Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record
May 2013

Paul Morigeau, Jr.
SPOKANE — Paul was born April 20, 1934 in St. Ignatius to Paul, Sr., and Merle (Wilcox) Morigeau. He passed peacefully at home May 12, 2013, surrounded by his loving family.

He joined the United States Marine Corps (USMC) in January 1953, and spent his time as a special hand-picked marine, stationed aboard the USS Curtiss AV-4, providing security for H-Bomb testing in Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands in 1954. He was in Operation Castle, which included three of the largest H-Bombs detonated. When he was released from active duty he enrolled at Eastern Washington University, where he graduated as one of the top ten seniors and was elected class president in 1959. After graduating college, his love of the corps, called him back. He was sent to Quantico, Virgina, for officer training. Paul finished second in his class and was picked by his unit as the one they would be proud to follow into combat. He served his country with honor and pride in Vietnam, the Panama Canal, Cuban Crisis, and Operation Desert Shield/Storm with the Nevada Air National Guard 152nd. His military career was 18 years with the USMC and 11 years with the Nevada Air National Guard. He retired from the military as a Major USMC. He also worked with the Bureau of Indian Affairs as Administrative Manager, and retired at age 60.

He was an avid golfer and marshaled at Empire Ranch Golf Course for 10 years. He was one of the founding fathers of the Senior Mens Club at Empire Ranch. He loved to travel and golf with his wife of 32 years, Sandra, and enjoyed the many activities and sporting events of his grandchildren.

Paul is survived by his wife, Sandra; three daughters, Kimberly and Lisa Morigeau, Cynthia (Ray) Peternell; son, Paul Scott; sisters, Lisa (Jim) Siedenburg, of Spokane, Washington, Joan (Ken) Veal, of Douglas, Georgia, Maxine (Les) Julian, of Entiat, Washington; brother, Mike (Janice), of Spokane, Washington; nine grandchildren; six great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

Services were held at Walton's Chapel of the Valley, 1281 N. Roop St., Carson City, Nevada, on May 24, 2013. Graveside services followed at Lone Mountain Cemetery, Carson City, Nevada. A reception honoring Paul was held at Gold Dust West after the service. In lieu of flowers, please make any donations to any veterans association.

Semper Fi Major, you will be sadly and deeply missed.

Francesca Charmaine Peralta
ST. IGNATIUS –—Beloved daughter and sister, Francesca Charmaine Peralta, passed away in May 31, 2013, near St. Ignatius.

She was born February 27, 1985, in Phoenix, Arizona, the oldest daughter of Robert Peralta and Robin Paynter.

She attended elementary and middle school in Milwaukie, Oregon, graduating from Rex Putnam High School.

She easily and freely gave herself to this life through her smiles, her generousity and the laughter she shared with others. She was a force of nature that you felt her energy in your heart the minute you saw her.

Her favorite song was Louis Armstrong “What A Wonderful World” and everyday she found the simple things in nature, in people, that were truly beautiful. She is fiercely loved and devastatingly missed.

She is preceded in death by her father, Robert, grandparents Marilyn and Richard Thomas Paynter.

She is survived by mother; sisters, Holly Peralta, of Polson, and Savannah (Peralta) Vomacka; stepfather, Robert Clinkenbeard; and brother-in-law, Tim Vomacka; and grandparents, Robert and Guadalupe Baker, of Yuma, Arizona.

There is no planned service. Just a quiet personal remembrance of how Francesca touched each of our lives with her love and friendship.

Condolences may be left at

Carol Sue Mapston
ARLEE — Taken too soon from her loving family, Carol Sue Mapston passed away May 24, 2013, in a tragic auto accident near her home.

Born July 22, 1940, in Missoula, to Ralph and Ila Morin, Carol Sue spent most of her life in and around Arlee, overcoming polio and rheumatic fever as a child. Raised on a ranch in Valley Creek, she attended school in Arlee and later graduated from Sacred Heart Academy in Missoula, in 1958, and attended Santa Monica City College, in California, for a brief time. Carol Sue dated Wes Mapston while in high school before he was drafted into the Army. Upon returning from the Army, Wes and Carol Sue were married on March 23, 1959.

