Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record...

August 2007 Obituaries

Theophile L. Traversie
BISMARK, South Dakota — Theophile L. Traversie was born on March 3, 1934 in Dewey County, SD to Theophile and Lillie (Jewett) Traversie who were both members of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe. Theophile was the third youngest of two boys and nine girls. Theophile is the great-great-grandson of Chief War Eagle who is buried on top of a bluff overlooking Sioux City, IA. His father was the son of Mary Bruguier (married to Paul Traversie) who descended from Blazing Cloud (married to Theophile Bruguier) who was the daughter of Chief War Eagle.

Theophile attended school in Timber Lake. His family was the first Indian family to attend that school after attempts to force parents to send their children to Cheyenne River Indian Boarding School. As a teenager, he rode in country rodeos and took part in 4-H activities in the Green Grass District.

Theophile served in the US Navy from July 1952 to July 1956. He served three years and three months on a naval destroyer, making one complete word cruise.

He attended Northern State University and graduated in 1963 with a bachelor's degree in business administration and a minor in political science and economics. Following that he attended the University of South Dakota Law School and received a Juris Doctor degree.

After college, he was a legal aid attorney for the Cheyenne River Reservation. In 1970, he became tribal chairman. During his time as chairman, they achieved funding for construction and operation of a 21 mile water pipeline from the Oahe reservoir to Eagle Butte which eventually enabled communities and rural residents in Dewey and Ziebach counties between Moreau and Cheyenne Rivers to receive water for domestic and irrigation purposes.

From 1972 to 1975, he was a chairman for the United Sioux Tribes and its economic development arm and the United Sioux Development Corporation, which included all nine South Dakota tribes. In 1964, Theophile joined the Bureau of Indian Affairs in the US Department of Interior as a Credit and Economic Development Officer. In 1978, he transferred back to SD as a Superintendent of the Cheyenne River Agency.

In 1981, the BIA transferred him to the Aberdeen area office as a credit officer. Then in 1984, he was transferred again to the Portland area office as a Tribal Government Services Officer. In 1990, he became the Tribal Government Specialist in the Portland office. 1993, he married Ly Sloan after work at Silitz Agency. He was superintendent until he retired in September of 1994.

After his wife was rifted by President Clinton to reduce Federal Work Force, they moved to his hoe ranch in 1995. He raised cattle and horses on his ranch near Timber Lake because that was the dream for his future. He made his home there until his passing on August 28, 2007.

Theophile was a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks in Rapid City Lodge No. 1187. He also enjoyed golfing and bowling.

Theophile is survived by his wife, Ly Traversie of Timber Lake; son, Denie L. Traversie of Jacksonville, Florida; daughter, Leslie Traversie of Portland, Oregon; sisters, Ruby T. Marshall; Ty Traversie LeCompte of Oregon; Celinda Traversie; and Vivian Sampson; and numerous nephews and nieces.

He is preceded in death by his parents, sisters, Violet Rosales, Delma Traversie, Eugenia Iron Moccasin; Georglyn Sampson, and Naomi Molintford; brothers, Orville "Buster" Traversie and Charles Traversie.

Alexandria Marie Fyant
ARLEE — Alexandria Marie Fyant, 15, passed away peacefully Wednesday morning, Aug. 29, 2007 in her mother’s loving arms, at home in Arlee while surrounded by her family. Alex had fought leukemia for the last two years.

Born in Missoula July 1, 1992, to Betty Steele and Benjamin Fyant, she was raised and educated in Dixon and later, Arlee schools.

She had a generous and caring heart that she shared with her family and friends. She loved spending time with her family and friends. She enjoyed shopping first and foremost, and crafts, skiing, playing soccer, her animals KC and Shorty, Sylvester, Patches, Buttons, Sparkles and Baby.

She was preceded in death by her grandparents, Mathew and Josephine Steele and Louie and Adeline Fyant; uncles, Melvin and Robert Steele, Everett Fyant and Eddie Vanderburg; aunts, Carole Pierre, Cecilla “Peewee” Mason, Rose Vanderburg Sheridan; and cousin, Tasheena Cote; and her special grandpas, Fred Decker and Francis Rollins.

