Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record

June 2008 Obituaries

James Albert Glover
WACO, Tx. James Albert Glover, age 87, died Tuesday, June 24 in the Waco, Texas Providence Hospital with his wife Elizabeth at his side, after suffering a severe stroke two evenings before. Jim and Elizabeth were married for six pleasant years, and had been to church and out to eat the day he suffered his stroke.

Although frail and limited by his health and age, he enjoyed staying in touch with his community by reading the Char-Koosta News every week.

Born in Polson on May 1, 1921, James served during World War II with the Air Force in India, where he was a meteorologist who helped determine by the weather, when our men could successfully attack the enemy. After the war ended Jim continued his college education, using his G.I. Bill money, and became an engineer. Working for Conoco and Petro-Lewis, Jim helped decide where to drill for oil. He and Pauline lived in Colorado, New Mexico and Texas while working with the oil companies.

When they retired Jim and first wife Pauline moved to Sun City West near Phoenix. There they enjoyed the pleasant weather, joined the Baptist Church there and Jim played golf, making use of his decorated golf cart. Pauline was very dear to Jim, and she died in 1997 after 57 years of marriage.

Taking great pride in his Indian heritage, Jim used his gift from the Council of a red, white and blue blanket every day. On their honeymoon, in 2002, Jim took his second wife Elizabeth to stay in the Lodge in Polson over-looking the beautiful Flathead Lake. They attended the re-enactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition. He also drove Elizabeth around the large lake, and took her to see the wild animals in a 19 mile reserve, and also the beautiful Glacier Park, the only national park in two countries: the United States and Canada.

Jim and Elizabeth moved to Waco, Texas in 2004 where they joined the Baptist Church and made many new friends. Elizabeth continues to live in a beautifully restored historic home.

Both wives were redheaded schoolteachers. He had no children. His parents and older brother are buried in the St. Ignatius cemetery. His signed Navajo bolo tie is being donated the Heard Museum in Phoenix. Jim was buried next to Pauline. Both had requested that their ashes be scattered among the roses in the rose garden. Jim will be greatly missed, but he is with his Lord and Savior and with Pauline.

Richard Larry Phillips
POLSON Richard (Dick) Larry Phillips was born November 19, 1930 in St. Ignatius to JG Phillips and Elva Pearl (Blodgett) Phillips. He married his high school sweetheart, Edith Main, on June 10, 1930 at Kalispell.

He was preceded in death by his parents; nine brothers and sisters; and son David Larry Phillips.

He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Edith Phillips, in Wirth, Arkansas; three sons, Richard (Diane) Phillips of Thayer, Missouri; Daniel Paul Phillips of Las Vegas, Nevada; and James (Joanne) Phillips of Polson; and daughter Deborah Phillips of Puyallup, Washington. He leaves behind 17 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren and a host of family and friends.

Funeral services will be held at New Life Christian Center in Polson on July 25, 2008 with viewing from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and services at 4 p.m. Graveside services will be at St Ignatius at Pleasant View Cemetery. Gathering of family and friends at Polson Senior Citizen's Center will follow services. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God (favorite verse from the sermon on the mount in Matthew's gospel).

Kimo Ray Jackson
MISSOULA On June 28, 2008, Kimo Ray Jackson was taken home to be with the Lord. Kimo left us while doing one of the many outdoor activities he loved so much.

Kimo was the third child of four born to Jim and Leila Jackson on March 25, 1981 in Ronan. Kimo's family and friends were very important to him. He could always be counted on to lend his support or a helping hand.

Kimo met his first love and future wife when he was 17. He married Amanda Eggebrecht on February 22, 2002 in Idaho. He was blessed with his "Bink Bink," Avah Tyler on November 8, 2003.

Kimo worked construction for much of his adult life. A few months ago, Kimo quit his job to devote more time to the church he attended in Missoula and to other charitable organizations. Though we will miss him, and all that he would have contributed to the world, we are comforted in knowing that the Lord needed him for a special job.

Kimo is preceded in death by his grandparents Steve Mocko and Rose Bacon, his great grandparents Jim and Neva Jackson, his cousins Chris Weivoda and Devin Mocko and his good friend Aaron Dodson.