Carol Sue and Wes settled on a ranch south of Arlee in 1962, raising registered Angus cattle and a growing family. In 1970, Carol Sue went to work as a rural mail carrier for the U.S. Post Office, where she remained for 30 years, until she retired in 2000. With a limited amount of rodeo competition to her credit, she was a tireless supporter of Wes’s rodeo career, and eventually those of her children. The entire family achieved great success, in and out, of the rodeo arena. Sons, Gray and Ryan, followed in their father’s footsteps as successful saddle bronc riders, with Ryan qualifying for the National Finals Rodeo, and Gray winning the Montana Pro Rodeo Circuit Saddle Bronc Riding Championship. Daughter, Amber, was a successful Intercollegiate Barrel Racer, and became Miss Rodeo Montana and runner-up to Miss Rodeo America. Carol Sue was an avid seamstress, and the owner of Double Horseshoe Ranchwear, and she passed that talent onto her daughter.

Her friends and family want her to be remembered as a servant to her Lord, and to those around her. Always ready with a hot meal, Carol Sue was a caregiver and delighted in spreading the Word of God through Bible studies with young and old alike. She touched the lives of many, and took a special delight in spreading the Word of God in the Native American community, where she was so loved.

Carol Sue was preceded in death by her parents; brothers, Jerry, Bob and Richard Morin; sister, Leslie Morin; and daughter, Raegan (1983).

She is survived by her husband of 54 years, Wes; her children, Gray Mapston, Amber Mapston Schmutz (Randy) and Ryan Mapston (Darcy); seven grandchildren; one great grandchild; sister, Barbara Wilburn; and several cousins.

Services were held Wednesday, May 29, 2013, in the Arlee High School gymnasium, a potluck reception followed. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Carol Sue’s name to Aglow Ministries at, or Aglow International, C/O Linda Schuff at P.O. Box 1054 Condon, Montana 59826.

Elaine Ailport
MISSOULA — Elaine Ailport, 66, passed away Sunday, May 26, 2013, at St. Patrick’s Hospital.

A lifelong Missoula resident, she was born to William F. and Helen Ailport on April 23, 1947.

She is preceded in death by her parents and is survived by her brother, William D. Ailport, of Missoula.

Private family services are planned. Condolences may be left at

Celina C. Lumpry Nault
ARLEE — Celina C. Lumpry Nault, 74, hung up her cleats Saturday, May 18, 2013, at the assisted living facility Closer to Home, in St. Ignatius.

She was born in Missoula, August 14, 1938, to Vic and Josephine Lumpry.

Celina loved working in the Arlee school district. She served not only as secretary, but confidant to many students whom she always had a seat for in her office, whether it be to just say "hello" or a student seeking words of wisdom. She treasured her relationships with students from elementary, junior high and high school.

Celina attended Northern Montana College, she received her LPN degree but decided her heart belonged to the school, and remained there for 30 years.

She is survived by her husband, Dennis Nault; her children, Robin Nault, Shelly Nault-Richter (Von), and Sandra Wolff (Tim); her grandchildren, DesiRae, Michelle, Brittany, Sierra, Jordan, Britton, Dayne, Jaci and Riley; her brothers, Vic Lumpry, Jr., and Dewey Lumpry (Dee); and her sisters, Laura Lumpry and Jeanie Peak (Fudd).

She was preceded in death by her parents; and sisters, Yvonne Lumpry and Vicki Brown.

Celina was very gifted and talented, crafting beautiful gifts and was known for her elaborate holiday decorations. Affectionately known as “Slim” by her softball teammates and friends, Celina was an active player for over forty years and played alongside her sisters and daughters, Shelly and Sandra for many years. She was ecstatic the summer she played with her daughter and granddaughter, Jordan. A strong and accomplished athlete she also excelled at bowling and karate. Her love of sports did not go unnoticed. Celina was a constant presence at many sporting events watching her brothers, children, nephews and niece. You could always find Celina behind the scorer’s bench keeping a flawless book. Grab your glove #24, you’re going in!