She is survived by her parents, Betty Steele and Benjamin Fyant; her special grandma, Eileen Decker; her brothers, Francis (Kaetie) Brown and Roland (Gayle) Brown; nieces, Luliana, Mal-Lee Nathaylia, Errin, Cynthia and Madison; nephews, Hunter and Hiram; sister/cousins, Breanna Bertsch and Amber Steele; and brother/cousins, Thomas, Michael, John Emery Steele; as well as numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

Patricia Darline Anderson
RONAN — Patricia Darline Anderson, 82, of Ronan, passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at St. Luke Community Hospital. Patricia was born November 28, 1924 in Musselshell, Montana to Patrick J. and Iva (Thompson) Mitchell. She was one of nine children, all of whom preceded her in death.

She graduated from Ronan High school where she developed many friendships that remained strong through out her life. In June of 1943, she married her husband of 64 years, Harold E. Anderson.

Fondly called Pat, she shared the joys, sorrows and life happenings with many in her circle of life. The wonderful gift of hospitality was a strong quality she shared with Harold as they opened their home and hearts in the same manner as her beloved in-laws, Anton and Jessie Anderson. Pat’s loving nature, serving as the primary caregiver in their final years, will always be remembered and appreciated.

Both she and Harold felt very honored one year when they were asked to serve as Grand Marshals of the Ronan Pioneer Days' parade. Pat was well known as a collector of personal treasures, which lent it self to being active in many local community historical preservation activities. She served as Secretary-Treasurer of the Heritage Association up until the time of her death and, along with Harold, enjoyed assisting with the development and maintenance of the Garden of the Rockies Museum.

Survivors include husband Harold at the family home in Ronan; daughters, Jackie Simmons (Jerry) of Lakeside; JoAnn Marmon (Mike) of Ronan; and son, Alan A. Anderson of St. Ignatius. Six grandchildren all reside in western Montana and include Toni Lee Sias; David Marmon; Shane, Shad and Chancy Anderson; Victoria Murphy. A grandson, Jeffrey Parker-Slater preceded Patricia in death in 1991. Her grandchildren brought great joy to her life by the addition of 16 great grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren.

Regarded as more than a sister-in-law, Patricia will be especially mourned by Harold’s siblings, Burton D. Anderson (Becky); Elaine Fugatt; and June Stromme (Wayne); all from the Portland, Oregon area and Duncan Bingham, the widower of Pauline from Nampa, Idaho.

Special extended family members who called her Mom or Grandma Pat, as well as nieces and nephews too numerous to mention will also miss her special touch of making them feel as welcome and valued as if they were her own.

The family requests that memorials be made to the Garden of the Rockies Museum.

John Daniel Armstrong
ARLEE — John Daniel Armstrong, 42, our loving husband, son, brother and father, passed away peacefully in his sleep on August 31, 2007 in Maui, Hawaii of cardiac arrest.

John was born August 18, 1965 to Mert and Sharon Armstrong at Community Hospital in Missoula. He grew up in Arlee where he attended school.

He was so proud to be part of the 1981 state championship football team. He also participated in baseball and track. After high school he joined the Navy. After returning from the Navy, John started his construction career as a laborer, then John was a pipefitter/welder, and then moved on to be a superintendent for Alstom Power. From there he went to his current dream job as a project manager for Good Fellows Construction in Maui.

John is survived by his parents, Mert and Sharon of Missoula; wife, Molly of Maui; his children, Mercedes of Stevensville, and Makaio of Maui; brother, Jim (Anna); and sister, Jennifer (Mike); nieces and nephews, Amanda, Clay, Shelby, Michael, and Ryann and numerous other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held with interment at the Jocko Cemetery.

Foster and Durgeloh Funeral Home of St. Ignatius are assisted the family with arrangements.

Roy A. Lafromboise
SANTA ROSA, Cali. — Roy A. Lafromboise passed away unexpectedly, Sunday, August 5, 2007 at the age of 56 from complications after surgery in Santa Rosa, CA.

Roy was a proud member of the Blackfeet Nation and considered it his life’s work to help develop housing and administration for his Tribe as well as various other Tribes. He was the Tribal Administrative Officer for the Dry Creek Rancheria in Northern, CA.

He graduated with a BS in Business from Eastern Montana College in Billings, Montana and served in the Navy on an aircraft carrier in Albany.