He is survived by his daughter Avah and her mother Amanda; his parents Jim and Leila Jackson; his sister Sheila (Shay) Johnsen; his brothers Kono (Carla) Jackson and Niko (Brooke) Jackson; his niece Shyla Johnsen; his nephews Sebastian Johnsen and Cooper Jackson; his grandparents Lloyd and Sally Jackson; his mentor Lanny Bryant; and his friend Terri Braun and other family and friends too numerous to mention. Kimo was a very loving and special person that will be missed by many.

A celebration of Kimo's life was held at the Meadow View Community Church on Tuesday July 8. A memorial fund has been set up in Kimo's name in Missoula at the Missoula Federal Credit Union and the Valley Bank in Ronan.

James W. Dempsey
ST. IGNATIUS James W. Dempsey, 74, passed away on June 28, 2008 at his home in Spokane, WA.

A proud member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribe, Jimmy was born in Missoula on January 10, 1934 to James and Emily "Minnie" (Michel) Dempsey. He was raised and educated in Butte and at Chemawah Indian School before setting out to make name for himself in the mining and ironworker fields. He worked as a miner in Butte and in the Libby area where he also helped build the dam. He also worked in other various capacities, as he was a skilled carpenter and artisan creating many works of art in several different styles.

He was preceded in death by his companion and wife of 37 years Susie who just passed away on June 24, 2008. He was also preceded in death by his parents; sister Georgina and brothers Eddie Fox, Hubert and Robert "Butch".

He is survived by his children Jim, Curtis and Robert; grandchildren Willie, Samantha, Brea, Braylee, Arrow and Elizabeth; close friends Les & Dorinda Buck and Jerry Nicolai; his favorite uncle Francis Stanger and numerous nieces and nephews including his specials nephews who he helped raise, JimJoe Dempsey and Steve Lien.

A viewing was held on Tuesday at the Foster and Durgeloh Funeral Home in St. Ignatius with a memorial Mass being celebrated at noon on Thursday, July 3rd in the St. Ignatius Catholic Church. Inurnment followed in the Lakeview Cemetery in Polson. The urn bearer was Jerry Nicolai.

Larry Michael Rodriguez
RONAN On June 20, 2008, Larry Michael Rodriguez, 50, passed away at Community Medical Center due to complications from diabetes.

Larry was born to Louise Plouffe Rodriguez and Steve Rodriguez on May 23, 1958 in St. Ignatius.

Larry was a proud member of the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes.

He attended schools in Avery, Idaho, Missoula, St. Ignatius and San Antonio, Texas.

Larry worked in Arkansas and Texas as a construction laborer and ironworker.

Upon returning to Montana he enjoyed doing yard work for family and friends. Larry never married or had children so family was very important to him.

He enjoyed playing cards, watching TV, playing pool, putting model cars together, drawing and listening to the radio. Larry had a love for animals as this was known by helping his uncle Roy and Aunt Sandy feed their horses. When he moved to Pablo, he adopted Bear (his nephew's dog), Mike would let him out the front door and Bear knew Larry would be at the back door to let him back in.

Larry is preceded in death by his parents Louise and Steve Rodriguez, brothers Arthur, Joe and Steve Jr., sister Ruby Rodriguez Gillham, grandparents Miguel and Maria Rodriguez, and Annie and Charles Plouffe, also, numerous aunts and uncles.

Larry is survived by his brothers Stanley of Elmo, Ernie of Little Rock, Ark., Charles of Lumberton, North Carolina, and Gilbert of Orlando, Florida, sisters Roberta Morigeau of Hot Springs, Sandra Aldana of Little Rock, Ark., Delores (Sammy) Valles of Atascosa, Texas, nephews Anthony (Laurie) Rodriguez of Billings, Steve (Theora) and Michael Rodriguez of Pablo, including many nieces, nephews, cousins and extended family in Montana, Texas, Arkansas and Florida.

Larry had many friends and was very sociable no matter where he lived or went. He also had a kind heart and would help anyone he could. Larry was "Larry" and we know he touched many peoples' hearts and everyone will always have a "Larry story."

Larry has left us to join his family in a far better place, so as he leaves us we will remember him with his laugh, his smiling face, a cigarette in one hand, a coffee cup in the other and a pocket full of quarters for when he gets to the Pearly Gates.

Traditional wake services started Tuesday, June 24 at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius. Interment followed at the St. Ignatius Catholic cemetery. Foster and Durgeloh are in charge of the arrangements.

