Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record

February 2006 Obituaries

RONAN -- Wayne Carl Berg Sr. was born in Fargo, N.D., on July 8, 1939, to parents Carl and Myrtle Berg. After high school, he entered the U.S. Army, where he studied aerial photography. He served a tour in Korea after combat action had ended and entered the Secret Service as a security guard for Dwight D. Eisenhower. Six years in the White House allowed him to earn a degree in electrical engineering from Georgetown University. From Washington, D.C., back to California in the early '70s, Wayne took a job at Pacific Scientific where he designed hydrogen atmosphere furnaces for the space industry. The corporate lifestyle did not appeal to him so he opened a bar and feed store in Riverside, Calif., while dabbling in the insurance business on the side. There he married and started a family. In 1975, wanting a slower-paced life and missing the cold that is genetic to those of Norse descent, Wayne packed up his family and moved to Montana and the Mission Valley where he became a jack-of-all-trades: rancher, retailer, restaurateur and entrepreneur. He is best known for his two eateries, Buffalo Chip Pizza and Trapper's Food Emporium: The Little Place with the Big Taste. Wayne Carl Berg Sr. passed away Feb. 17, 2006, at St. Luke Community Hospital in Ronan. He was preceded in death by his parents and survived by his children, Daniel Berg and his wife Bridget (Raleigh, N.C.), Alaina Berg (Ronan), Wayne Berg Jr. (Ronan); Angelika, Ryan and Mason Sloan (Missoula); Weston Berg (Ronan) and Alizabeth Berg (Ronan). Wayne is also remembered by his close friends, Joe Kultgen, John Gehring, Raymond Peavler and far too many others to name. Memorial services were Feb. 22 at the Glacier View Elementary School north of Ronan.

LOLO -- Ruby Velna Harris Bergstrom, 85, died on Feb. 28, 2006. Ruby was born in 1920 in Polson to Martin and Ida Schliep. She grew up in the Mission Valley with eight siblings. In 1939 she married Max Cullen Harris, which whom she had two daughters, Andrea and Darlene, who were reared in St. Ignatius. In "Mission," Max and Ruby built a dance hall in their back yard to host local round and square dancing clubs. Eventually the couple moved to Lolo to be closer to Darlene and her family. Upon this move, they continued their dancing at the Lolo Dance hall until Max passed away in 1993. Ruby remained in Lolo, where she met her second husband, Carl Bergstrom. In May of 1997, Ruby and Carl were married in Lolo and continued to be active members of the community. They were both involved in different card clubs, Lolo Seniors and were members of Lolo Community Church. Ruby was also involved in various other organizations such as the Lolo Women's Group. She was also a talented artist and craftswoman. Ruby was preceded in death by her parents; sisters Rose Schliep, Margaret Schliep, Emma Blood and June Spade; brothers Arnold Schliep, Robert Schliep and Lester Schliep; husband Max Harris; and various other extended family members. She is survived by her husband Carl Bergstrom of Lolo; daughters Darlene Cook of Lolo and Andrea (Ron) Matt of Northglenn, CO; step-daughter Lynn Wilson (Bud) of Condon; step-son Bill (Tammy) Bergstrom of Woods Bay; and son-in-law Tom Cook of Lolo. She is also survived by one sister, Irene Blush, of Polson. She leaves behind grandchildren Shelly (Kevin) Haley of Eaton, CO; Gary (Robin) Matt of Northglenn, CO; Paula (Jerry) Connely of Lakewood, CO; Taunia (Jim) Riska of Lolo; Renata (Jake) Welch of Albuquerque, NM; Steven and Derek Bergstrom and Jill (Russ) Lindley of Belgrade, MT; and 13 great-grandchildren. Funeral services for Ruby were held on March 4 at the Lolo Community Church. Burial services were also on the 4th at the St. Ignatius Cemetery. Donations can be made in Ruby's honor to the Pinehaven Christian School, PO Box 940, St. Ignatius, MT 59865.