Roy had many hobbies such as photography, coin collecting, reading, researching family ancestry and all Native American history. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing, barbequing and was a real “people person”. He was always interested in a person’s story if they were willing to share it and was always ready to help someone out in their time of need. He was truly happy when he was spending time with his family and some of his proudest moments were when his grandchildren were born.

Roy is preceded in death by his mom and dad, Robert and Rosalie LaFromboise, his sister, Mary Ellen Matt, brothers, TJ and Steve LaFromboise and daughter Tracy LaFromboise.

He is lovingly survived by his wife Lorene LaFromboise; sons Royce and Joseph LaFromboise; goddaughter April Roll-Youpee; grandchildren Kaiden and Ashlynn LaFromboise; brothers Conrad, Jeff and Don LaFromboise and their families; sisters Lois Slater, Lorna Morgan, Victoria LaFromboise, Lori Harris and their families; adopted brother Ernest Olson, extended brothers and sisters of his wife Lorene and numerous nieces and nephews.

John Art Bower
PROCTOR — John Art Bower, 88, of Proctor, passed away on natural causes on the family ranch Wednesday August 29, 2007. Art was born in Eudora, Montana in November 1918, to Paul C. and Ilma Adams Bower.

He was a Sea-Bee in World War II. He was a dozer operator building airstrips at Adak, Alaska. He helped build the airstrips that carried the 1st atomic bomb to Hiroshima.

He was married to Barbara Lawrence on Sept 19, 1942. They lived and ranched in the big draw in Elmo for several years. Later they moved to Proctor where he resided.

He was a true cowboy at heart. Over the years he raised sheep, cows, horses and a lot of hell. He could make any set of woods look like a park with his bulldozer skills. Even in his 80’s he wanted to work an 8-hour day, but watching the Western channel was still a highlite of his day.

Dear old grandpa Buddy, I will miss you and I will take good care of your mule.

Art was preceded in death by his wife of 62 years, a brother Jim Bower, sister Erma Jaques and sister Betty Jaques who passed away one day before Art.

He is survived by a daughter Frosty and husband Larry Johnson of Post Falls, Idaho, granddaughter Rhonda and husband Les Walter, and very special great grandchildren Jessica and Justin McCracken all of Columbia Falls. Art is also survived by brother Paul Bower of Pablo, sisters Jane Weeks of Springfield, Oregon and Shirley Puyear of Bismarck, North Dakota and very special friend Bob Stolz of Proctor.

Maureen Ann Sweeney
POLSON — Maureen Ann Sweeney, age 72, of Polson passed away on August 28. She was born in Deer Lodge, Montana to John and Esther Thomas. Her mother was a schoolteacher and her father worked for the Burlington-Northern Railroad. They moved often throughout Montana, Washington and California. Maureen graduated from a Catholic high school in California and went on to college in Seattle, WA. She moved to Montana in the late 60’s. Maureen and James Sweeney had a daughter in 1974 in Polson.

Maureen worked at the Lake County Courthouse for 31 years. She was budget director and airport secretary for a number of years. Maureen enjoyed working in her gardens, going to yard sales and spoiling her grandchildren and cats. She was a very strong and caring person, and will be deeply missed.

Her parents and two brothers precede her in death. She is survived by her daughter Shannon (Kevin) Turner and their children Allen and Ashley.

Memorial services will be held Friday, September 7 at 1 p.m. in the St. Andrew Episcopal Church in Polson. A reception will follow the services with inurnment to follow at Lakeview Cemetery. Cremation and arrangements are by Grogan Funeral Home and Crematory. Condolences may be sent to the family at

James Wesley Brubaker
MISSOULA — James Wesley Brubaker, Sr., 77, passed away on Monday, August 27th at Community Hospital from injuries he received in an auto accident from earlier this year.

Born April 28, 1930 in St. Ignatius to Harry and C. Marie (Day) Brubaker, he was raised and educated in St. Ignatius. He married Beulah Irene Cote in 1960 and they made their home in Arlee where they farmed and ranched while raising eight kids. In 1968, he separated from Beulah and moved to Billings and the Custer area where he owned a bar and had a band. He remarried to Millie Christiansen in 1974.

An accomplished musician and artist, he was known for his watercolors and for playing steel. He worked as a truck driver and delivered furniture for many years. He also took great joy in being with his grandkids and was very active with them, taking them swimming and such. He was very good making sure that all were happy. He also loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting and camping.