Martina "Tina" Andrew
RONAN Martina "Tina" Andrew was born in Ronan on July 13, 1948 and she passed away at the family home on June 18, 2008 at the age of 59.

Tina was the youngest of seven children born to Andrew Andrew, Sr. and Harriet Beaverhead, she was born as a twin along with her brother Martin.

Tina, her brothers and her sisters spent their early years on the family allotment along Spring Creek just east of Ronan. After the death of their father, they moved up to the present day family home or "The Hill" on Mollman Pass Trail.

Tina and her siblings attended and were confirmed at the Urselines in St. Ignatius. Then they went to school in Ronan. Tina and Martin then went to the boarding school in Flandreau, South Dakota.

After graduating and returning from Flandreau, she went to Secretaries School in Los Angeles as part of the BIA Relocation Program of the sixties; through this program she was able to work in Juneau, Alaska for a time.

Tina loved to travel and she and Martin traveled to many powwows with their yaya and selah, Pete and Josephine Beaverhead. She also loved to camp out. She could out-hunt, out-fish, and out-shoot "the boys". She spent many years planting trees and cutting firewood with her brothers before becoming the family matriarch.

You could hear Tina laugh from a mile away. She loved to laugh and joke around, but she also had a big heart to match her big laugh. She opened her home and heart to many "orphan kidz" as she put it.

She took care of her twin brother's son Max after his hunting accident. Tina did her best to live life to the fullest. Enjoying every moment that she could because she knew that life was short. She was also very proud of her 18 years of sobriety - always attending the Sobriety Campout at the Arlee Powwow Grounds and receiving her Trail Blazers Jacket award.

Tina was preceded in death by her parents Harriet Beaverhead and Andrew Andrew, Sr.; stepfather Martin Finley; grandparents Josephine and Pete Beaverhead; brothers Max, Andy and Martin Andrew and Jody Finley; sisters Diane and Geraldine; sister-in-law Enid Ann Andrew; son Douglas; grandchildren Heather Rose, Jonathon Douglas and Aarron Chadwick; grandaunt Mary Small Salmon and aunties Rosie Bird and Angie Matt and nieces Michelle L. Courville Lois Small Salmon.

She is survived by her children Wayne and Marcelene; brother Dan Andrew; sisters Carol Deanie Finley and Levi Lozeau Big Beaver; grandchildren Andrew "A.J." James Couture, Jeffery Adam Wilson, Lawson Sanders, Ronny Patten, Misty Dawn Barnaby, Tashina "Boo Bear" Barnaby, Valdena "Dena Bell" Barnaby, Anton Atwin, "Couture Boyz", Randon Lefthand and Marcus Beaverhead; greatgrandchildren Sky Anthony Raymond Barnaby Harrison and Maria Michelle Couture; nieces Sandra (Tony) Charette, Kim (Mike) Charette, Angelic (Shawn) Shlensker, Brandy Gardipe, Billie Jo Healy, Eloise Currie and Katherine (Candy Bar) Saloway; her nephews Gene Beaverhead (Bink), Chauncey Beaverhead (Lisa), Joe Andrew ( Judy), Steve Arca, Michael Jon (Angie), Marion George Saloway (Jackie), Garette Finley (Jamie) and Junior Gardipe; numerous cousins and extended family, as well as many, many friends. She has touched many hearts and loved many people.

Services began Thursday evening, June 19, 2008 at the Longhouse with burial following at the Beaverhead-Andrew Cemetery on Mollman Pass Trail on June 21, 2008.

Salvadore Zepeda
ST. IGNATIUS Salvadore Zepeda, 59, of Billings, formerly of St. Ignatius, passed away Saturday, June 21 in St. Vincent's Hospital in Billings.

Born in Salinas, California to Jesus and Amelia (Dumont) Zepeda, he was raised in California, Oregon and Washington before joining the Army.

An accomplished commercial fisherman and logger in Alaska, he also owned and operated a racecar outfit when he lived in Texas. He would return to the Flathead Reservation many times in his life but most recently had made his home in Billings.

He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister Alice Hayzlett Zepeda.

He is survived by his brother Frank of St. Ignatius, twin brother Danny of Longview, WA and a sister Lupe of Myrtle Creek, OR.

