Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record
December 2010

Bernard Hayes
ST. IGNATIUS — Bernard Hayes, 78, passed away peacefully on Sunday, December 5, 2010 at St. Luke’s Hospital. Services are planned for later this summer in St. Ignatius.

She is survived by Laura, his partner and caregiver for 16 years; daughter Sherry (Greg) Reed; granddaughter Laura (Jose’) Moreno; grandson Dalton Reed; two great grandsons Jose’ Jr. and Keith Allen; step-children Mike (Nikki) Clark and family of Nebraska, Lyle, Susan (mike) Randall and family of Nevada, Richard in Utah; sister-in-law Glenavon Baugh; nieces Glenda (Jack) Brass, Bonnie and Family, Nephew Ricky (Theresa) Baugh and family of Iowa Falls; nephews Le Roy (Susan) Hayes of Polson, Robert Hayes and family of Billings; nieces Laurie, Jeannie and Helen Hayes of Ronan and Polson, Margritta Hayes and family of Ames, Iowa; special people in his life Tim and DD Krantz; nephew Rod and Nikki Hadley and girls, Adam Pierce, Tootie Lemon and family; and longtime friend Alicia Whitman and family.

He was precede in death by his parents Roy and Florence Hayes; brothers Glenn and Darrell; sons Keith Blood Hayes and Rex Allen; first wife Frances Blood; stepchildren Judy and Joe in Calif., Terry of Iowa, step grandson Charlie Cassill of Las Vegas and niece Sheila Hadley.

In the late 50’s/early 60’s, Bernard worked for the Urselines by milking cows for the sisters, then in 1961 and 62 he worked and milked cows for dairy farms in Lake County.

Bernard and Frances (Blood) Hayes later divorced and Bernard met Laura in Polson in 1962. In early spring of 1964 they moved back to Iowa where he worked for Farmland Hog Slaughter House in Iowa Falls, Iowa. He worked for them until 1970 when Laura and Bernard parted in July and Laura moved to Calif. And he moved back to Montana.

In 1970, he worked and lived with Alicia Whitman, plus looked out for his mother and brother Darrell. He took his mother everywhere she wanted to go, did lots of irrigation, plus worked for ranches in the valley.

In 1994 Bernard and Laura re-united and Laura returned to Montana. Bernard convinced her to stay and they made their home again on the home place. In 1996-1998 Bernard’s eyesight started to fade. By 1998 he couldn’t drive anymore. In 2006 he had cancer and on Sept 29, 2006 he had cancer surgery; 2007 saw chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

Bernard and Laura spent three different winters in California, with daughter Sherry and family, leaving in November and coming back in March. Through the years, Laura took him wherever he wanted to go.

In 2009, Bernard’s cancer came back, which was not going away. No more fishing and hunting for him. Laura cared for him in the home until she couldn’t do the care he needed. Bernard is with his mother, back in her care.

Bernard, now you are free of pain and as you travel your new journey with God, Mom, Glen, Darrell, Keith and Rex, as you still watch over me and Sherry and Greg and grandchildren, I hear you telling me to keep the house warm.

We love you and miss you - Laura, Sherry, Greg and Grandchildren.

Robert Emanuel Noble
LEWISTOWN — Robert “Bobby” Emanuel Noble, 44, a descendant of the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes, passed away on Saturday, December 4, 2010 due to complications of a brain tumor.

He was born in Ronan and was the son of Bob and Bea Noble. He attended school in Arlee and graduated from high school.

He married Jackie Moran and they later divorced. He had a son, Cole Cash Noble, age 16, and a special stepdaughter, Alyssa Moran.

Bobby was known by many friends in the horse racing industry as both trainer and working the gates. He worked with his dad and brother in the Bob Marshall Wilderness as a packer and guide.

He was a dedicated father. He always had a smile on his face and was a friend to many.

Bobby is survived by his son Cole of Ronan; parents Bob and Bea Noble of Ronan; and brother Brad Noble of Ronan. He had many special cousins, among his closest were Stacey, Chad and Laurie. There are numerous aunts and uncles that he was very close to.

There will be a private family viewing and cremation will take place. A memorial service will take place later in the spring.