He was preceded in death by his son Art Shepard and his brothers and sisters Harry Brubaker, Wilda Hausauer, LaVaughn Fagan France, Eldin Brubaker and Carol Larson.

He is survived by his children James W. (Debby) Brubaker, Jr., Eldin Brubaker and Bryan Brubaker all of Missoula, Daren Brubaker of Valdez, Alaska and Jackie (Dan) Tromp of Pablo, MT as well as numerous nieces, nephews cousins and grandkids,

Richard A. Bourdon
ST. IGNATIUS — Richard A. Bourdon was born on April 14, 1952 in St. Ignatius to Susan and Art Bourdon. After battling many illnesses, he went to be home with the Lord and join his loved ones who passed before him on August 24, 2007 in Missoula, MT.

Richard was a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation. Through the years he had accomplished many great things. He was a minister, a professional Golden Gloves Boxer and a caring and loving father and dad to his children and many others who he opened his home to.

His life had many ups and downs. At a young age, he was placed in foster homes along with his brothers Duane, Calvin and Art and was faced with many challenges.

While in school in St. Ignatius, he tried out for boxing. It did not take him long to find out that he excelled in the sport. He said “Finally I have found the attention I’ve been looking for.” He was a great athlete.

Boxing became the only important thing to him at the time in his life. He dedicated his life to his new career and won the Golden Gloves Championship for 3 years - first in Montana, then New Mexico and later on to Las Vegas where he boxed Sugar Ray Seal and lost.

He loved the woods and was an avid hunter who, in 1987, bagged a moose on the Reservation that scored second in the Boone and Crockett records.

As a minister, he said, “My Reservation lies in a valley that is surrounded by a chain of mountains. I started to climb those and half way up, someone took my hand and was helping me climb, I looked up and I knew it was the Lord. ‘What does this mean?’ I asked. He said one day I would make it over that mountain, I will go down into the valley and tell all my people what He has done for me.” Soon after doors began to open for him and Richard was back on his Reservation. It was not easy at first for remembered the old Richard as the alcoholic, the murderer and fighter.

He is survived by his children Billie Jo (Don) Caduiax (sic), Samuel (Lawyn) Bourdon, Daniel “Jr.” (Bobby Jo) Bourdon, Rhonda (Manuel) Bourdon, Susie (Bubba) Winchester, Valerie (R.M) Bourdon and Angela (Anthony) Bossy; foster kids Delbert Patten (Colleen), Fredrick Patten, Gwendolyn Johnson, Dr. Timothy (Freedom) Johnson, Sylvia (Richard) Gomez and Theresa Patterson; brother Calvin Bourdon; aunt Clara Bourdon; uncles Eneas Adams and Bill Bourdon; many grandchildren and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

His services were held on Wednesday in St. Ignatius.

Casey Allen Zepeda
ST. IGNATIUS — Casey Allen Zepeda, 35, of St. Ignatius, went to join the ancestors at his home on Friday.

Born April 25, 1972 in Ronan, MT, to Clarice Matt and Frank Zepeda, he was raised and educated in St. Ignatius. After high school Casey went to Seattle to study cosmetology and made his home in the Longview/Seattle area. While in Tacoma he met his partner Bill King. He and Bill returned to Casey’s hometown of St. Ignatius in the late 1990’s to renew his heritage and to be with his family where he and Bill have made many new friends.

Casey enjoyed the outdoors; whether it was fishing or picking berries, he always had a good time. He also enjoyed visiting and making people laugh. One could not ask for a more caring person and friend.

He is preceded in death by his grandparents Margaret Finley Matt, Amelia Zepeda and Mickey Dumont and his aunt Alice Zepeda.

He is survived by his partner of 13 years Bill King, his parents Clarice and Frank Zepeda, brother Charles (Gabrielle) Zepeda and sisters Alice Zepeda, all of St. Ignatius, and Cecille (Brent) Barlow of Las Cruces, NM; four nieces and nephews as well Bill’s two daughters and three granddaughters; his goddaughter Jay; his adopted moms Barb Oliver and Debi Cadeaux, both of St. Ignatius; Judy Burgin of Shelton, WA and adopted sister Shawn of Shelton; close friends David of Seattle; Jerry of Tacoma and Mark of Arlee and numerous cousins, aunties, uncles and friends.

