Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record...

March 2007 Obituaries

Jane Mildred Fouty Whiting
BIG ARM  — Jane Mildred Fouty Whiting went to rest on March 29, 2007. We will miss her kindness and her beautiful smile.

Jane was born in Missoula Montana on January 16, 1947 to Walter and Gladys Jo (Lozar) Fouty. Jane was a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribe. She attended school in Polson and graduated from Polson High School in 1966. She also attended Salish Kootenai College and the University of Montana.

Jane yearned for truth and happiness her entire life. In 1975, while living in the Mission Mountains near St. Ignatius, she learned that the Bible promises a clean, peaceful earth filled with righteous people. She appreciated God's promise of a future with no death, depression or pain. Jane devoted her life to sharing that truth with her family, friends and neighbors. She was especially motivated by Revelation 11:18 that promises no physical or moral damage of the beautiful planet which she loved.

Jane met Jack Whiting and was attracted by his sense of humor and strong work ethic. They wed in a simple country wedding on September 6, 1975 in Dayton Montana. Together they moved to their farm in Big Arm where she resided until her death. Jack and Jane ran a goat milk dairy, called Whiteline Dairy, and later they operated Jack Whiting Siding and Polson Storage.

Jane adored her children. She and Jack raised their daughters, Ann and Asia, with love and imagination. Jane taught them to be proud of their heritage, to create beauty and to love every part of life. She had a special connection with her grandmother, Mary Morigeau Lozar, who even helped her sew her wedding dress. Mary, like Jane, was an entrepreneur, nurturer, gardener and a kind-hearted woman.

Jane was an artist. She could make everything from homemade butter to willow baskets. She enjoyed summer evenings on the houseboat on Flathead Lake. She also loved her animals. From childhood on she loved tall, pretty horses. She was an expert horsewoman and spent many weeks in the backcountry of Montana including the Chinese Wall last summer, on the back of her favorite horse, Chico Rio. She was a brave and talented woman in so many respects and it was honor for those who knew her. We have fond memories of Jane in her warm bright kitchen surrounded by her laughing family. Her example has inspired us to love Jehovah our God and to keep learning about what the Bible promises.

Jane Whiting put her heart and soul into everything she did. She will be missed and remembered.

Jane is preceded in death by her parents Walter and Gladys Jo (Lozar) Fouty and her brother David Fouty. She is survived by her husband Jack Whiting of Big Arm; daughters Ann Whiting of New York City and Asia (Loren) Gray of Kalispell and siblings Robert Fouty, Walter (Joan) Fouty, and Debbie Fouty all of Polson.

She is survived by nephews Mike Fouty, Steve Fouty, Roth Fouty and Steven Statham Jr and nieces Strohm Fouty and Kristen Statham, along with Uncle Stephen 'Bud' Lozar and his wife Maggie of Polson as well as numerous cousins, great aunts and uncles.

Funeral arrangements have been made by Grogan's Funeral Home of Polson Montana. Condolences to the family may be made at

Clarice "Jake" Tootell
POLSON, MT — Clarice "Jake" Tootell is delighted to join the choir praising the Lord in heaven.

She died on March 29, 2007 at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, MT.

Jake was born on Dec. 16, 1931 in Plaza, ND to Harry and Ruby Jacobson. She moved to Bozeman, MT as a youth where she met the love of her life, Donald Tootell, while in the eighth grade. They married on August 31, 1948 in Spokane, WA. Their family was expanded by the births of their children, Linda and Chris.

Jake supported Don while he attended and subsequently graduated from Montana State University. She and Don lived in various locations during his career, including Durango, Colo. She entered Ft. Lewis College there as a non-traditional student, and was joined by her son Chris for two of those years. She fulfilled her dream, relished her education, received her teaching degree, and graduated as valedictorian from Ft. Lewis College in 1971. She shared her enthusiasm and gifts while teaching in Arvada, Colorado.

In 1987, Jake and Don retired to their Flathead Lake vacation property, which they had owned since 1972. She frequently expressed awe for God's creation as witnessed from this vantage point.

Jake was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Polson, Mission Valley Chorale, Masumola Club and Polson Country Club. She and Don also volunteered as crisis foster parents.

Jake took piano lessons later in life and played beautifully. Her exuberance for life was evidenced by her appreciation for music...she was known to frequently breakout singing, at times to the dismay of her family.

Jake loved to golf, read, play bridge and gather with others around the dining room table. She faithfully volunteered at Evergreen Health and Rehab Center, led the residents in singing oldies with gusto and received a volunteer of the year award for this ministry.

She was an extremely hospitable person and never knew a stranger, only friends she had not yet met. She was a woman of strong Christian faith and was grateful to the Lord Jesus Christ for his provision of Grace. Jake always gave of herself completely and loved her family and friends unconditionally. She provided her loved ones with tireless support, even cheerleading.

Jake had an indomitable spirit as was illustrated by her trip to Norway nine months after Don's death in 1994. She followed through on the trip to Norway, which they had planned together before his passing.