RONAN -- Oliver Miller Bones, 82, of Ronan, formerly of Polson, died on Feb. 7, 2006, at his home here. He was born on July 21, 1923, in Shamrock, Texas, to Walter and Lana Smith Bones. He was preceded in death by his wife, Opal, in December 2005; a sister, Bernice Bones; and brother, Ray Bones. His daughter, Gwen Nelda Bones (Ronan); a son, Stan and wife Janet Bones (Bigfork); and two grandchildren, Mac and Jodie, survive him. No services are planned at this time and cremation has taken place. Arrangements under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home and Cremation, Polson.

RONAN -- Joseph O. "Bud" Boyer, 75, died on Feb. 14, 2006, in Missoula. A member of the Little Shell Chippewa-Cree Tribe, Bud was born on April 13, 1930, in Helena to Merceline Sandine and William E. Boyer. He grew up in the Helena area where he "cowboyed" until the 1960s. At that time he moved to the Flathead Reservation, where he continued to work as a cowboy and ranch hand. He was preceded in death by a sister, Marie Pellew, and a brother, William Boyer. Bud never married but is survived by many friends, extended family, numerous grandnieces and grandnephews; and nieces and nephews Roxanne Boyer of Omak, Wash., Theora Gonzales of Arlee, Rocky Laurence of Arlee and Randy Boyer of Missoula. Cremation has taken place and interment of cremated remains will be at the Jocko Cemetery at a later date.

POLSON -- James M. Brantner, 84, died on Feb. 5, 2006, at his home here.He was born on July 12, 1921, in Bremond, Texas, to Horace and Mabrey Petteway Brantner.Jim is survived by his wife, Shirley (Polson); daughters Mabrey Lee Henry (Lewiston, ID) and Linda LaBonty-Snyder (St. Ignatius); son John LaBonty (Glasgow); five brothers; one sister; and grandchildren whom he loved very much.A military memorial service was held on Feb. 21 at the Polson Community Church. Memorials may be made in James' name to the Lake County Hospice or Polson Community Church.

RONAN -- Kimberly (Maker) Crossland, 45 and a member of the Osage Tribe, died on Feb. 24, 2006. Kimberly was born on Dec. 19, 1960, in Pawhuska, Okla. Her family moved to Missoula in the 1960s, where she attended Roosevelt Grade School and Hellgate High School. After high school, she moved to the Flathead Indian Reservation as a teacher's aide with the Head Start program. Later, Kimberly moved to New York to pursue her life's work with children. She returned to Montana to be near her family during her courageous battle with breast cancer. So many thanks go out to Dr. Stephen Speckart and the staff at the Cancer Center in Missoula. Patty, thank you for all the reading material you kept Kimberly busy with. Kimberly loved children, animals, the outdoors and all things natural. She planted many flowers in hopes of seeing her tulips bloom this spring. Kimberly is survived and loved by her mother, Kim Maker (Charlo); her soul mate and love of her life, Ed Graniero (Mount Kisko, NY); sister Laura Crossland (Ronan); and her brother and sister-in-law, Kent (Rhea) Crossland (Phoenix). She had many close friends who shared in the joys and struggles in her life, some of whom are Karen, Glen and Adam Dicterow of New York; Arleen Dejone; the Graniero family; Duff and Marion Gerrish; the Toussaint family (Sharon); the Hoyt family; Richard Eggert, Pat Hurley and Carolyn Myhre; and so many more. Kimberly leaves behind her beloved cats, Tar, Edie and Blackjack. Kimberly requested no services. A celebration of her life will be held in the spring.

POLSON -- Shirley Ann Hogan, 75, passed away on Feb. 20, 2006, at St. Joseph Hospital here from natural causes. She was born Sept. 20, 1930, to Leo and Ione Witczek in Minneapolis. Shirley is survived by her husband Ray of Polson; daughters Tammy (Jerry) Puglia of Hungry Horse and Jenny Ione Hogan of Spokane; sons Danny Hogan of Polson, Jeffery Hogan of Kalispell and Mark (Merri) Hogan of Missoula; sisters Gloria Chapman, Janice Sorenson, Mary Loken, Judy Dallman, Lynn Witczek, Teri White, Carol Hase and Mari Lee Witczek; brothers Sonny Witczek, Dick Witczek, Tom Witczek and Jim Witczek; nine grandchildren; and four great grandchildren. Cremation has taken place, and a memorial service will be held at a later date.