Arrangements are with Foster Funeral Home, of St. Ignatius. The family will hold a memorial for Celina this summer, details to be announced. Condolences may be left at

Cecil Nathaniel Trickey
ARLEE — Cecil Nathaniel Trickey, 85, one of the oldest direct descendants of the original Bitterroot Salish Chiefs and a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes, passed away May 22, 2013, at Community Hospital, in Missoula.

He was born March 21, 1928 (the first day of Spring), in Arlee, to Dorothy Pellew Trickey and Nathaniel Trickey. The eldest of five children, he grew up in Arlee and Evaro with family and best friend, Maurice Mackie. They started school together in the Evaro School and enjoyed many adventures growing up.

On June 21, 1945, he married the love of his life, Norma Jean Thornburg. They stayed married for over 67 years. After making a home in the Evaro area they had their first three children; a son and two daughters.

It was during this time that Cecil started racing stock cars and was known as “The Trickey Kid” in his car the “Flying O.” Racing was just starting in Missoula in 1951, and he raced steady until 1957. No stranger to the track though he was known to jump in a car even in the 1970’s.

He took his family to Seeley Lake, in the late 1950’s, where he and Norma had two more daughters and he followed his work in the logging industry. He ran equipment for Jack Long and Van Evans for many years before starting his own logging business.

In the mid 1970’s he moved his family back to Arlee. Except for a brief trip to operate equipment on the Mount Saints Helen’s clean up project, he stayed and worked in the Jocko Valley. He could run or fix any piece of equipment he got on and continued participating in the logging business with his family for as long as possible.

Besides his wife, he was preceded in death by his son, Robert; granddaughter, Leila; sister, Martha (Tina); and two brothers, Floyd (Bud) and Frank (Toby).

He is survived by four daughters, Patricia Farrar (Dale), of Potomac, Susan Carpenter (Bruce), of Libby, Sharon Trickey, of East Missoula, and Judi Best (Jesse), of Arlee; granddaughter, who he raised as a daughter, Sam Leonard; brother, Ken Trickey (Linda), of Ronan; and numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

Cremation has taken place and a memorial will be held at a later date. Condolences may be left at

Terrence “Terry” Michael Wall
MISSOULA — My dad, Terrence “Terry” Michael Wall, became one with Mother Earth on Memorial Day, May 27, 2013.

He was born on April 10, 1944, in Tacoma, Washington, to Samuel Wall and Juanita Dupuis Wall. He was a proud member of the Confederated Salish and Kooteani Tribes. He was also proud of his Irish heritage. He was a poet who touched many people’s lives, always ready to give his poems away. He was hilarious, always joking with everyone. The dirtier… the better.

Terry is survived by his daughter, Lisa Marie Wall-Wilbert, and her husband, Alex. He loved us and his four grandkids with all his heart, and he let us know everyday. Jacob, Stephen, Alex, and his princess, Emmy, are his pride and joy, and I know how proud of me he is. I was his hunting partner from the time I was a baby, and later a team to fight his cancer and health problems.

Our daily visits or conversations were filled with what grandkid had what sporting or school event, or what fun happenings were going on at daycare. Dad always stayed true to who he was, and how he would live. He taught me to be strong, stubborn, and to stand up for myself and others.

I am proud to be his daughter. He is also survived by former wife, Susan Wall, and father-in-law, James Hearn, whom he referred to as “Big Daddy,” both of Lake Isabella, California; brother, David Wall, of Polson; sister, Barbara Hulsey (Virgil), of Puyallup, Washington; nephews, Richard, Joe, Craig, Patrick, Tim, Doug and Sam; and nieces, Jeanne, Teresa, Kelly, Kathleen, Mary K., Colleen, Tracy, Libby, and Jerrica. He also had numerous grand and great-grand nieces and nephews. He is also survived by numerous friends, but a special one I need to thank is Joe Wheeler. I appreciate what a true friend he was, through to the very end. He helped my family immensely.

