Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

For the Record...

January 2007 Obituaries

Florence H. Mulhauser
YAKIMA, WA. — Florence H. Mulhauser, at the age of 92, passed away January 09, 2007 at Memorial Hospital in Yakima, WA.

She was born August 21, 1914 at the home ranch in St. Ignatius, MT, the fourth of six children born to Edmond and Louise Grenier Hamel. She attended the Ursaline School and graduated from St. Ignatius High School, She went to Missoula to attend business school, then went to work as a bookkeeper. She married William R. Clemens in 1933, and from that marriage two daughters were born, Audrey Jean and Barbara Joan.

In 1947 she married Raymond Mulhauser. They had one son, Gerald.

Mom was a homemaker and did the bookkeeping for the family business for many years. She enjoyed working in the garden and loved to play the piano and organ. Florence lived most of her adult life in Missoula valley. In 2004 she moved to Yakima WA.

She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband Ray; sisters, Helen Kennedy, Mildred Swartz; brothers, Philip and Robert Hamel.

She is survived by her children, Audrey Foreman of Spokane, WA, Barbara Lucey of Yakima, WA., son, Gerald (Amy) Mulhauser of Missoula, MT; one sister, Edith (Parks) Whitmer of Carmichael, CA.; eight grandchildren, Bill, Wayne(Brenda), Kathy, Ron (Joanna) all of Spokane, Gina (James), Michelle (Alan) of Yakima, Patrick of Chicago and Gregory (Cathryn) of Great Britain and fourteen great-grandchildren.

Contributions can be made to your favorite charity. Keith & Keith Funeral Home is entrusted with the arrangements.

Lily M. (Smith) Campbell
TACOMA — Lily M. (Smith) Campbell, born on April 1st, 1923 in Polson, Montana, left our loving arms January 11th 2007 in Tacoma, Washington.

Lily was known by many names; a mother, sister, grandma, and many friends that only knew her as “Mickey”.

Lily was preceded in death by her mother, Minnie (Keeler) Smith; father, Wright Smith; siblings Lavina (Mays) Smith, Katy Smith, Hershel Smith, and Willard Smith; Husband, Ted Campbell; children Gerry Campbell and Carol Campbell.

She is survived by brothers Tom Smith of Polson/Evaro, Lloyd Smith of Placerville. CA., and Monroe Smith of Portland, OR; a son, Mike Campbell of Spanaway, Washington and a daughter Bonita (Bonnie) Campbell of Ferndale, Washington and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

We all shared in her quick wit and strong will, which remained part of her endearing spirit until her final days. We are compelled to honor her wishes and celebrate her life.

Lily was a descendant of a great American Indian Chief, which shined through her personality. In her younger years she was an accomplished artist creating many beautiful depictions of Native American life and breathtaking scenes of nature.

Father Michael Durka performed last rites on January 20th in Spanaway, WA.

Rosalie (Allison) LaFromboise
BROWNING — Former Browning resident Rosalie (Allison) LaFromboise, 80, died of natural causes Tuesday in Tacoma, Wash.

Rosalie LaFromboise was born July 25, 1926, to Charles and Mary (Gerard) Allison in Browning. She was raised in the Browning area and attended schools there. She married Robert LaFromboise in May 1942 and they had 12 children: Mary Ellen, Robert Charles, Conrad, Roy, Lois, Lorna, Jeff, T.J., Don, Steve, Vickie, and Lori.

Rosalie was first and foremost a homemaker during the time being a homemaker meant something. Beginning in Oakland, Calif., before the war, she made a home for her new husband and their first child, Mary Ellen. When Robert went into the Air Force she continued to care for her young family until he returned.

By this time they also had a son, Robert Charles. After the war, Robert took advantage of the GI Bill and started college at Montana State University in Bozeman. Rosalie quickly set up housekeeping at the "strip houses." After college they moved to Conrad, where Robert taught school. By this time their family had grown to include Conrad, Roy, Lois, and Lorna. In the '50s, they were part of a farming community in Fisher Flat; that included the Pepions, Mombergs, Wipperts and Smiths, to name a few. This is where Rosalie learned her talents and skills of being a homemaker. Rosalie had none of the modern conveniences. She carried water, prepared three meals a day many of these meals from "scratch," while caring for her six children and supporting her husband's career. After a few years living in Fisher Flat they moved to Browning and their family grew to include Jeff, T.J. and Don.