POLSON -- Irma Minnie Karl-Gibb, 88, of Polson, died on Feb. 24, 2006, at the Evergreen Health and Rehabilitation Center here from natural causes. Funeral services were conducted on March 2 at the First Baptist Church. Interment followed at Lakeview Cemetery.

POLSON -- James P. Knutson, 75, Polson, died on Feb. 20, 2006, at Life Care Center of Yuma, AZ, of brain cancer. He was born to John A. and Pauline Knutson on Aug. 11, 1930, in Shelby. The family moved to Polson, where they were living at the time of his mother's death in January 1934. Jim, the oldest of three children was then raised by his grandparents, Pete and Mary Rau, up in Pleasant Valley. After high school, he went to Polson and lived with his father and sister, Mary. He went to work with his father as an apprentice carpenter around Polson and Missoula. He had known his beloved wife, Lois, since they were young children. Jim joined the Navy on Aug. 8, 1950, and was later sent to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center to go to school. This was in Waukegan, IL, so Lois went out there and they were married by a justice of the peace on Dec. 23, 1950. Jim served aboard the USS Point Cruz and went to Korea. They brought a baby back that had been found by a sailor who was on shore leave. A movie was made about this called "A Thousand Men and A Baby." Jim was discharged on June 7, 1954. They returned to Valley View, where they started farming with 500 head of "old" sheep, and lived there until their home burned on June 22, 1961. Jim's lifelong dream had always been to go to Alaska, so after their home burned they felt like it was a good time to go. All they had left was five children and a toy cocker spaniel. So they sold their farm and away they went; Jim's brother, Bill, went up with them. He loved to hunt, fish and dig razor clams in Alaska. He worked out on Amchitka, where they did the atomic bomb testing, and figured that could have caused his cancer. He worked as a carpenter all over the state. In 1974, they sold their place in Alaska and moved back to Polson. In 1977, they bought Lois' parents' ranch, which is known as the Bailey Ranch. They still have it. His son, Jeff, runs the ranch and has worked for them for 29 years. They did a lot of traveling over the years and ended up in Yuma in 1985. They spent every winter since in Yuma, except one. He had a long haul with the effects from the cancer, and died on Feb. 20, 2006 (his father's birthday). He was preceded in death by three sons, Larry I, Rodney and Larry II; grandson, Dusty Ely; his parents, John and Pauline Knutson; in-laws, Art and Blanche Bailey; sister-in-law, Doris Jennison; and three brothers-in-law, Art (Sonny) Bailey, Johny Cook and Chuck Jennison. Jim and Lois had six children of which only three are still living: Patricia Ely and Jeffrey (Kathy) Knutson of Polson and Suzie (Earl) Owens of Shoreline, WA; five grandchildren; five great-grandsons; two great-granddaughters; sister, Mary (Red) Carr; brother, Bill (Mary) Knutson of Wasilla, AK; an aunt; and numerous nieces and nephews and extended family.