My dad was predeceased by his parents; mother-in-law, Lucille Hearn; brothers, Richard, Dean and Sam; and sister, Juanita. A memorial will be held at KwaTaqNuk at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, June 7, 2013. I would love for others to share stories and memories. Funeral arrangements are through Grogan’s.

Eugene M. “Little Gene” “Gene Gene Dancing Machine” Matt
ST. IGNATIUS — Eugene M. “Little Gene” “Gene Gene Dancing Machine” Matt, 60, passed away May 16, 2013, at St. Patrick’s Hospital.

A member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes, he was born in St. Ignatius to George Matt and Margaret Barnaby Matt Finley on July 2, 1952. As a child his family moved several times while they worked in the orchards and fields but they always returned home and home is where Gene chose to live after a short time stint in the Army. He worked for the Post and Pole Yard and Housing before becoming a man of leisure.

Coming from a large family, Gene was preceded in death by his wife, Judy, and parents, George and Margaret; as well as numerous other family members.

He is survived by his children, Michael and Angela Matt, Mary Jo and Frank Parker, and Carol Ann Matt, all of St. Ignatius, Abby Matt, of Dixon, Elizabeth Matt, and Mary Matt; brothers and sisters, Victor and Judi Matt, of Dixon, James “Jumbo” Matt and Judy Matt, both of Wellpinit, Washington, Georgeann and Henry Matt, of St. Ignatius, Larry “Lurch” and Verna Matt, of Ninepipe, Duane Matt, of Lewiston, and Doug Matt, of St. Ignatius; 21 grandchildren; 8 great grandchildren; and numerous cousins and friends.

Gene was a man with a good sense of humor, who loved his family and tried his best to help out his friends. He will be truly missed.

Rosary was on Monday, May 20, 2013, in the Longhouse. Services were on Tuesday, followed with the burial the in Snyelmn Sntmtne. Condolences may be left at

Beverly Jean Hamel
DIXON — On Wednesday May 15, 2013, Beverly Jean Hamel peacefully passed to the arms of her Heavenly Father after several years of deteriorating health; she was 80.

Beverly was born in Rexburg, Idaho, on May 4, 1933, the same day the famed white buffalo bull calf, Big Medicine, was born on the National Bison Range – something she was always took special pride in.

Beverly grew up during the Great Depression, her parents, Willard and Edna Sainsbury, moved the family from Idaho to Oregon and then to Washington in search of work. Her 5th birthday was spent on a ship, her family moving again; they spent a short time in Juneau, Alaska, then went onto Anchorage, where the family settled and prospered, deciding only to leave Alaska to avoid the growing military tensions during World War II.

They then moved the Mission Valley where they purchased a small farm near McDonald Lake, and her life as a Montanan began. Her childhood days were spent working on the farm, going to school and traipsing back and forth to McDonald Lake, her favorite place. She was a tom-boy, and the Mission Valley was her playground.

She graduated from Mission High School in 1948, and then attended nursing school at Montana State University, where she became a Registered Nurse, and later a Certified Nurse Anesthetist. Though she loved doing anesthesiology, most of her distinguished 45 year medical career was spent as an Operating Room nurse. Bev was considered an outstanding health care provider and worked at half dozen hospitals during her career, eventually retiring from Community Hospital, in Missoula, in the early 1990’s.

She married Jim Grosscurth on October 26, 1952, at the Methodist Church in St. Ignatius, and gave birth to her first son, John, a year later. He, his wife Terri, her mother Anna, and step daughter Elizabeth, live in Denver, Colorado. Her second son, James, was born in February of 1956; he and his wife, Ronna, and stepson, C.J, live in Boise, Idaho. She has one grandson, Blaine, who was born in 1976, in Polson, and now lives with his wife, Katrina, in Whitefish.