Jake and Chris Christensen developed a close friendship in the years following Don's death. Chris had been their respected mutual friend. They enjoyed a companionship that sustained them both until his death in Nov. 2004.

She was preceded in death by her husband Donald, her parents, her dear friend Chris, and numerous other family members.

Jake is survived by her two children Linda Tootell Thomas and her husband Thad of Boise, Idaho and Chris Tootell and his wife Jenny of Missoula. She is also survived by her grandchildren Erin Adams-Griffin and her husband Morie; Jake Adams; Joe Adams; Ryan Tootell; Kjelsi Tootell; Lindsay Tootell; Austin Tootell; great granddaughter Micah Adams-Griffin; brother and sister-in-law George and Lenora Jacobson and brother-in-law Bob Tootell as well as numerous other friends and relatives. Jake was an animal lover and adored her canine companion "Sunny" and feline friend Isabella "Izzie."

Later this summer she will be laid to rest next to her husband Don at the family plot in Bozeman.

Memorials may be made to the National Alzheimer's Association or a charitable organization of your choice.

The family would like to give a special thanks to those lovely friends and caregivers who were with mom at the lake before her move to Missoula, including Chris and Viktra Bumgarner, Steve and Christina Pittenger and Laurali Sego. We're also thankful to the Missoula Springs Memory Care and Dr. David Gorman for the kind, competent, and respectful care they provided.

Condolences may be sent to the family at

Allen Hibbard

A bright mind and a bright head.
Many works this man had read.
He wanted to teach, to play, and to heal.
His laughter was a cackle and it was REAL.

With eyes electric and smile sly,
Must have been exciting to watch these times go by.
He cared for many and he hated few.
And I'll place a bet he was pleased to know you.

In my lifetime he counseled with what he never received.
As an elder and a poet he made me believe.
"Life is a process." "this too shall pass."
"Because after all, today is just a day."

And I always could do it
'cause I knew that he did.
And if you don't, whatever,
"Pat, just listen to the stupid s*** I did!"

How'd he do it?
He found a way.
A church to a house?

Inventions, solutions,
Tools and rods.
The sweatlodge, the college,
A Montana Hot Rod.

I'll miss him forever.
Forget him I won't.
Stories abound.
Who could think that they don't?

Now I don't know how he affected you,
And I really do care.
For a nephew, brother and niece,
We'd like to be made aware.

So let us know if you want, we'd love to hear.
Uncle Allen was a rock star, a teacher, a peer.
But whatever you choose to do and however you remember him best,
Please, friends, keep sharing his spirit with the rest.

-Pat Hibbard

John "Allen" Hibbard
POLSON — Allen Hibbard was born to Blaine Z. and Ruth T. Hibbard October 4, 1947. After being raised and schooled in Kansas City he finished high school at The Orme School - a ranch school in Arizona. It was during this time and during summer camp at the House Triple 'H' Ranch in New Mexico that Allen embraced western practices such as horsemanship and outdoor life.

He went on to college at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and went on to complete a Master's Degree in the same discipline.

Following these undertakings he was hired onto the resident professional company of the Dallas Theatre Center. He excelled in designing lighting and special effects for numerous productions; playing major roles in some of these in addition to his behind-the-scenes duties. Allen actually wrote two plays for production there: "Angels Crossing"(1979) and "Dutchman's Breeze"(1980). A highlight of his theatre center experience was designing the lighting for Princess Grace of Monaco. He made her look that good.

Allen was introduced to Montana through a fishing pack-trip with his dad into the Bob Marshall Wilderness. With his background in ranch life and affable personality, Allen fell right into step and was offered a job with the Burns family as a wrangler and fishing guide in their outfitting business. He spent his summers there when not in Texas.

In time, he made the move, settling in Dixon and renovating an old church into a home. The years rolled on and his path led to the doors of SKC.

Allen was a staunch supporter of public television and appeared on the annual fund drives for KSKC Public TV in Pablo as "Monty Moose" for over a decade. His humorous banter with Bob Fouty, "Gloria" and "Oscar" will be greatly missed.

Allen donated his lighting expertise for the "Salish and Pend d' Oreille Meet Lewis and Clark Pageant" which was staged at the Arlee Pow Wow grounds in 2002. He also donated many hours to various functions at the KSKC television studios. He was a very spiritual man who loved the Creator and enjoyed sharing fellowship with others in his adopted culture. Allan loved his pets and enjoyed kids and students.

Allen was an inventor and entrepreneur. His "fly catcher" was a big hit with fly fishermen and attracted the interest of several fishing gear manufacturers. He designed and built a custom jig and lathe to assist in the production of his custom fly rods. Allen was a perfectionist who loved a challenge and spent countless hours contemplating his tools and designs. The electric boat he designed and built was of a distinctive and exceptional design. He loved plying the waters of Flathead Lake quietly and effortlessly, surprising other boaters and people on the shore.

After 17 years, he decided to retire to concentrate on his passions, among which were boating, hiking, skiing, poker and, of course fly-fishing. The last years saw many laughs, many trips, and ample time for healthy reflection. He went as we all would like to go: at the top of his game, not fading a bit.