Luann was born in St. Ignatius on Dec. 16., 1955. She was the second child of Gene and Helen (Matt) Leishman, and the oldest daughter of six siblings. Luann was always the best big sister. She was surrounded at home by many of those who loved her when she died on Feb. 1, 2006. She grew up on the family farm in Charlo. After graduation from Charlo High School in 1975 she worked with a tribal youth care program. It was there she earned the nickname of "Kool-Aid" by bringing large jugs of Kool-Aid to work and sharing with her crew. Her compassion to care for people took her to West Side nursing home for several years. Her next employment was the great adventure that took her up the Alcan Highway to Alaska where she was a camp cook at a fishing cannery for many seasons. Luann moved back to Montana in 1997 to help care for her ill father and began cooking at Kicking Horse Job Corps. Luann touched the lives of many with her gift of caring and genuine happiness. She had immense pride in being a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes. Luann had many talents. Her love of cooking was a delight for all she cooked for, and much of her stained glass work and beading was gifted to several people around her. While not having children of her own, Luann was a special aunt to her nieces and nephews. In the order she was able to spoil them they are: Erin (Leishman) Mullins (Salt Lake), Jenny (Smith) Lambdin (Missoula), Christopher Dean Leishman (Salt Lake), Dustin Smith (Lozeau), Paul Graham (Boston), Tim Smith (Missoula), Joe Graham (Chicago), Rachael Driscoll (Big Arm), Betty Graham (Rantoul, IL) and Emmerette Driscoll (Big Arm). Luann was preceded in death by her father, Eugene Leishman (1997); a brother, Francis Dean Leishman (1979); and her grandparents, Louis (Sonny) and Armenia (Sis) Matt. Luann leaves behind her mother, Helen (Charlo); brother Ronald (Charlo); sister (Helen) Marie Peterson and Len (Pablo), sister Patty and John Graham (Rantoul); sister Mary/Peg and Mike Driscoll (Big Arm); a 102-year-old grandmother, Margaret Leishman Clawson (Great Falls); and numerous aunts and uncles. Luann also leaves behind a special friend, Bruce Strawn (Charlo). A memorial service was held at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius on Feb. 6. We were completely blessed to have Luann in our lives and wish to thank family and friends for the help and encouragement during this difficult time. We also wish to thank Dr. Speckart and his staff at the Cancer Center for the five years of care they provided for Luann, and to the Lake County Home Health Hospice. Any memorials may be sent to the Cancer Center, St. Patrick Hospital or Lake County Home Health Hospice in Luann's name.

POLSON -- Fern E. Moore, 96, of Polson, died on Feb. 10, 2006, at St. Luke Extended Care in Ronan from natural causes. She was born on July 17, 1909, in Sheridan, WY, to Roy and Anna Retzlaff Minster. Fern attended school in Sheridan and moved with her family to Pablo in 1918. She and George Moore were married on May 25, 1925, in Kalispell, and they were married for almost 66 years. Fern worked with George in their outfitting business for 50 years. She and George ran the Monture Lodge near Ovando. She did a lot of the books and correspondence and was an excellent cook for the groups that they outfitted. People from all over the United States and the world loved to come to the Monture Lodge to enjoy Fern's cooking. Before her retirement she served as clerk for the Potomac School Board. She enjoyed sewing, reading, refinishing furniture, the outdoors and her garden, and was known for her great sense of humor. Preceding her in death were her husband in 1991, her parents, son Bill in 1962, two brothers and three sisters. She is survived by her son Leonard (Ethel) Moore (Condon); daughter Marian (David) Larson (Hayden, ID); sister Anna Mae Cheff (Missoula); brother Garnet Minster (Kalispell); eight grandchildren; several great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren; along with several nieces and nephews and other relatives. Funeral services were conducted on Feb. 18 at the Grogan Funeral Home. Interment followed at the Ronan Cemetery.

Kenneth G. Morigeau died of cancer on Feb. 25, 2006. Kenny was born May 13, 1961, in Saint Ignatius. Kenny was the third child in the family of Carl and Irene Morigeau's five children. He was raised on the Flathead Indian Reservation in Arlee, where he attended school as well as at Two Eagle River School, with a brief stint at Busby Indian Boarding School. Kenny loved sports and excelled at numerous activities throughout his life. He loved to shoot pool with his friends. Most of all, he was a proud member of the Conf. Salish Kootenai Tribes and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He shot his first elk with a .22 rifle in Bose Meadows. In junior high he qualified for nationals in wrestling. He traveled to California for the event. As a young man he became a laborer and then a journeyman carpenter. He was a member of the Carpenters Union, Local #28. As with his father before him, he proudly pointed to the various monuments that he help build in the communities in Western Montana and Idaho. Kenny's father, Carl Morigeau, and his Uncle Frenchy, preceded him in death, also from cancer. Kenny is survived by his soul mate of 30 years, and mother of his children, Charlotte Wheeler; his children, Johnny Carl, Mary Rose (Tyson), and Rhonda Georgine (Tylynn), all of the family home; his mother, Irene Morigeau; and three brothers and a sister, Doug Morigeau (Robin), Calvin Morigeau, Curt Morigeau (Shelly), and MaryRose Morigeau-Bacon (Charlie); and numerous nieces and nephews and great-nieces and nephews. Funeral services were March 4 in Sacred Heart Mission Church; burial followed at the Jocko Cemetery. Pallbearers were Harley "Jake" Tanner, Davey Burland, Tyon Miller, Craig Padilla, Jay Rasmussen and John Plouffe. Honorary pallbearers Dave Love, Arnie Caye, Tyson Manzanares, Tylynn Edmo, Darwin Zemple, Griff, Scotty Gardipe, Vincent (Spaghetti) Burafato, members of the Carpenters Union Local #28, Clancy Lafley, Bill Tanner, Tony Grant, and his many special friends and family.