Martina Ashley
ST. IGNATIUS — Martina Ashley, 94, was welcomed into the loving arms of our Lord, and greeted by her waiting family and friends who had passed before on Friday evening, August 24. She was preceded in death by her husband, “Mitch” Ashley, and her immediate family of eight sisters and two brothers.

She was known as Momma, Granny, Tina, Auntie and friend. She was a woman of many names. Martina was born to Catherine and Jean Louie Azure on the Turtle Mountain Reservation in North Dakota June 25, 1913. She attended the boarding school at Fort Totten in North Dakota and later the Chemawa Boarding School in Oregon. She concluded her education in Alemeda, California. In 1933, she came to the Flathead Reservation and fell in love with Mitch Ashley. They were married for 34 years until his death in 1972.

Martina was a mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, wife and friend. She brought the meaning of love, acceptance, humor, empathy and courage to the many lives she touched. She will be greatly missed, but we are left with her spirit and memories of a life well lived.

Martina was known as a great cook. She ran the Montauk café in St. Ignatius for 20 years. She also cooked for the Salish Elders for 17 years. Martina had a fabulous reputation for baking pies. She enjoyed playing bingo with her life-long friend Erica Mitchell and loved working crossword puzzles.

Martina leaves behind one daughter, Lorraine Courville; four grandchildren, Jamie (Vanessa) Courville, Leigh Ann (Jeremy Crooks), Marvin (Amy) Courville and Stacy Courville; seven great grandchildren Madison, Max, Ashley, Tyler, Abbey, Stephanie and Michael Courville. Some of Martin’s nephews and nieces include Jo Ann Roullier, Charles (Coco) Blood, Louie (Clione) Blood, Patty (Jim) Bundy, Gloria (Keith Artis), the late George Blood, Thomas Plouffe, Dennis Plouffe and Jerry Ashley. Several other nieces and nephews reside in North Dakota, Washington, Illinois and Florida.

A Rosary was held at the St. Ignatius Catholic Church on Wednesday at 7 pm., August 29. The funeral and Mass will be conducted on Thursday, August 30, at 10 am. Interment will be in the St. Ignatius Catholic Cemetery.

Her family invites all that knew and shared the life of Martina Ashley to join them for a meal following the funeral at the Parish Hall in St. Ignatius.

Vuelta L. “Bella” Clairmont
POLSON — Vuelta L. “Bella” Clairmont, age 86 of Polson, passed away from natural causes on Sunday, August 26, 2007, with her family at her side.

Bella was born on February 25, 1921 in May, Idaho to Verne and Lydia Hammond. Bella graduated from St. Ignatius High School and then went on and completed schooling at the Missoula Beauty School.

She owned and operated her own beauty salon in St. Ignatius for two years.

On October 17, 1940, Bella married Alexander “Sam” Clairmont in Wallace, Idaho. She sold her beauty salon to be with her husband and raise their family. Her family was her whole life. The family went everywhere together. The Clairmont family built their log home together on Sunset Bay on Flathead Lake.

Bella also loved to dance.

Her parents, her beloved husband Sam, brother Bill Hammond, sister Eileen DesJarlais, granddaughter Christen Clairmont and grandson Elias Clairmont preceded her in death.

Her children Jane Clairmont of Polson, Steve (Terry) Clairmont of Polson, Carol (Ron) Phillips of St. Ignatius, Jim (Judy) Clairmont of Ronan, Wendy Clairmont of Polson, 13 grandchildren, 31 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild survive Bella.

Condolences may be sent to the family at

Dolores Rose Krause, Ed.D
MISSOULA — Dolores Rose (Morin) Krause was born on August 23, 1937, in Belcourt, ND, to Joseph and Agnes (Brunelle) Morin. After battling numerous illnesses, including diabetes, Delores journeyed peacefully, joining the Creator and those loved ones who passed before her, on August 16, 2007 in Missoula.

Dolores was an enrolled member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians from Belcourt, North Dakota. She was very proud of both her French and Indian ancestry. She spent her early years in, and around Belcourt and Wolf Point, Montana, where she also had family. One of her fondest memories of childhood was riding to the movies in a horse-drawn sleigh, covered by buffalo robes to shield her from the cold, snowy, North Dakota winters.