Pallbearers were Roy Big Crane, Virgil Brave Rock, Frank Tyro, Thompson Smith, Patrick Chief Stick, Jr., Steve Wheat, Keith Rennie and Don Dubey. Honorary Pallbearers were Joe McDonald, Bob Mires, Dean Spotted Eagle, Corky Clairmont, Bill Bennington and John Barry.

Wilma Damon Brooks McCollum
ST. IGNATIUS — Wilma Damon, Brooks, McCollum, Our beloved "Toots" died Monday, March 19, 2007 at her home near St. Ignatius at the age of 98.

She was born Dec. 17, 1908 in Baker, MT to William Harrison Damon and Margaret Maud Hasty Damon. She was the 5th of nine children. In 1926, the family moved to Missoula where "Toots" graduated from Hellgate High School in June of 1927. Her friend Helen Staves called her about an opening at the bank in St. Ignatius. The day after graduation she rode a bus to St. Ignatius and interviewed with bank President A.P. Morse and started work the next day.

She met "Charlie" Brooks and married Dec. 1928. They ranched in the St. Ignatius area raising large herds of sheep and cattle side by side. They managed a large herd of painted horses and showed them in parades and rodeos. They were active in the Mission Valley Saddle Club. "Toots" always participated and served as an officer in civic clubs. "Toots' worked at Beckwith Store in the daytime and ranched off hours. Upon Charlie's death in 1969 "Toots' began working at the Holy Family Hospital in the business office for approximately 10 years.

"Toots" married Ralph McCollum in June of 1981 and began a new life of travel, dancing and entertaining. Family reunions and social events were often held at their home on St. Mary's Lake Road. Their home was a revolving door to all who came to visit and enjoy good hospitality and beautifully decorated gardens with fresh flowers everywhere. She was an excellent cook and enjoyed sharing her canned jams and jellies with all who visited.

Ralph was a member of the Masons and Toots became a member of Mystic Chapter #53 Order of the Eastern Star as well as a member of Foothills Club, Women's Club and St. Ignatius Senior Center. Card parties were always a part of "Toots" life. Ralph passed away April 1992.

"Toots" had an amazing zest for living, being energetic, adventurous and vibrant.

She continued to enjoy visits and travel with her sisters, who were very precious to her, and other family members. She enjoyed all holidays and she made them very special for all of us.

Just 2 months ago "Toots" and Linda, her loving companion and caregiver of 17 years enjoyed a play at the Missoula Children's Theatre. Although "Toots' had no children of her own, she accumulated over 170 family members whom she dearly loved and was loved by in return.

"Toots' being the last of her generation was preceded in death by her parents and 8 siblings.

She was also preceded in death by her son Bruce McCollum but is survived by his family; 2 grandchildren Will (Paula) McCollum and Mary (Jon) Krause; the children of her sisters Janet (Jim) Edwards of Stevensville, MT, Jim Pearce of Luxemburg, Europe, Sharon (Norman) Parmelee of Kalispell, MT, Loretta Flesch of Seattle, WA, Lynn (Don) Gnose of Louisville, KY, Paula Davis of Stanton, CA, Richard "Dick" (Thelma) Jungers of Ronan, MT and Victor "Tony" Jungers of Billings, MT; cousin Mike (Ester) Murphy of Baker, MT; nieces of her Brooks family JoAnn Murray of Beaverton, OR, Connie (Ed) Lord of Philipsburg, MT, Avice (Ivan) Hoff of Dagmar, MT and Phyllis Lewis of Worland, WY; sister in law Joy Brooks of Spokane, WA; daughter through her McCollum family Bonnie (Clint) Burnett of Arlee, MT; 7 grandchildren Monica Burnett, Renee (John) Howett, Scott (Colleen) Burnett, Clay Burnett and Darren (Raelyn) Burnett. Toots is also survived by numerous great nieces, nephews and great grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers contributions can be made to St. Ignatius Senior Center or the Foothills Club.

Florence Wilma (Campbell) Turnbull
POLSON — Florence Wilma (Campbell) Turnbull age 96 passed away at her home on Flathead Lake on Thursday, March 22, 2 007. She was a 19-year cancer survivor before succumbing to the recurrence of her cancer. She was born November 8, 1910 in a homesteaders log cabin on the Powder River of Eastern Montana and was the oldest child of James Bular and Twyla Mae (Bickle) Campbell. She started her education in a one-room schoolhouse on the river before moving to Miles City, and Stevensville, and graduating from Missoula County High School in 1929. She received a one-year teaching certificate from Montana State Normal College at Dillon.

She married George Edward Turnbull December 12, 1933 in Missoula. They farmed in the Drummond Jens area before moving to Charlo November 8, 1938. They farmed there for 23 years then moved to Missoula where her husband worked for the Forest Service. He retired in 1975 and they moved to Flathead Lake where she has resided since. She and George spent the winters in Yuma, AZ until his and then she spent winters with her daughter in California.