ST. IGNATIUS -- Rose Marie Alexander Morigeau, 46, died on Feb. 27, 2006, at 4:40 a.m. at the family home here. Rose loved the outdoors. All her jobs had to do with the outside she loved post and poling, Christmas treeing, pine coning and picking mushrooms and huckleberries. Rose was a traveler; she never stayed in one place for too long. She made lots of friends all along her journey and she adopted many children on her path. Rose was known to a lot of young ones as "Mama G." She left behind three brothers, Richard (Bernie) Alexander, Andy (Florence) Alexander and Louie Alexander; two sisters, Josephine Hernandez and Mary (Todd) Alexander. She had a cousin, Sophie Pierre, she called a sister and two friends that she considered her sisters: Twerp Sherwood and Nee-Nee Sherwood. She also leaves behind her four children, Gabrielle (Charles) Zepeda, Jessica Morigeau (Eric Peak), Tina Morigeau (Travis Gardipe) and Richard Morigeau (Stormy Bear); 11 grandchildren, including two newborns on the way. She also left her husband, Jim Morigeau, behind; her aunts Liz Pierre, Millie Camel and Helen Conko; and her uncle, Pat Pierre, as well as many cousins, nieces and nephews. Rose was preceded in death by her father, Eli Alexander; her mother, Agnes Alexander; two sisters, Cecillia Alexander and Christine Alexander Gates; four brothers, William "Porky" Alexander, Levi Alexander, Isaac Alexander and Francis Alexander. Rose also will be able to join her son, Elijah Allen Alexander; and her aunts, Telah Hewankorn, Granny Conko and Margaret Friedlander. A wake began at the family home. Mass was celebrated in the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission. Interment followed in the Snyelmn Sntmtmne.

RONAN -- Earl Anthony Silvas, 80, a member of the Blackfeet Tribe, died of cancer on Feb. 25, 2006, at St. Luke's Hospital here. Earl was born on June 29, 1925, in Los Angeles. He was raised on the family ranch at Cut Bank Creek on the Blackfeet Reservation. He lived for 30 years and raised his family in Salinas, Calif., before retiring to Ronan in 2002. Earl was a retired welder/foreman who was involved in the pioneering of some of the first automated harvesting equipment in the Salinas Valley. He enjoyed fishing, traveling, visiting, and he loved dancing and attending rodeos. He especially enjoyed being with family and friends. He loved to joke and tell stories about his youth at the Cut Bank Creek Boarding School. Earl was considered a historian by many of his close friends and family members. He was a proud member of the U.S. Marine Corps who served his country from 1942 to 1946. Earl is survived by his wife of 59 years, Betty; five children, Patricia (Bradley) LaPlant of Browning, Jeanne (David) Whiteing of Boulder, Colo., Wayne (Lori) Silvas of Salinas, Sharon Silvas of Browning and Barbara (Chris) Grealish of Boulder; 14 grandchildren; seven great grandchildren; his brother, Gerald "Bud" Silvas of Browning; and his sister, Ramona Davis of Ronan. He was preceded in death his mother, Elvira Goss Silvas; father, Jose Anthony Silvas; and grandparents, Al Goss Sr. and Mary Jane Wren Goss. A funeral Mass was celebrated on Feb. 27 at the St. Ignatius Mission.