Dolores moved to the Williston, North Dakota, area where she was married to Merven Comstock, and where her four children were born and raised. She and Merven were late divorced.

It was at Williston College where Dolores formally began her lifelong quest for learning, in the early seventies. This formal education culminated in her attainment of her Doctorate of Higher Education from the University of Washington in 1987.

Dolores lived in the Seattle area from 1975-1995, where she studied, worked, made and enjoyed many lasting friendships, met and married her devoted and loving husband, Jim. As Jim’s work took them to many places, Dolores delighted in the opportunity to see much of the world, including Saudi Arabia, France, England, Pakistan, Egypt, Africa, Spain, Greece and Sweden.

Upon Jim’s retirement in 1995, the couple moved to the Flathead Reservation. This is where Dolores spent her remaining years.

Dolores’ passions included reading (she leaves behind a massive collection of books by, and about American Indians), porcelain doll making and traveling. She cared deeply about her family.

Dolores was preceded in death by her parents, brother Stephen Morin, daughter Becky Comstock, and grandson Justin Comstock. She leaves behind her husband, Jim, son Richard Comstock of Santa Barbara, CA, son Carmen Comstock (Teri) of Lacey, WA, daughter Starla (Kim) Klevenberg of Missoula, MT, and six grandchildren, Nathan Comstock of San Francisco, Luke (Tara) Comstock and their children Eden and Gage of Olympia, WA, Wesley (Jessica) Comstock and their daughter Mikayla of Lacey, WA, Josh Comstock of Seattle, WA, Angela Klevenberg of Boise, ID, and Kelsey Klevenberg of West Glacier, MT. In addition, she has many remaining family members and friends on the Turtle Mountain Reservation and elsewhere.

The family would like to thank the St. Luke’s Hospital Staff in Ronan, Community Medical Center in Missoula and Village Health Care Center in Missoula for their excellent professional care. Special thanks to Dr. Eyler and Dr. Lemire for their ongoing care of Mom over the years and during this last difficult period. Thanks as well to others who have been there for her and us. The family suggests that memorials be made to the American Diabetes Association.

Rosalynn M. Salois
POLSON — Rosalynn M. Salois, age 29 of Polson, passed away on August 7, 2007. Rosalynn was born on December 13, 1977 to Debra A. Mercurio and Kelly Salois at Polson, MT.

Rosalynn graduated from Great Falls High School. She spent 8 years with Andrew Vincent of Helena and was a loving mother of 3 children. Rosalynn loved music, flowers and especially children. She was an enrolled member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.

Rosalynn’s father preceded her in death. Her mother Debra Mercurio, sisters Jaime Harsell Chavez, Athena Gabrielle Mercurio, grandparents Juanita Marquardt, Alice Matt and Steve Salois, aunts Jennifer Evens of Troy, Durretta Billedeaux, Kim Marquardt of Pablo, uncles Britt Salois, Gary “Bear” William Salois and other nieces, nephews and friends, survive her.

Funeral services were held at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Ronan with Father Drew Maddock officiating. Internment followed at the Ronan Cemetery.

Condolences may be sent to the family at

Tina Louise Wynne
ELMO — Tina Louise Wynne, Elmo, was called away on August 1, 2007 due to a car accident near Lame Deer, MT.

Tina was born in Polson, MT to Delinda Finley and Alvin “Bob” Wynne on December 3, 1985, a mere twenty one years ago, bursting with an infinite zest for life. A typical native girl and proud of it, she surpassed “boring” early on with such keen interests and hobbies, including reading, writing and art. She loved her music and one of her favorite things to do was share it all, burning cd’s for friends and family. Another favorite pastime was the computer, either e-mailing her close friend Ramone Branden on the internet, specifically at and the hours she spent telling I-net stories, findings or meetings almost seemed to equal the actual time spent there. She always shared so much of herself.

She graduated from Two Eagle River School in 2004, then in 2005, young Tina moved to Lame Deer, MT, with her life partner Josh Peppers. On October 25, 2005 their daughter Qwelu Peppers was born. Of course, her added role of “Mother” only enhanced the beautiful ambitious young lady she had become. Calls home were then always to include the “Qwelu says/does/did this now...”