Florence loved crocheting, and flower gardening especially her roses. She held various offices in the Charlo Women's Club, PTA and Lake County Federation of Women's Club; she taught Sunday School classes at the Methodist Church, was a leader of a camp fire group and a member of the 21 Club, and also chaperoned many school activates.

Florence was preceded in death by her husband Ed Turnbull, sister Lynn (Hap) Willsey, brother Gordon Campbell and son-in-law Don Walsh, her parents, 3 brother-in-laws, and 1 sister-in-law. She is survived by her daughters Nancy (Stuart) Fryberger of Charlo, Betty (Fran) Mocabee of Missoula and Alice Walsh of Torrance, CA., a sister Norma Duff of Kenmore, WA, 9 grandchildren, 14 great grandchildren and 3 great great grandchildren, along with numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

Memorials may be made in Florence names to the American Cancer Society, Mission Valley Methodist Church, or the Charlo Senior Center.

A memorial service will be held on Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 2:00 pm at the United Methodist Church in Polson, with Rev. Jim Dickinson officiating. Cremation has taken place. Arrangements are under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home and Crematory. Condolences may be sent to the family at

Anna "Marie" Detert
ST.IGNATIUS — Anna "Marie" Detert, age 79 of St. Ignatius, passed away at St. Patrick's Hospital in Missoula on Friday March 23, 2007 from natural causes.

"Marie" was born on December 9, 1927 at St. Ignatius to Ben and Anna (Saggau) Detert. After graduating from Mission High School in 1946, Marie received her nurses training in California. She gained her nursing experience at both St. Patrick's Hospital and Northern Pacific Hospitals in Missoula. By 1956, she had relocated to Denver, Colorado, where she was employed as a dental hygienist. After the death of her mother in St. Ignatius in 1970, she returned home in 1974, where she successfully owned and operated a Trout Farm with her brothers Herman and Alvin Detert. Marie became well known at the Missoula Farmer's Market as the "Trout Lady", where she sold fish and produce from the Detert Family Farm.

Marie was a devoted Sister and Aunt, and was actively involved in the care of her family members. She loved people, and loved to laugh. She enjoyed many hobbies including fishing, mushroom hunting, wildlife photography and huckleberry picking. She also loved to crochet and share the results of her talents with her family and friends. Marie also liked to spend time with her friends attending the bingo games in the valley.

Marie was preceded in death by her parents; siblings Harvey, Alvin and Herman Detert, Verna Lensman, a nephew Jesse Lensman, and niece Betsy Harris.

She is survived by a sister-in-law Hazel Detert, and nephew Jim Detert, both of St. Ignatius; a niece Keela (David) Forthun of Minot, North Dakota; a nephew John Detert of Yelm, Washington; and among many great nieces and nephews are Kevin Lensman of Kalispell, Montana and Jeff Lensman of Ogden, Utah.

Memorials may be made in memory of "Marie" to the choice of the donor. Grogan Funeral Home & Crematory of Polson is in charge of arrangements. Condolences may be sent to the family at

William F. Orchard
POLSON — William F. Orchard age 78 of Polson passed away on Thursday March 22, 2007 at Missoula Community Medical Center in Missoula from natural causes. He was born August 12, 1928 at Bronxville, New York. After high school he attended college for 2 years in California.

William married Suzanne House in San Gabriel, California in 1949. He worked selling supplies and premiums to circulation departments of newspapers in California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. He liked to travel, play gold and enjoyed reading.

He his survived by his wife Suzanne of Polson, daughter Kristine Orchard Parker, and sons Thomas F. Orchard and Richard W. Orchard, and 6 grandchildren.

Cremation has taken place and no services are planned at this time. Arrangements and cremation under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home and Crematory, Polson.

Rose Ellen Hall
SPOKANE, WA — Rose Ellen Hall died March 24, 2007 of lung cancer, in Spokane.

Rose was born November 19, 1939, in St. Ignatius,Mt. raised in Grand Coulee.

Survivors are sons, Tom Pillow of Lake Stevens, Jack Pillow of Puyallup, Washington. Daughter Tracy; and brother Leonard Williams of Wenatchee, Washington.

Preceding her in death were one son, Mike Pillow; mother Rosealie Ashley Williams; father, Jacque Williams; and brothers, Dick Williams and Fred Williams.

At her request, there will be no services.

Aethan (Epah) Olson-McArdle
Polson — On Thursday, March 15, 2007 Aethan (Epah) Olson-McArdle went to meet the Creator to shed his bonds of Earth and become a special little angel in God's heavenly home. Epah was born May 16, 2001 in Baltimore, MD. Epah so young, yet he touched so many lives with his pleasant smile, his tussled hair and contagious personality way beyond his age. He would greet you with a handshake and strongly say "Hello I'm Aethan, what's your name?" Aethan will be missed by all those he touched and will remain etched in their hearts for eternity.