Robert served on the Blackfeet Tribal Business Council at this time and then began the first of their moves to various reservations when he took up his career in the Indian Health Service. During their time in Poplar, their son Steve was born; he later became disabled after an illness. The whole family later moved to the Flathead Reservation, residing in Ronan, where Vickie and Lori joined the family. Robert and Rosalie found themselves moving their family back to Poplar and then to Billings, where Robert passed away in 1985. She moved back to Ronan after Robert's death and continued to care for her son Steve.

Rosalie created a home for a large family and extended her home to many of the family's friends. She created a home that supported her husband's career while encouraging her children to finish high school and go on to higher education. Robert set a standard for high expectations and Rosalie ensured, encouraged, and supported her children to reach these expectations. Rosalie valued education because she was not able to finish her high-school education. She made a point that all of her children would help provide and care for Steve so he could stay at home.

She developed lifelong friendships wherever she lived: Eileen Pepion, Jeannie Wippert, Aurice Show, Margie Kennedy, Lucille McKay, "Snookie" Schlenski, Merle Cobell, Katherine Eder, Lee Lozeau, Opal Cajune, Adele McClammy - and her best friend of all, Patsy Momberg.

Not only did Rosalie maintain a welcoming and comfortable home, she was a career woman herself. She worked many years as a nurse's aide in nursing homes and hospitals in all of the communities where she and her family lived. Rosalie worked hard but also made time to have fun. She loved to knit, crochet, and listen to country music and to travel. Rosalie was able to go to Nashville, Tenn., and see the Grand Ole Opry; Washington, D.C.; Reno, Nev.; Las Vegas; and Germany. The Seattle-Tacoma area was Rosalie's favorite place and she thought herself fortunate to be able to live there with her daughter Lori and her family. She resided there for the last 14 years, coming back often to visit her family in Montana. Our mother leaves us a rich heritage of independence, hard work, family loyalty, concern and caring for others and a wealth of memories gathered over the years with family and friends. She built the foundation of our lives and the lives of her grandchildren. She helped us become who we are today, and we thank her for being our mom. We are proud to be her children.

Our hearts are comforted that she will now be with her own parents; our dad; and Mary Ellen, Bobby, T.J., Steve and Tracy.

We love her and miss her.

With all of our love, Conrad, Mary Ellen and family; Roy, Lori and family; Lois and family; Lorna and family; Jeff, Jeri and family; Don, Elisa and family; Vickie and Robert; Lori, Dan, Erik and Ally.

Raymond Davis Abraham
COEUR D'ALENE, ID — Chief Raymond Davis Abraham, 50, passed away January 16, 2007 in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The Rosary was held Friday, January 19th, at the Kootenai Indian Mission with funeral services conducted on Saturday, at St. Ann's Catholic Church, in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Chief Raymond was laid to rest at the Kootenai tribal cemetery.

Chief Raymond was born February 10, 1956 in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. He is the grandson of Chief Eneas Abraham and Ann Mary Abraham and the son of Abraham Abraham and Louise Abraham.

Raymond grew up and lived in Bonners Ferry and was elected Chief of the Kootenai Tribe of Idaho at the age of 18. This began a new start for the survival of his people. Working hard, Raymond established the Tribe's successful Kootenai River Inn as an economic base for the survival of the Tribe, as well as their White Sturgeon Hatchery to help the recovery of this endangered species, which, is a vital part of the Kootenai's cultural history.

Raymond was fluent in the Kootenai language and was a teacher of his traditional culture to the younger generation, always encouraging others to learn and preserve the traditional ways of life.

He enjoyed being around all people and would always help out in any way he could, serving all the Ktnaxa people.

Raymond is survived by his mother, Louise Abraham; daughters Jackie, Cecile, Marian, and Juli Abraham; sisters Eileen Wheaton and Dixie Abraham; brother Ron Abraham and stepchildren Aaron and Shaun as well as numerous nieces, nephews and stepchildren.

He was preceded in death by his father, Abraham Abraham; son, Douglas Abraham; his brother, Taylor Abraham and uncles Tamia, Pascal and Louie Abraham.

Alexander Stephen Beauvais
VANCOUVER, Wash. — Alexander Stephen Beauvais, 87, died Wednesday, January 3, 2007 in Vancouver, WA of age-related natural causes. Alexander (Al to his friends, "Bubber" to some of his relatives) was born March 27, 1919 in Polson, MT. to Mary (Lucier) and Alexander Beauvais. He was a great grandson of Etienne Lucier, one of the original French-Canadian founders of Champoeg, the first town in Oregon. Al attended schools in Polson and Thompson Falls, MT, and served stateside in the U.S. Army during World War II. In 1945 he married the former Ruth Old of Yakima, who preceded him in death in 1993. In 1994 he married the former Mary Dodson of Bend, OR, who preceded him in death in June 2006.