POLSON -- Donald Tangedal, 69, of Polson, died suddenly on Feb. 4, 2006, in Mesa, Ariz. He was born near Westby on Oct. 25, 1936. Upon graduating from Westby High School after growing up on the family farm, he joined the military in 1956. He then started his long career in the oil industry, first working for the Ecklund Brothers, then Matador and then Koch Industries where he worked until retiring in 1992. He married his wife, Patty, in 1963. They were married for 43 years. He is survived by his beloved wife Patty, son Michael, daughter in-law Nadine, daughter Christie, son-in-law Brian, and grandchildren Ella and Noah. He is also survived by all of his siblings: Curtis (Janice), Stanley (Muriell), Eleanore Stuckey (Bob), Elton (Yvonne) and Norman (Lyn). He was a member of the Polson Elks Club, Sons of Norway and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. He loved spending summers on Flathead Lake, playing with his grandchildren, fishing in North Dakota, playing cards and golf, spending winters in Arizona, and most of all entertaining friends and family. He will be remembered by all those who knew him as an obsessive storyteller with an infectious sense of humor. He was an astute observer of human nature with an excellent knack for impressions, especially those of the Scandinavian variety. The funeral was held on Feb. 13 at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Polson. Interment took place at Lakeview Cemetery in Polson. (Condolences).

RONAN -- Wanona Priscilla (Burland) Todd passed away on Feb. 19, 2006, at St. Luke Extended Care in Ronan from natural causes. She was born on Nov. 9, 1916, in Ronan, to Henry Harry and Frances Pearl (Ladue) Burland. Wanona attended school in Ronan. She and her husband, James K. Todd, married on Aug. 26, 1950, in Vancouver, WA. Wanona and Jim had lived in Portland, OR; Honolulu; and Edmonds, WA, when they moved back to Wanona's hometown of Ronan. She moved to St. Luke Extended Care Facility in December 1999. She worked as a waitress, a restaurant cashier and had done volunteer work at a Washington hospital. She had no children, but had numerous nieces and nephews with lots of great great-nieces and great-great-nephews. She was preceded in death by her father in 1939; her mother in 1960; and her husband, James K. Todd, on June 19, 1999; and also nine brothers and sisters. Funeral services were Feb. 24 at the Ronan Alliance Church. Burial followed at the Burland Family Cemetery.

POLSON -- Irene Marengo Vermulm passed away from natural causes on Feb. 21, 2006, at her home here. She was born to George and Sarah Arndt on June 3, 1924 in Hardin, MT. She is survived by her ten children, Carole (Keith) Fredrickson, Lynda Frost, Sheila Garrison, Gregory (Ellen) Marengo, Douglas Marengo, Monty Marengo, Bradford (Debbie) Marengo, Cyndi Marengo, Kevin (Peggy) Marengo, and Kimberly Marengo. She is also survived by her brother, Willard Arndt, and sisters, Jeanie (Marvin) Ingraham and Patricia Olsen, along with 19 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren, as well as many nieces and nephews. Preceding Irene in death include parents George and Sarah Arndt, sister Eleanore Ingraham, and her grandchildren Joe Ployhar and Jesse Marengo. Also preceding her in death includes her three husbands, Mitch James, Clarence "Speedy" Marengo and Garrett Vermulm. Irene was known as an openhearted person who would help all. Even though she did not have much materially, she was always giving of what she had. Irene's favorite pastimes where studying her Bible, gardening, making quilts, listening to music and going to garage sales. Irene's love of God and neighbor motivated her to share her knowledge of Jehovah God and his promises. She always tried to be encouraging and help us remain close to our creator. The days spent around her were the days that would make you smile the most. Memorial services were held at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Feb. 25 in Polson.