Survivors include his parents Amber Olson-McArdle and Darren McArdle; brother Dalton McArdle; sister Debra Olson-McArdle; grandparents Debra and Nick Phillips-Innerbichler, Debra & John Grinder and Ernie and Marilyn Olson; great grandparents Norman and Betty Olson, Jim & Rose Westerman; grandma/Auntie Marge Blixt; uncles Jim Westerman, Richard Olson, Harley Olson and James Olson; cousins Andrew, Alan and Adam Westerman; great aunt Elizabeth Phillips-Gravelle; great uncles Ernie Matt and Darrel Papin and best friend Brandy and a large extended family.

Aethan was laid to rest in the Dayton Cemetery. Funeral services were provided by Foster & Durgeloh Funeral Home in St. Ignatius.

Janet Marie Maddy
POLSON — On March 4, 2007, Janet "Nana" went to Heaven to live in the loving arms of Jesus. Janet ended her courageous battle with cancer surrounded by her family. She was loved by many and will be missed more than words can say. She has touched the hearts of more people than she will ever know.

Janet "Nana" was born with twin sister Joan in 1934 in Seattle, WA to Nello and Margaret Michelotti. She grew up in a loving family with 2 brothers: Fred Michelotti and Nello Michelotti, and sisters Joan Maxwell, Rita Michelotti, Thelma Garcia, and Linda Menashe. Janet followed high school by attending Central Washington University for art school. Janet went on to marry Robert Earl Maddy on September 2, 1961. Together, Robert and Janet had five children. They raised their family in West Seattle and spent their summers on Flathead Lake in Polson.

Janet "Nana" had a wonderful life and lived life to its fullest. She was unbelievably gifted at cooking. There wasn't a meal that she couldn't prepare. Janet was also a very talented artist. Janet spent many years as a nurse and raising her family. She opened her home and cabin to many kids. She loved to take vanloads of kids camping, hiking, and to the ocean. Janet devoted her life to spreading God's Word. For 29 consecutive years she taught Sunday school and Vacation Bible School. She also spent 12 years as an Evangelist, going house-to-house, spreading the gospel. Janet also had at special place in her heart for the children in poverty down in Mexico. She spent time working in the orphanages and helping with the poorest of poor.

For the past 15 years Janet has devoted her time to her 15 grandkids: Heather Howell (15), Nicholas Howell (12), Sarah Howell (10), Ashlee Howell (5), Jordan Maddy (7), Kolbi Maddy (5), Taylor Maddy (4), Julia Maddy (10), Rachel Maddy (9), Alexis Maddy (7), Lucca Maddy (6), Ellie Maddy (5), Bryanna Maddy (5), Mia Maddy (3), and Julianne Maddy (18 months). There was never a day that went by that she didn't have at least one of her grandchildren with her - they were the joy of her life. She had clay prints in their hands when they were still in their high chairs.

Even though the last 3 years she struggled with cancer, she always fought it with hope and never complained. She looked forward to chemotherapy days to spend time with her special chemo friends. She always talked to them about heaven and their mansions that waited them.

To Janet, well done my good and faithful servant.

Janet was preceded in death by her father, Nello Michelotti, her mother Margaret Michelotti, brother, Frederick Michelotti, and son Paul Maddy. Janet is survived by her husband, Robert Maddy, sons Mario (Jennifer) Maddy, Michael (Marlo) Maddy, Marcus (Tracey) Maddy and daughter Heidi (Jeff) Howell, her sisters, a brother, cousins, numerous nieces and nephews and her beloved grandchildren along with many friends.

Condolences may be sent to the family at

Kenneth "Kenny" C. Couture
PHOENIX, AZ — Kenneth "Kenny" C. Couture, 61, passed away March 12, 2007 in Phoenix, AZ. He was a long time resident of Spokane before moving to Phoenix in 1997.

He is survived by his mother, Claribel Brown, 3 daughters, Tammy Hamblen, Michelle Aparicio, Crystal Couture, 1 son, Jesse Couture, 3 granddaughters, Linaya, Vanessa, and Jasmine, 2 grandsons, Dylan and Scott, 3 sisters, Clarinda Barritt, Sandy Shocker, Sherry Malatare, 5 brothers, Dave, Kim, and Jeff Brown, Ron and Carl Couture, numerous aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and cousins.

Graveside services will be held at 2:00 p.m. on March 23, at the Woodland Cemetery, 5410 W. Monroe RD, Deer Park, WA.

Funeral services provided by the Chapel of the Chimes Mortuary.

Audrey R. (Nelson) Munn 
POLSON — Audrey R. (Nelson) Munn age 78 of Polson passed away on Monday, March 5, 2007 at her home from natural causes. She was born on November 18, 1928 at Crow Agency, Montana, to Frank and Naomi Kephart Nelson.

After graduating from high school she went on to earn her degree nursing. She met and married Donald "Butch" Munn on June 9, 1947 at the Crow Agency. After their marriage they moved to Dixon in 1948, Ronan in 1949 and to Polson in 1960, after traveling with her husband on his job with the BIA, they can back Polson in 1982 and resided here since.

