials be made to the Genesis House in Stevensville.

BIG ARM -- Robert Rudolf Ostro, 78, died at his home here on March 3, 2003. He was born on Oct. 18, 1924, to Andrew and Caroline (Balun) Ostrochovsky in East Patterson, N.J., where he grew up and attended schools. Robert joined the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He was a forest ranger in Washington and owned an apple orchard in Washington. He retired to Montana in 1973. He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Milan Richard Ostrow. He is survived by one brother, Andrew Ostrochovsky (Vernon, N.J.), and numerous nieces and nephews. Cremation has taken place. No services are planned.

ST. IGNATIUS -- Jason Charles Pickering, Jr., infant son of Jason James Pickering, Sr. and Melody Plante, died on March 15, 2003, from natural causes. Born in Ronan on Jan. 13, 2003, he joined his family at home in St. Ignatius. He was preceded in death by an uncle, Jonathon Pickering. Survivors include his parents; siblings Skyler Rossbach (Arlee) and Donilyn and Carlee Rossbach (of the family home); paternal grandparents Nancy Estevez and step grandfather Angel Gallegos (Butte), and Jim Pickering (WA); maternal grandparents Francis and Vivian Plante (Arlee) and Virgelene and Joe Raya (Great Falls); great-grandmother Darlene Matt (St. Ignatius); and several uncles and aunts. A traditional wake was held at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius. Mass was celebrated on March 19 at the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission. Interment followed in the St. Ignatius Catholic Cemetery.

RONAN -- Constance "Connie" Marie Rensmon, 47, died March 19, 2003, at St. Luke's Community Hospital here. She was born May 26, 1955, in Lethbridge, Alberta, to Joseph and Betty Kultdgen. Connie lived most of her life in Cutbank, moving to the Flathead Valley in 1998. Survivors include her two sons, Phillip Zahn and Cory Rensmon (both of Kalispell); her father; and two sisters, Linda Losing (Calgary, Alberta) and Judy Calvi (Mississippi). Memorial services were conducted on March 22.

POLSON -- Sister Cecilia Seymour, an Ursuline nun, 98, died on March 15, 2003, at the Ursuline Convent Retirement Home in Santa Rosa, CA. Sister Cecilia, known to her many students as Mother Cecilia, taught for nearly 30 years at the St. Ignatius Mission School. During that time she touched many lives and brought unconditional love, hope and faith to her students and their families. Mass will be celebrated at the St. Ignatius Mission Church on April 6. Memorial contributions may be made to the St. Ignatius Mission, Box 667, St. Ignatius, MT 59865.

LONEPINE -- Bernice Mae Sutton, 86, died on her birthday, March 21, 2003, at the Terry Convalescent Center in Terry. She was born March 21, 1917, in Roundup to Don and Anne Perrin. As a young woman, she moved to Missoula and then to Lonepine, where she met and married Gerald "Smokey" Sutton in May 1940. She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband of 52 years; sisters Dorothy Benzine (Columbia Falls) and Anne Franklin (Hot Springs); and brother Donald Perrin (Hot Springs). She is survived by her eldest sister, Dorene Benson (Payette, ID); daughter and son-in-law, Sharon and Jerry Pisk (Terry); son and daughter-in-law, Jerry and Susan Sutton (Lonepine); and son Robert Sutton (Lonepine); eight grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Cremation has taken place. Memorial services will be announced at a later date. Donations in her name may be made to the Lonepine Fire Hall.


Dec. 2002 Jan. 2003 Feb. 2003 March 2003
April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003
August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003
December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004
April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004
August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004
December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005
April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005
August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005
December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006