VALLEY CREEK ­- Raymond M. "Ray" Whitworth, 57, went to be with the Creator on Feb. 9, 2006, at St. Pat's in Missoula. Delivered by his aunt Agnes Vanderburg during the floods of '48, Ray was born on May 18, 1948, at Finley Creek to Fred and Harriett (Adams) Whitworth. He was raised up Valley Creek most of his life and received his formal education from Arlee. A lifelong rancher and cattleman, Ray was active in the industry from his ranch in Valley Creek, as well as helping his father with his outfitter's business in the Bob. He also enjoyed being with his family, hunting and fishing, camping with his friends and a real good visit. Ray married Margaret Jerold and to this union came John and Diane. However, as with many things in life, things did not work out and they later divorced. He remarried Judy Johnson and they were blessed with Jim and Jeri "Sis." Judy and Ray have shared all the wonderful things that they could do together for the last 28 years. He was preceded in death by his father Fred, sister Annette and nephew Shawn Whitworth. Survivors include his mother Harriett (Valley Creek); his wife Judy (Valley Creek); his children John (Frenchtown), Diane (Fairbanks, AK), Jim and wife Laurie (St. Ignatius) and Jeri "Sis" and husband Joe (Norman, OK); four grandchildren Jessica, JR., Connor and Danika; his sisters and in-laws Lauraine and George Johnson (Camas Prairie), Geri Moran (Valley Creek) and Nadine and Dennis Clairmont (Pablo); his brothers and in-laws Fred and Vickie (Niarada) and Floyd and Denise (Arlee) with whom he shared a special bond when Floyd gave Ray his kidney in February of '96. He is also survived by a large extended family of aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews and friends. A wake began on Sunday at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius with the Rosary being recited on Monday evening, also at the Longhouse. Services were held on Feb. 14 in the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission with interment following in the Jocko Cemetery near Arlee.

POLSON -- Beulah Sandenaw Wigfield, 93, died of natural causes on Feb. 9, 2006, at St. Joseph Medical Center here. Beulah was born in Martinsdale on March 21, 1912, to Bertina and Thomas Sandenaw. Her parents were both born in Sanda, Norway. Her father came to America first and settled in North Dakota. His birth name was Torgerson, but since there were so many Torgersons living there, he changed his last name to Sandenaw, which was his mother's maiden name. Beulah's mother was in poor health, and she wanted to go back to Norway for a visit. Beulah, her mother and her brother, Arthur, went to Norway where they lived for a year. While there, she learned to speak Norwegian, and when she returned to Martinsdale, she had to learn to speak English again. When Beulah was four years old, her family moved to Harlowton. Her mother died two years later and she became the lady of the house. By the time she was nine years old, she did the cleaning and cooking for her family. She and her brother both graduated from Harlowton High School. While she was in high school, she worked and kept books for her father's grocery store. On Sept. 15, 1932, she married John Wigfield at his parents' home in Harlowton. John had just finished college, and they moved to some acreage John's father owned west of Polson, in Irvine Flats. They had two daughters, Joan and Joyce. The girls helped their father round up cattle, brand calves and many other jobs. They lived at their ranch in Irvine Flats for 43 years and Beulah spent her time there cooking three meals a day and washing clothes for the hired men, who also lived with them. They needed a lot of help for plowing, haying, milking cows, picking rocks and building a barn. After selling the ranch, they bought a home on Bayshore Drive in Polson, where Beulah lived for 25 years. Her husband preceded her in death in 1993, and in 2000, she moved closer to her daughter, Joyce, and her husband, Marvin Carlyle. Beulah enjoyed playing bridge, going to the Hobby Club and bowling. She was a member of Rebekah Lodge and the Polson Community Church. Beulah was preceded in death by her husband, John; her son-in-law, Nat Scarcella; her grandson, Craig Carlyle; her brother and sister-in-law, Arthur and Loretta Sandenaw; and her sister-in-law and her husband, Ruth and Mitch Phillip. Surviving Beulah include her daughters, Joan Wigfield Scarcella (Long Beach, CA), and Joyce Wigfield Carlyle and her husband Marvin Carlyle (Polson); three nephews; three grandsons; four nieces; three great-grandchildren; several grandnieces and grandnephews. She also leaves her toy poodle, Angel, whom she loved dearly. Funeral services were conducted on Feb. 11 at the Polson Community Church. Donations may be made in Beulah's name to the Polson Community Church.


Dec. 2002 Jan. 2003 Feb. 2003 March 2003
April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003
August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003
December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004
April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004
August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004
December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005
April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005
August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005
December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006