She was preceded in death by her husband Donald. Audrey is surivived by her children Don (Janet) Munn of Polson, Robert (Pat) Munn of Couer d'Alene, Idaho, Richard (Judy) Munn of Aurora, Colorado, 5 grandchildren Sarah, Rachel, Jess, Della and Kasie Munn.

Arrangements and cremation under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home and Crematory, Polson.

Duane Pierre
PABLO — Duane was born in St. Ignatius to Phillip Pierre Sr. and Ellen Conko-Hendrickx on November 30, 1959.

He passed away as a result of a semi-pedestrian accident on Hwy 93 near Allentown on March 1, 2007.

Duane was a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.

In his younger years, he worked at the forestry in Seeley Lake as a sawyer until he severely injured his hip, which ended his career.

In the years of 1985-86, he attended college at Salish Kootenai College where he took up art classes, beading and general studies. He was a well-accomplished beader, he could whip up barrettes, key chains, pens, buckles, you name it, and he would have them done in a matter of hours. He also did a lot of work with horsehair. Making barrettes, key chains, hatbands, bracelets, check book covers and bridles. He put his heart into all of his work.

Duane was well known on the reservation for his hitchhiking abilities. He would rather hitchhike to his destination than ask for a ride. This is how a lot of people near and far met him. He was one of a kind. All of his street buddies in Missoula and Spokane knew him as “Potato Chip”. He really loved his Lay’s Potato chips.

Duane enjoyed playing cards ad board games with family and friends, but each game he would claim that the victory belonged to him, win or lose. He loved spending time with all his nieces and nephews, teaching practically all of them to tie their shoes and make paper airplanes that could actually fly far.

Duane enjoyed life to the fullest the best way that he knew how. He was always smiling and laughing around with everyone. It seems as though that’s why he was given to us this time on earth, to make us smile no matter what the situation was. He has that certain ability to do that.

Duane was preceded in death by his father, Phillip Pierre Sr; his Ya-ya Louise Adams Conko; uncles Anthony Paul, Henry Camel, and Charles Mitchell; aunts Jeanette Conko, Margaret Conko-Friedlander, Dee Pierre; sisters Theresa Pierre, Marylou “Tomie” Finley, and Gail Patricia Hendrickx.

He is survived by his mother Ellen Conko-Hendrickx; step-children Duane Pierre Jr., Glenda Pierre, Laura Pierre, and Sheila Carpentier; sister Dorthea Hendrickx (Chad); brothers, Phillips Pierre Sr. (Kathey), Gale Hendrickx, John Hendrickx, and Joseph Parizeau (Ann); aunts Mille Conko-Camel, Elizabeth Pierre and Anne Mitchell; uncles John Conko, Eneas Conko, Harold Paul, Pat Pierre and a large extended family of nieces, nephews and cousins.

Services were held on Monday, March 5th I St. Ignatius, Montana. Pallbearers were: Tony Hammer, Buck Hammer, Chad Russell, Lance Friedlander, Edwin Onesalt and Vincent Burrafato. Honorary Pallbearers were: Jim Antoine, Jim Whitworth, Tony Cutfinger, Jack Howlett, James Gardipe, Bert Carpentier, Kim Torosian and all of his nieces, nephews and cousins.

Duane will be greatly missed by all of whom he made laugh and smile and also by all that knew him.

Kyle David McCullugh
POLSON — Kyle David McCullugh, age 16 of Kalispell, Montana passed away from injuries suffered in a vehicle pedestration accident near Plains on Saturday morning. He was born June 1, 1990 in Ronan, Montana to Leo David and Lisa M. (Stewart) McCullugh.

He attended schools in Ronan, Pablo, Vaughn, Kalispell and Plains. He most recently worked with Preston Mitchell as a mechanic and Sonny Miller as a carpet layer. Kyle had signed up for the U.S. Army as was planning on going to active duty at the age of 17. He loved sports, Video games, fishing and four wheeling, outdoors, dancing, singing, and joking. He tried hard to be a comedian everyone that knew him loved him. He had a big heart and after 5 minutes from meeting him he left an imprint on your heart.

His great grandmothers Mildred Lubitz and Bernice Shinnick preceded him in death. Kyle is survived by his parents Leo and his wife Kimberly Calderaro of Kalispell and Lisa Bowden of Paradise MT; sister Amanda McCullugh of Vaughn, step-brothers Steven Mace of Kalispell and Kevin Mace of Texas; a niece Brooklyn Peterson of Vaughan; grandparents Joanne Simmes of Polson; Felix McCullugh of Ronan and Jeannette and Gayle King of Paradise; great grandfather Jerry Shinnick of Paradise and numerous other relatives.

Memorial may be made to the Big Brothers and Sisters or Peer Court. Arrangements and cremation under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home and Crematory, Polson.

Ralph H. “Diggin” Wiggin
RONAN — Ralph H. “Diggin” Wiggin, age 87 of Polson, passed away from natural causes on Tuesday March 6, 2007 at St. Luke Extended Care Facility in Ronan, MT.