A wake began Wednesday evening at 6 p.m. in the St. Ignatius Community Center with the Rosary being recited at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Center. Wake closing will begin at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at the Center with Mass being celebrated at 2:30 p.m. in the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission. Interment will follow in the St. Ignatius Catholic Cemetery where military honors will be presented.

Virginia Marie Matt Brazill
ARLEE Virginia Marie Matt Brazill was born in the Holy Family Hospital in St. Ignatius on May 20, 1941, to Steven and Adelaide Parker Matt. She died at her home near Arlee, Thursday, June 5, 2008.

On Jan. 25, 1964, Virginia married her husband Jack Brazill. They were married for 44 years and had two children, Bryan and Bradley.

Virginia was an extraordinary woman. She was the first in her family to graduate from high school. Virginia graduated salutatorian of the Arlee High School class of 1959. She received an associate's degree in medical technology from Gradwall School of Technology in St. Louis. She was also the first to graduate from college in her family. She graduated from the University of Montana with high honors. She received a bachelor's of arts degree in education and a teaching minor in Native American Studies.

Virginia was an accomplished beader and made two beautiful beaded dance outfits for herself. She beaded outfits for her sons Bryan and Bradley, and son's grandsons, Ryan and Bruce. She also made many dance outfits for her many nieces and great-nieces. She enjoyed sewing and she sewed her own clothes and sewed items for other members of the family; making many ribbon shirts and leggings.

Attending powwows was an event that she truly enjoyed. She loved to traditional dance and competed in dance competitions. Powwows gave her the opportunity to visit family and friends and make new friends. She appreciated the dance outfits of other dancers. She was a talented artist and loved to design outfits.

Virginia was an avid reader and spent many hours engaged in books. She was a lifelong learner and was knowledgeable and aware of political issues facing the tribe and country. She kept a person enlightened about politics and was proud to be an enrolled member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.

Virginia was a very caring and giving person. She was willing to help her family and friends in any way that she could. Her generosity and kindness is an attribute that depicts her character and it was truly appreciated.

Virginia's employment included working as medical laboratory Technician in Galen and Deer Lodge. She was employed by the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes as a community health representative. She taught Native American Studies at the Arlee Elementary School for 17 years. She retired from the teaching profession due to health reasons.

Virginia was preceded in death by her parents and her son Bradley Brazill. She is survived by her husband Jack; son Bryan (Kasie ); son's grandchildren Ryan (Denise), Bruce (Angie); grandchildren Deneil (Browning), Sierra, Colleen, Bradley, Colt, Bryeanna, and seven great-grandchildren.

Virginia is also survived by her siblings, brothers Clark (LeeAnn), Marvin (Rita), Steve (Helen), Steven A Matt-Buffalo (Patricia), all from Arlee, and Robert Bigart (Missoula); sisters Margaret Coffey of Camas Prairie, Mary Valeria Plant, Mary Lucy Parker (Larry) of Arlee, Katherine Nick (Usk, Wash.), Charlene Petet, Genevive (Jenny) Matt, Martha Langston, Wilhemina (Willie) Wright, all of Arlee. She is also survived by her loving nieces and nephews.

The pallbearers are Ronald George Tropey III, Francis Jackson, John Francis Matt, Alex Felix, Steven Matt, and Curtis Smith.

A traditional wake began June 9 at the Arlee Community Center. The rosary was Tuesday and the funeral services were on Wednesday.

Peter Lewis (Louis) Plant, Jr.
ARLEE Peter Lewis (Louis) Plant, Jr. took a new path in his life on June 7, 2008 in Pablo. He was born in St. Ignatius on May 29, 1947.

Peter was a hard working and intelligent man who could do anything, figure out anything and thrived on challenge. When Peter started life, it wasn't very easy, but for him it was worth it. As a young boy he would walk to the bus to make sure he was in school because he knew that he had to be educated for his future. He never used excuses to avoid hardship. He became a self-made man who worked his way through night school at Lewis and Clark High School in Spokane, Wash. by bussing tables for one of the best restaurants in town. Later, while working in the orchards in Washington, he knew he wanted to go on to school. He applied through the Yakima Indian Reservation and with the help of his tribe, he attended L.H. Bates in Tacoma, Wash. amd graduated after two years from the Machinist Program. Unfortunately, Boeing was laying off workers when he graduated, so he, with the help of the BIA, acquired his apprenticeship in the Millwrights with his first job in The Dalles, OR. He served four years of on-the-job and classroom training before he became a journeyman and became a member of the Millwrights and Machine Erectors Union, Local 711, out of Portland, OR.