Over the years the family lived in Henderson, Nevada, Little Rock, Arkansas, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and Las Vegas, Nevada, before a divorce in 1985. Four years later she married Jerry Hamel, from Dixon, and returned to Montana, where she happily spent the rest of her life.

Beverly loved Montana, the Flathead Reservation and the people of western Montana. She was an active member of the St. Ignatius Ward of the Latter Day Saints church, an accomplished genealogist and researcher. She wrote two historical research books documenting the genealogical records of the people and service men and women of Lake and lower Sanders County.

She served on the Flathead Joint Board of Control for many years, and after retiring spent most of her days enjoying her life with Jerry on their ranch in Dixon. Their lives together flourished and she became close friends with Jerry’s daughter, Traci Vaile, who lives in Babb, Montana, with her husband, Gus, and son, Ty. She also has a step daughter, K.J., who has one son, Suede; they live in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

She is survived by two sisters, Donna Webb, from Vacaville, California, and Pat Swartzlander, from Henderson, Nevada; and by one brother, Sam Sainsbury, of North Las Vegas, Nevada. She will also be missed by her nieces and nephews, Jeffery, Darren and Katie; Cindy, Sandy and Bill.

Beverly loved living in Dixon and using her medical skills caring for livestock and her many cats. She loved the Indian people and never lost her fascination of the Indian culture, she was openly accepted by the Indian people and was very proud of that.

Hers was a curious mind, always interested in learning and writing about life in the Mission Valley, she grew to become recognized among the most knowledgeable of local historians.

Beverly was a loving, caring, generous wife, mother, sister and friend; she was a good, productive and honest woman whose high standards always reflected the best of Montana and the Latter Day Saints church she loved so much.

Private viewings were held at the Foster Funeral Home in St. Ignatius. Her funeral was at the Latter Day Saints church in St. Ignatius on May 18, 2013. She was buried at the St. Ignatius Cemetery.

Beverly Hamel was a fine Montanan and she will be missed by many.

Brenda L. Curley
RONAN — On May 10, 2013, the Creator took Brenda L. Curley by the hand and walked her home.

Born April 23, 1958, in Polson to Frank Pierre and Alice Lozeau Matt Curley, Brenda's early years found her home living at Elmo, with her Papa Vincent Curley and TiTi Agnes Julian Curley.

Their memories and teachings stayed with her throughout life, as evident in her commitment to education and culture. Brenda recieved her Bachelors Degree from Salish & Kootenai College and went on to receive a dual Masters in Social Work/Business from Eastern Washington University in Cheney.

Brenda was employed in various positions by the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes throughout her life. Prior to her early retirement due to failling health, she was a Tribal Prosecutor. However, her greatest achievements and love was her children and grandchildren.

Brenda was preceded in death by her parents, Frank and Alice; a brother, Ed Curley; a daughter, Lakisha; her Papa Vincent Curley, and Titi Agnes Curley.

She is survived by her children, Alycia and Ceclia Shorty; and grandchildren she raised as her own, Emonie Couture and Eyanah Burshia; sisters, Marcella "Marci" Curley White and Tessie Curley; grandchildren, Darian Shorty, Nizhoni Schaaf, Phoenix and Phawx Charrette; Aunties, Ann Marie Curley and Louise Stasso; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

A traditional wake started on Monday at the Cultural Hall in Elmo with services being held Tuesday, May 14, in the Elmo Cultural Hall. Burial followed in the Elmo Cemetery. Condolences may be left at

David Herbert Morrow
SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA — David Herbert Morrow, 78, passed away peacefully in his home, April 8, 2013. His family was at his bedside.

David was born in Whitefish, July 2, 1934. He attended Whitefish Central School and graduated with the class of 1952. Shortly thereafter, he joined the Navy and served his country for over 22 years. One of his most important tours of duty was his assignment on the nuclear submarine, the USS Halibut. Until the time of his death, he was closely associated with crew and friends from that submarine mission.