He was born in Harlem, MT on December 14, 1919 to Andrew and Esther Wiggin, the oldest of six children. After Ralph was born, his family moved to his parent’s homestead near Zurich, MT. They later moved to Charlo, MT and then moved to Pablo, MT, where his father, Andy Wiggin, worked for the Reclamation Project running dragline. There in Pablo is where his parents built a home and all his siblings were born. They had a milk cow, chickens and a large garden. Ralph attended school through the 8th grade in Pablo, and then he went on to Ronan High School graduating with the Class of 1937.

Ralph later met the love of his life, Korrine Wigen, at a county dance. Ralph and Korrine were married September 1, 1941. They soon settled in Polson and Ralph was the auto body repairman for the Dodge and Plymouth garage then later for Tower and Robinson GMC Pontiac. He became known as the best in the business. Right before the war, Ralph worked as a drag saw operator for Rauthers Tie Mill near the Flathead Mines.

In 1944, he joined the Army, and was sent to Europe as an Infantryman. Ralph served in the 317th Infantry Regiment 80th Division Company B under General George Patton. He saw action in the Battle of the Bulge, Rhine River and Argon Forest across France, Germany and Austria. During his service in the Army, Ralph was awarded the Bronze Star. At wars end, he was stationed in Munich, with the RTO, running the Rail System. Ralph was discharged in 1946 and returned to home in Polson.

He went into business for himself, in 1956, and was known as DIGGIN WIGGIN. Later, he and Korrine built a new home in the Mountain View area and they raised cattle, put up hay and all that goes along with a small farm.

He served with the Red Cross during the Gulf War. Ralph was American Legion Commander 3 times and District Commander for one year. He was a member of Hardwick Post #112 for over 50 years. Ralph also enjoyed his membership with the IOOF.

He loved to fish and hunt, watch his cows, his dog “Blue”, and playing cards with his friends. He also loved the family gatherings with the children and grandchildren all attending.

His wife Korrine, his parents, his sisters Blanche, June, Hazel, and Alice, and a brother John preceded Ralph in death.

Surviving Ralph include his sons Tom of Kalispell, Ernie (Sherree) of Polson, daughter Janice (Dave) Tromp of Missoula, 8 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.

The family is suggesting memorials in Ralph’s name to either the American Legion or to the Polson Veteran Honor Guard. The Ralph Wiggin family would like to graciously thank the staff at St. Luke Extended Care Facility for their loving care for Ralph.

Arrangements are under the direction of Grogan Funeral Home. Condolences may be sent to the family at

Margit Smith
MISSOULA — Margit Smith, formerly of Polson, passed peacefully on Monday, March 5 at Riverside Health Care Center in Missoula with her family at her side.

Margit Fehervari was born September 17, 1939 in Maria Halom, Hungary to Rudolf and Katharina Fehervari, the youngest of three children. Her family included her brothers, Henrich and Wilhelm.

As a child she moved from Hungary to Bahnbrueken, Germany and, from there, to Ubstadt, Germany where she lived until traveling to Belgium to work as a nanny. She returned to Germany and met and married Siegfried Endlichhofer. They immigrated to Chicago in 1961 and she gave birth to her daughter, Isabel that year. In Chicago she worked for Siemens Corp. and as an executive secretary for Harris Bank. Now a single parent, she purchased her first home.

In 1970, on a vacation to Montana, she met Robert C. Smith of Polson whom she married, in Chicago, on September 18 of that year. She and Isabel moved to Montana shortly thereafter. In February 1973 she gave birth to her son, Gregory, followed by the birth of her son, Neal in November 1974.

While living in Montana, Margit assisted Robert in the operations of his business, Smith Electric. She was an excellent gardener raising many flowers, vegetables and fruit trees and kept bees. She had a life-long interest in nutrition. Margit was an avid tennis player and played on the USTA circuit, winning more than one title. She coached the Girl’s Tennis Team at Polson High School and youth soccer. She could often be seen walking for pleasure, with friends or alone, in Polson and surrounding areas. She had a life-long commitment to Christianity and devoted herself to study and worship through several churches and Christian organizations in both the Polson and Missoula areas.

In 2003 she was diagnosed with progressive supra-nuclear palsy and went to Missoula to be near Neal and his wife, Jill Edgell-Smith.

During her life she was a mother, grandmother, wife, sister and friend.

The family wishes to extend their profound gratitude and thanks to Partners Hospice of Missoula and the staff of Riverside Health Care Center, as well as to her many friends.

Margit is survived by her daughter Isabel (Jason) Liss (nee Endlichhofer), of Chicago, and her sons, Gregory Smith of Kalispell, and Neal (Jill) Smith of Missoula, her grandchildren Samuel Liss and Averi Smith and her brother, Wilhelm (Sally) of Mansfield, MA.

The family requests that memorials be made to Partners Hospice of Missoula.

Beatrice (Betty) Arlene Silvas
RONAN — Beatrice (Betty) Arlene Silvas, 80, of Ronan, Montana passed away March 10, 2007, of natural causes at St Luke’s Extended Care Center with her family at her side.