During his construction years, he wanted to make sure his family had stability and stayed in the same school system, so he kept them settled in The Dalles while he traveled to many states for work and gradually was in constant demand by contracting companies. Sometimes he was lucky enough to work around home, so he was able to attend all his kid's school functions during that time. He rose to supervisor in the 80's and 90's but because of health problems he retired in 2001. He and his wife moved back to Arlee in 1999. But for the next several years, he was traveling back to The Dalles every week and working there. After he retired, he started his own business, Saddle Mtn. Fabrications and was successful.

Peter was very proud of his heritage as a Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes member and was proud that he had learned the language and songs. He practiced every day on his own until he knew them, singing with the most beautiful voice. His biggest accomplishment though was being a husband, father, son, grandfather, uncle and nephew.

He is survived by his wife of almost 42 years, Nancy; his three children Tracy (Joe) Antiste, Duane (Jennifer) Plant and Pete (Sunday) Plant III; his nine grandchildren, Casey Plant, Carissa Marcus, CJ Caye, Kolten Antiste, Canyon Rose Plant, Nate Plant, Zach Plant, Sydney Plant, Jarrod Plant; two great grandchildren Isabell Marcus and Kaidence Joe Plant; his loving mother, Mary Val Plant; his brothers Dennis Plant and Darryl Plant and his sister-in-law, Marylin Moran. He also has many nieces, nephews and friends which he cared deeply for.

Preceding him in death were his father Peter Plant, Sr.; his sisters Sandy Lozeau and Luanne Wesley; and many aunties, uncles, nieces and nephews. His most recent loss was his cousin Joseph Moran and his auntie Virginia Brazill, which gives us great comfort that he is not alone.

He will be deeply missed. Good Journey My Love.

A traditional wake began Monday, June 9 in the Arlee Community Center. Interment followed in the St. Ignatius Catholic Cemetery on Tuesday, June 10.

Mildred L Morin
ST. IGNATIUS Mildred Ladderoute Morin was born in Fremont, Nebraska on April 13, 1913. She lived in Colorado and California in her youth, but Montana was home for more than 70 years. She was the oldest child of Martin and Sadie Collins. She passed away on June 6, 2008 in Kalispell after a brief illness.

She was fortunate to be loved so dearly by many, many people and it was the love and kindness she radiated that drew friends and family to her. Family was the most important thing in her world. Joyful milestones in her life were celebrations with hundreds of friends and family on her 80th and 90th birthdays. Her favorite past times were fishing, outdoor activities and wintering in Yuma with family and friends.

She met and married Joe Johnson, whom she met on her Aunt and Uncle Norman's ranch in eastern Montana. With their four children they eventually moved to St. Ignatius and had a small ranch.

Mildred began working as a nurse's aide with the Sister's of Providence at the old Catholic Hospital. When her husband died, she continued to work there and manage the ranch. In the early 1950s, she married Joe Ladderoute who gladly helped her raise her family. Their son, Michael, died in infancy. Joe and Mildred nurtured and raised foster children and grandchildren for many years. Joe passed in 1963 and Mildred again managed a small ranch, mostly on her own but always with the help of her sons Joe and David Johnson.

She married Henry Morin in the early 1970's. Together they had a trout fish farm near McDonald Lake north of St. Ignatius. Their property was a popular hangout for the local grizzly bears, from which she became known as Grizzly Gram or Millie's Woods. She was in two documentaries sponsored by the University of Montana and featured her passion for life and perspective, living amongst the wild life on her ranch.

Her family and friends meant everything to Mildred.

Mildred was preceded in death by three siblings; Cleo, youngest sister Marjorie Burtch of Dixon (twin) and brother Martin Collins (twin); and by her son William Shubin.

She is survived by sons Joe and David from Evaro, daughters Cheryl and Gerry from Kalispell, and numerous grandchildren and nieces and nephews across the Northwest.

Graveside services were held Tuesday, June 10 in the St. Ignatius Catholic Cemetery with Fr. Andrew Maddock, S.J. officiating.