David was extremely proud of his Salish Kootenai heritage. He came to Pablo and St. Ignatius, visiting with friends during his many trips home. He traveled the world and especially loved Alaska, where he and his wife had a bed and breakfast. They were also a resource for travelers who wanted to connect with hunting and fishing guides.

David was preceded in death by his parents, David and Eldora Morrow, of Whitefish; his first wife, Lois Watson Morrow; and his son, Michael David Morrow. He is survived by and is deeply missed by his wife, Margo, in Sacramento, California; daughter, Deolinda (Kenn) Willson; and son, Jerry Morrow, all of Portland, Oregon; his sisters, Marla Natoli, of La Crosse, Wisconsin, and Glenda (Thomas) Vollertsen, Anthem, Arizona; his five grandchildren, Brandon (Kayla) Willson, Christopher (Carissa) Morrow, Lauryn, Lyndsey, and Kyle Morrow; and many nieces, and nephews.

A Celebration of Life was held April 10, 2013, in Sacramento, California. He is sadly missed.

Thelma Leona Martin Jungers
ST. IGNATIUS — Thelma Leona Martin Jungers passed away on April 30, 2013. She was born to Caroline & Edward Martin on January 26, 1938, at Vanada, Montana.

Her family moved to Florence when she was two years old. Thelma attended Florence-Carlton School, where she met and later married Dick Jungers. They were married for 55 years.

They moved to Missoula, where they had five children before moving to Ronan, which became their true home. They loved the area and the people. They bought the Pheasant Lounge and after 15 years they added a steak and burger menu, where Thelma did all the catering. After 29 years, they retired.

Thelma was a Boy Scout Leader, Brownie leader and ran Sunday School at the Ronan Catholic Church. She worked at the Ronan School Lunch Program for approximately 6 years. She was thrilled whenever a child would recognize and hug her because they knew her from school.

Dick and Thelma spent their time attending Griz games and wrestling matches. Thelma was very family oriented. Her favorite times were when all her children were home. She loved the holidays. She had a great sense of humor and an infectious laugh. You would never come to her home that there wasn’t a jar full of homemade cookies. She was easy to please, the littlest things made her happy. She was a genuine good person with a gentle soul. She never had a bad word to say about anyone. She was quite classy.

Thelma loved her home and flowers. She loved tinkering. She talked a lot about her grandchildren and was tickled when someone commented “I know your grandchildren are perfect!”

She was preceded in death by her parents Caroline and Edward Martin; her sister, Alice Thoft; her son, Richard Jungers; and her husband, Dick Jungers.

She is survived by her daughters, Terry (Jungers) and Mike Wagner, of Rapid City, South Dakota, Sandy Jungers, of Crabtree, Oregon, and Laurie (Jungers) and Ron Morgan, of Missoula; son, Mike and Aow Jungers, of Lacy, Washington; and a grandson that they raised, Shawn and Raylene Jungers, of Pablo; 10 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren, who will truly miss her.

A visitation was held Sunday evening at the Foster Funeral Home Chapel, in St. Ignatius, with Mass being celebrated Monday in the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission, in St. Ignatius. Burial was Monday in the Ronan Cemeteries, where she will be laid to rest her husband, Dick. Condolences may be left at

Diana Mae Glover Burtch
POLSON — Diana Mae Glover Burtch, 72, passed away on Saturday, April 20, 2013, at St. Patrick’s Hospital surrounded by her family and friends.

Diana was born August 25, 1940, in Polson, the daughter of Henry A. Glover and Evelyn J. (Thompson) Glover. Diana was a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes. She graduated from Polson High School in 1958, and attended Northern Montana College (now U of M-Northern) at Havre. Diana worked for the Tribes in Dixon. In Polson, she was employed as a legal secretary for several attorneys, and also for the Flathead Courier and A-C Printers. Diana moved to Bozeman in 1961, and was employed as Executive Secretary for the General Manager of Yellowstone Park Company’s winter office. (At that time, she was the only employee who had not been to Yellowstone Park). Diana also worked for Dupuis Mill, Tribal Credit, a law firm in Billings, and office manager for the CharKoosta newspaper.