After discharge from the Army Al, worked various jobs in Yakima and Tri-Cities, WA, and Portland OR. In 1950 Al started to work for the Spokane, Portland, and Seattle railroad in Wishram, WA, later to become the Burlington Northern RR. He worked as a brakeman and conductor in Wishram and Bend, OR until his retirement in 1980 in Bend. In 1960 the family moved from Wishram, WA to Bend, After retirement he took up golf. He continued to play until October 2006. He moved from Bend to Vancouver in June 2006, after the death of his wife, Mary.

Al is survived by a daughter, Maryal, of Portland, OR; a son, Scott, of Vancouver, WA; and a stepson, David Rhodes of Kennewick, WA. He also has several nieces and nephews in Washington and Montana.

He was preceded in death by brothers Alphe ("Bud"), of Ronan, MT and Albert of Ridgefield, WA.

He was an enrolled member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation in Montana. Known for his relaxed manner and sense of humor, he was never observed to break a golf club.

Funeral services were held in Vancouver, WA, with interment in Willamette National Cemetery in Portland, OR.

The family (Scott) can be contacted at

James Lincoln "Bo" Sorrell
RONAN — James Lincoln "Bo" Sorrell, 58, went to be with his family and stickgame partners on Thursday (1/11/07) evening.

Born in Yakima, WA on February 12, 1948 to Ernest Leonard Sorrell and Annie Catherine (Finley) Sorrell, he was raised in Washington and Montana. Bo went to school in St. Ignatius then to high school in Flandreau, South Dakota.

He then joined the US Navy and served on the USS Kittyhawk. Upon his discharge he worked as a lineman for the telephone company and then as an environmental sanitarian for the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes until a back injury caused him to slow down. Most recently he was going to school at Salish Kootenai College in Pablo.

He was preceded in death by his parents Ernie and Annie, a son Jimbo, brother and sisters Wesley, Jenny, Judy and Karen and longtime friend Lorna "Honey" Grant Sorrell.

Survivors include his wife Chris of 26 years; children Isadore (Kirsten), Jay, July, Mitchell (Brenda), Bruce (Susie), John, Danny, Jason (Nikola), Shawn R. (Sheila), O'shawna (Gary), Shaunda (Joe), Janella "Pooh Bear" (Willy), Mickkie (Anthony), Viola (Wesley) and Rochelle (Rocky); brothers Ernie "Rawhide" (Mary Lou), Joe, Gene (Anna) and Dan (Dorsey); Ida (Sonny) Curley, Alice Ryan, Eva (Reed) Anderson, Gigi (Curtis) Yazzie and Judy (Joe) Andrew; godmother Sophie Tellier; 28 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

A wake began on Friday at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius with Rosary being recited on Sunday in the Longhouse. Wake closing started on Monday with Funeral Services being held in the Longhouse. Interment followed in the Snyelmen Sntmtmne where military honors will be presented. 

Lawrence He’meen Tilden
LEWISTION, ID — Lawrence He’meen Tilden, age 91, passed away Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2007, at Life Care Center of Lewiston, Idaho. He had been a resident for the past four years with dementia and died as the result of natural causes.

Lawrence was born July 20, 1916, to Samuel Sum’Keen and Amy Raboin Tilden at the family house on the Presbyterian Church grounds at Spalding, Idaho.

At an early age he moved with the family to Arlee, where his father was assigned to the Flathead Indian Reservation as a federal agent. It was here he received his Indian name, He’meen, which means Wolf in Nez Perce. He attended school at Arlee to the ninth grade when his mother passed away. He was then raised by his father and two older surviving brothers.

He was pretty much a loner, riding his horse around Jocko Mountains with his wolf/shepherd dog, “Duke,” watching the animals. When he was old enough to work with the older boys and men, he worked various jobs in forestry and road work in the area. His most memorable times were wrangling and breaking horses for Teresa Adams, who lived across the Jocko River from Arlee. She was the nearest to a mother in his growing years. He also worked for Louis Combs, wrangling, training and jockeying racehorses for fairs and celebrations in the area. He would sleep with the horses to protect them from jealous competitors. When the railroads came they would compete in races farther away. He was such a good rider, he was encouraged by the elder men to ride saddle broncs in competition. He preferred to work with the horses. He enjoyed taking pack horses to the Seeley Lake hunting grounds, camping and hunting for several weeks with his father and his longtime friend, Wilber Vanughn. He would assist Teresa Adams by getting wood to tan hides and dry meat. He spent his other time fishing, hunting, trapping and caring for the horses.