Betty was born on May 5, 1926, in Apgar Village, Glacier Park, Montana to William and Pauline Douglas Anderson. She was raised in Browning, Montana and married Earl Silvas also of Browning in 1947. They were married for 59 years and had five children. They lived in Salinas, California for over thirty years and returned to Montana in 1991.

Betty was a retired teachers’ aid with a lifelong passion for education. She continued her enthusiasm for education by tutoring in adult literacy programs. Betty loved music and dancing. She was an avid gardener.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Earl.

She is survived by her five children: Patricia LaPlant (Bradley) of Missoula, Montana; Jeanne Whiteing (David) of Boulder, Colorado; Wayne Silvas (Lori) of Salinas, California; Sharon Silvas of East Glacier, Montana and Barbara Grealish (Chris) of Boulder, Colorado. She is also survived by fourteen grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

Emory Rogers "Doogie" Swaney
MISSOULA — Emory Rogers "Doogie" Swaney died peacefully in his sleep on March 28, 2007. He was born March 12, 1921, in Pendleton, Oregon, to Mary Catherine McDonald and James Daniel Swaney. He was an enrolled member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.

Doogie graduated from Dixon High School in 1940. He was 20-years old when he enlisted in the Marine Corps in November 1941; he served in B Company, 1st Battalion, 8th Regiment, 2nd Marine Division. In November 1942, he was part of one of the first wave landings on Guadalcanal, in the Solomon Islands chain. He was wounded in this battle, and was initially sent to Suva in the Fiji Islands and later to New Caledonia, New Zealand, for recuperation. In mid 1943 he was given the choice to remain in New Zealand or to return to his outfit which was preparing for a major offensive landing on Tarawa Island in the Gilbert Islands. He chose to return to his outfit. When making that landing in one of the first waves, he was badly wounded. He very likely would not have survived had he not been rescued by Oliver Strombo (a classmate from Dixon and the cousin of his future wife). For his service at Guadalcanal and Tarawa, he received a Presidential Unit Citation and two Purple Hearts. These experiences forever changed him and he was a staunch and loyal friend of those with whom he served.

After the war, he returned to the Flathead Reservation and worked for the Flathead Irrigation Project and the Hot Springs Bathhouse, and was the Tribal Council Representative from Dixon in the late 1950s. He attended business school and MSU- Northern, and was trained as a bookkeeper. He worked as a firefighter and for the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.

He married Elizabeth "Betty" Reinertson in 1946; they later divorced. Together they had four children: Ellen Swaney of Helena, Shawn Swaney of Hot Springs, Dr. Gyda Swaney of Missoula, and Hjordis Bearchum of Mountlake Terrace, Washington. He is also survived by his grandchildren: Kristin Guenther (and Dr. Michael Rowe) of Austin, Texas; Jodi Guenther of Missoula; Brooke Pepion Swaney of Brooklyn, New York; Jacob Bearchum of Los Angeles, California; and Sydney Bearchum of Mountlake Terrace, Washington, and one great-grandchild, Christopher Ryan Rowe. He was preceded in death by his brothers Joseph "Jay" and William Swaney, and a sister Doris who died in infancy. He is survived by his sisters Eileen Decker and Opal Cajune and his brother Thomas Bearhead Swaney, all of St. Ignatius, and numerous nieces and nephews.

Doogie enjoyed his life-long friendships with his brothers and cousins, his nieces and nephews (most of whom he nicknamed with his brother Bill), his grandchildren, and a good crossword puzzle. He was an avid fan of college ball (football or basketball), baseball, golf, boxing and any high school Indian team.

A wake was held and funeral services were at the St. Ignatius Catholic Church. Internment with military honors was at the Decker Family Cemetery on Mission Dam Road. A feast followed at the Longhouse.

Pallbearers were Daniel F. Decker, Doug Swaney, Bill Swaney, Thomas Branson, John McDonald, Armind Matt, Kevin Howlett, and Jack Howlett. Honorary pallbearers were Franklin Kendall, Sidney Whiting, Dr. Joseph McDonald, Wyman McDonald, Thomas "Satch" McDonald, and Gary Burland.

Larry George Bachman
PENDLETON, Ore — Former local carpenter Larry George Bachman, 90, of Pendleton, died March 2, 2007, at St. Anthony's Hospital.

Mr. Bachman was born October 24, 1916, in Charlo, Montana to George and Gertude Stansberry Bachman.

He worked as a firefighter in Kellogg, Idaho, before moving to Pendleton and becoming a carpenter.

Mr. Bachman married Gay Morgan on August 9, 1941; they later divorced.

He married Margaret L. Plucar Dondino on January 1, 1958.

Mr. Bachman enjoyed hunting, fishing, mushrooming and picking huckleberries.

He is survived by three children; brother Glen; three grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents, both wives, brother Jack, and sister Delta.

Memorial contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association, in care of Burns Mortuary of Pendleton. Burns Mortuary of Pendleton is in charge of arrangements.