Diana married Ray Burtch in 1961, had three girls: Pam, Peggy, Paula. Diana’s greatest joy was the gardening of flowers, and she could identify each species in her extensive flower gardens. Diana also knitted and crocheted doilies and afghans, which were made for every member of the family. Diana became our "Scrabble Queen" at weekly game shows hosted by our Mother. Diana was grateful that she was able to enjoy these interests with her late mother, four sisters and one brother who all live near Polson—at times even the nieces and nephews participated. Diana also had an amazing ability for recalling names and family connections. She loved watching college basketball and was an avid Zags fan.

Polson teachers, Nina Ford and Neil Devlin, made the most lasting positive impression on her, she mentioned in her class bio for her 50-year reunion.

Diana was preceded in death by her parents, Evelyn and Henry Glover; and several aunts and uncles. Surviving are her daughters, Pam Watanuki (Mark), Peggy Rouillier (Tim) and Paula Burtch; siblings, Jeanette Davis (Norm), Sheryl “Duzzie” Glover, Pam Schneiter (Jim), Lyle McBroom and Rita Vanorio (Tom); two grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews. No formal services were held.

Dalon Wendell Jones
ST. IGNATIUS — On April 15, 2013, the Great Spirit called upon Dalon Wendell Jones, 62, to put his moccasins on, grab his guitar and journey into the heavens to sing and play music.

Dalon was born in St. Ignatius, July 6, 1950, to Amelia and John Jones. He was the seventh son of a family of 11 siblings. Dalon attended St. Ignatius Schools for 11 years then moved to Madras, Oregon, where he graduated from Madras High School in 1969. After graduation, Dalon worked for the United States Forest Service in Mt. Hood National Forest for one year before moving to Tacoma, Washington. There, he attended Bates Vo-Tech and graduated in 1973, with an Associate’s degree in Industrial Electronics. On February 10, 1973, he married his wife, Anita Hill, and went to work for Xerox in Portland, Oreon. In 1977, Dalon became a proud father to his son, Ryan, and in 1979, his family was complete when his daughter, Rene’ was born. Dalon lived his life to be around his family.

After five years with Xerox, Dalon decided to continue his educational quest to be a teacher for elementary/middle school children. He graduated from the University of Montana with a Bachelors and Masters degree in Educational Curriculum and Instruction, in August of 2003. He enjoyed teaching and learning from the students in Bonner, Frenchtown, Ronan, Two Eagle, Pablo, Hays, and at Job Corps, in Ronan, for numerous years, as well as, a year in Fontana, California. Dalon’s favorite lessons, however, were not the history or math books – it was music. He loved to play the guitar, drums, piano/keyboard, flute, and basically any instrument he could get his hands on. Dalon made music, his songs will forever be in our hearts.

Dalon wasn’t perfect by many standards, but he did spend the last five years of his life striving for it. He fought through six strokes and a heart attack, and was attempting to get back into running shape. He was able to play his guitar with a broken wrist and daily worked on regaining his balance, strength, and speech from the strokes. We will always admire the fortitude to push through the adversity with the challenges that life threw him. He could not conquer them all but he definitely defied the odds and anyone who told him he couldn’t, wouldn’t or never will, …well he did it… his own way. Dalon was always there for us in both body and spirit, showing us by his living example what it was like to be a father and a husband, that it was possible for a man to show tenderness, to be unafraid of open affection with us and to be a loving husband. He was selfless with us all. We will always love you and miss you, Dad.

Dalon was preceded in death by his parents; his brothers, Alfred and Dennis; and his sister, Adeline Upton.