In 1936 he met Margaret Madsen from the St. Ignatius, Montana, area. They began their 71 years of life together. They moved to Spalding, where their daughter Amy was born in the same house Lawrence was born in. He began farming the land on the ranch place, plowing the fields with his horses, Babe and Ladd. They returned to Montana, where he worked on Kerr Dam, where their son Jess was born. The family lived in St. Ignatius in 1944, where Lawrence worked for the U.S. Forest Service’s Jocko Placid Road Camp project as a jackhammer operator.

In 1945 Lawrence was inducted into the Navy, leaving Polson, and serving 18 months aboard the USS Langley, on which he embarked to Naples, Italy, twice to bring troops home as part of the Magic Carpet Program. He also served in the South Pacific. He was honorably discharged as second class fireman from Bremerton, Washington. He was awarded Asiatic Pacific Area Campaign Medal and WWII Victory Medal.

In 1946 he worked at the sawmills in Ravalli and St. Ignatius. He built a house with help the of his father and friends when affordable and using the barter system, which was the way for most folks to get things done in those days. In 1950 he moved his family and father back to the ranch place. He worked at PFI and Spalding sawmills while farming. He and the family raised cattle, hogs and horses while he was employed at the Riverside Mills in Orofino. He retired after 25 years of employment at the Riverside Mills when it was closed down. Joe and Dale Richardson were the best employers a man could have. He enjoyed going to work every day to work with “the boys at the mill.”

He looked forward to fishing at Celilo Falls, Washington, selling fish at the canneries and bringing home provisions for the season. Most vacation time was spent taking the family and horses to hunting camp in the Selway and Lochsa river areas. He was very particular about the season he hunted and the game he took. He was a good sportsman and teacher to his children and friends. There was always room for one more.

He was a caring, generous and forgiving person. Their home was always open to relatives and travelers for a place to stay, with a good meal to help them on their way.

He was always ready to help anyone in need and never asked for anything in return. He had many good friends who made his life the best anyone could have. He was always supportive of his family and ready to help his children excel in their school projects and enjoyed helping with rodeo events. There isn’t enough words and time to describe the life and experiences of this respected, subtle-humored and soft-spoken man. His presence in the lives of those who knew him will be long remembered.

Lawrence is survived by his wife, Margaret, of 71 years of marriage, who resides at Life Care Center; their daughter, Amy Carson of Spalding; grandson, Levi Carson and companion Lynn Kramer of Lapwai; great- grandson, Jerome and wife Salei Carson and their children, Selena, Sammy, Katelyn and Travis, of Colorado Springs, Colorado; granddaughter, Jackie Carson of Spalding; grandson, Stephen Tilden of Lewiston; granddaughter, Toniann and husband Jeff Jurgensen, their children Olivia and Jaden, of Bellevue, Washington. He is also survived by his two cousins, Rudy Miles and Cecil Carter.

He was preceded in death by his parents and his seven siblings, son Jesse Tilden, half-sister Lizzie Lawyer Courville, cousin Louise Martin, and niece Naomi Conner Shephard.

He was known to be the nearest surviving relative to young Joseph; he was also the cousin of Kimiakin, who became chief of a Yakama band by marriage, and Jackson Sundown.

At his request, he will be laid to rest beside his mother at Pleasant View Cemetery in St. Ignatius, Montana. 

Robert "Rob" Norbert Jensen
St. Ignatius — Robert "Rob" Norbert Jensen, 43 years old of St. Ignatius, missing since Oct 15, 2005. His remains were recovered January 30, 2007.

Rob was born in Ronan, MT on Sept. 22, 1962. He grew up in Ronan and attended the Seventh Day Adventist Church School, later graduating from Auburn Academy in Washington State.

Some of Rob's interests were barefoot waterskiing, water skiing, snow skiing, brain tanning hides, ranch work, small business owner with cars and property. He loved flying hang gliders even though he witnessed the traumatic death of his dad while hang gliding together.

Rob met his future wife, Mary Lynn Callander in Washington. They later moved to Montana in the spring of 1991. They were together for 21 years. To this marriage they were blessed with their only child Robert Andrew Christopher better known as "Bobby" born Dec. 22. 1991. He is in 9th grade, at Mission High School.

Survived by his loving wife Mary and son Bobby. Sadly missed by his grandma Phyllis, mother Gabriel, sister Jacequeline; aunts, Uncles, cousins and numerous friends.

A memorial services is still pending.

We would like to thank you for your love, prayers and support at this time.