Not that motherhood in any way slowed this active spirit down. She enrolled in Dull Knife College and was an honor roll student scheduled to graduate with an Associates in Arts in 2008. She received many educational scholarships, one this fall was for $5,000 from the American Indian College Fund. She was next reaching for her bachelor’s degree, and eventually wanted to return home to work in the field of forensics.

She was preceded in death by her grandmother Nancy Lefthand Joseph; her grandfather George Wynne; a brother Frankie Nicolai and friends Tyler and Justin Benoist.

She leaves behind her mother Delinda Finley (Frank Nicolai) and father Bob Wynne (Cleo Kenmille); sisters and brothers Ramona Wynne, Amak Kenmille, Douglas Wynne, Dominic Martinez, David Martinez, Mary Nicolai, Matt Nicolai and Bodrea Nicolai.

Pallbearers were Matt Nicolai, James Quequesah, Dale Joseph, Dane Kenmille, Michael Steele and Thomas Steele. Honorary Bearers were all her sisters, brothers, aunties, uncles, Phillip and Christopher Benoist and Romone Branden. The cross bearer was David Martinez. Foster and Durgeloh Funeral Home assisted the family with arrangements.

Emmertt Sharp
POLSON — Emmertt Sharp passed away at his home in Polson on August 2, 2007 at 3 a.m.

Emmertt was born on January 26, 1922 in Richland Center, Wisconsin. He was the thirteenth of the fourteen children of Barbara and William Sharp. His older brothers and sisters gave him his name. Each of them wrote down a name and threw their choice into a hat. His sister Dorothy’s choice was drawn out, and Emmertt had a name.

Although his mother passed away when he was only five, Emmertt never lacked for love and attention. His father and his siblings doted on him. He was a happy and extremely active child with a great sense of humor, like the rest of the family.

Because baseball was a passion of all the Sharp men, Emmertt grew up playing all the time with his brother’s, and showing an amazing talent for it. He was pitching for the men’s league team when he was only 13 years old. He was widely known as the “kid pitcher”. He once pitched a no-hitter at the age of 16 against a team that had several semi-pro ball players. When he was older he was given a tryout for the St. Louis cardinals. That was about the time the United States entered World War II, and the careers of all aspiring baseball players were put on hold.

Emmertt was drafted and spent the next three years as a soldier in the 30th Division, 119th Infantry, Anti-tank Battalion. He was a hero who was credited with saving lives and was even thanked during a television interview with some veterans on the fiftieth anniversary of the Normandy Invasion. He had carried a badly wounded soldier from a French farmhouse that was taking heavy mortar fire. The man formally thanked Emmertt Sharp on a CNN program for saving his life. Typically modest, he always insisted he was not a hero, but was just doing what had to be done like everyone else.

After the war, Emmertt returned to the family farm in Wisconsin, and began farming on the land next to his father’s place so he could be near his Dad and his two brothers, Will and Ross. He moved to Montana in 1966 and worked for the U.S. Forest Service in Plains until retiring in January 1983. After he and Lorraine both retired in 1987, they moved back to Polson and spent their winters in Arizona watching his beloved “Cubbies” play spring training.

Emmertt met the love of his life, Lorraine Mallo, in 1948, and they were married within weeks. They remained married for 59 years and were truly soul mates. Lorraine stayed by his side every moment, especially during the last years of his life when he was ill.

He is survived by his wife, Lorraine, at their home on Rocky Point Road in Polson; by two of his siblings, George Sharp (Roberta) of Helena, MT., and Dorothy Campbell of Marion, Iowa; his four children, Linda Ried (Richard) of Unalakleet, Alaska, Bruce Sharp (Gerry) of Powell, Wyo., Mindy Harwood (Tony) of Polson, MT. and Tracy Sharp (Laura) of Stuttgart, Germany. He had 8 grandchildren, Damon, Ryan, and Devin Sharp, Shannon Barraza (David), Jace, Kendall, and Kasey Harwood, and Brandon Ried. Emmertt had 3 great grandchildren, Isaiah Sharp, and Jevin and Donovan Barraza.

He is preceded in death by his parents, 7 brothers and 4 sisters.

Emmertt’s pallbearers were his six grandsons. Honorary Pallbearers were Fred Caville, Ken Pippio, Jay Erchul, Jerry Benson, Ray Hughes, Ned Winebrenner and Ben Myrstol.

A final tribute to our father would be to simply state that he was a man who was loved.