Dalon will be deeply missed by his wife of 40 years, Anita; his son, Ryan, of St. Ignatius; his daughter, Rene’, and son-in-law, Jimmy Graham, of Albany, Oregon. Dalon is also survived by his brothers, Ken and Leo, of Kamiah, Idaho, Lubert (Norma), of Ronan, Ira (Alice), of Arlee; and his sisters, Marie Ashley, of St. Ignatius, Pauline (Del) Nickelson, and Vicki (Davy) Belgard, of Hays. Dalon also leaves behind numerous nieces, nephews, greats and great-greats.

Cremation has taken place and a Celebration of Life was held Saturday, April 20, 2013. Condolences may be left at

Jerald Matthew Castillo
USK, WASHINGTON — Jerald Matthew Castillo took the Stairway to Heaven on April 13, 2013. Jay was born in Seattle, Washington on November 09, 1963, to Ernesto Castillo and Harriett Castillo. Jay is a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.

Jay was raised in Mount Lake Terrace, Washington, in the Seattle area. He went to school at Mount Lake Terrace Junior High, got his GED at Seattle Indian Center. He loved listening to music, building models, drawing, being outdoors, reading books, watching sports, visiting with family and friends. He worked for over ten years for the Kalispel Tribe of Indians in Usk, Washington, in the Community Development Department. He was a devoted Dallas Cowboy fan. Jay was always willing to lend a helping hand to those who needed it. Jay was a great friend to all who knew him, and he will be missed by all.

Survivors include his mother, Harriett Conko-Castillo; sisters, Carmelita “Carmen” Castillo, Linda Castillo, D. Castillo, Gloria Bird-Castillo, and Evonne Conko; brothers, Charles “Arlie” Castillo and Ernie “Butch” Castillo; nieces, Glenda Williams, Aiyana Freelander, and Jalyna Castillo; nephews, Christopher “William” Goodstriker (Melissa), Emery “Ems” Williams, Theo Goodstriker, and Raymond “Lil Ray” Castillo; and many more nephews, nieces, great nephews and nieces.

He was preceded in death by his father, Ernesto Castillo; sister, Annette Castillo; and brother, Anthony L. Castillo.

A Rosary was held on April 18, 2013, at Kalispel Community Building in Usk, Washington, followed by funeral on April 19, 2013, at the Kalispel Cemetery, in Usk, Washington. Sherman-Knapp Funeral Home in Newport is in charge of arrangements. Family and friends are invited to sign the online guest book at

Faye “Kentucky Babe” Drowatzky
PABLO — Faye “Kentucky Babe” Drowatzky, 68, passed away at her home on Friday morning, April 19, 2013.

Born on March 10, 1945, to Edwin and Maddie Lou (Taylor) Mills, in Hustonville, Kentucky. She was raised there, and eventually made Louisville her home. She and her family moved many places, and eventually ended up in the Coeur d’Alene area during the 1970’s. It was there that she met and married, Don Drowatzky, in 1978. As a young girl, she had always dreamed of marrying an Indian from Montana and now she had. Don was a telephone contractor and they lived in the Spokane area before moving to Kentucky. But, lack of work eventually got the best of them and they returned to the Northwest, settling in Pablo.

Faye lived and loved life to the fullest. She was a fan of Elvis and was an avid collector of his memorabilia. She loved going to the mountains and camping with her family. Always a practical joker, she loved pulling tricks on the kids.

She leaves behind her husband, Don, of Pablo; her children, Johnny Lee Bryant, Scott Bryant, Jamie Sue Bryant, Don Drowatzky, and David Wade Drowatzky; and a daughter, Dawn, who she adopted out when she was young. Also surviving are her siblings, Carol and Merle, of Kentucky; and her in-laws that she always considered as her “Montana” siblings, Jack, Verna and Glenna Drowatzky; and her pet rooster, Clovis.

A visitation will be held Sunday at the Foster Funeral Home in St. Ignatius with funeral services being held at 2 pm Monday in the Foster Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Kentucky Bluegrass Knob Cemetery in Pablo. Condolences may be left at