From Montana Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation 

MONTANA — The Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation and firefighters across Montana encourage you to celebrate the Fourth of July with wildfire safety in mind. For many Montanans, Fourth of July festivities include celebrating with family and friends by enjoying campfires, barbeques, and firework displays. While these summertime activities are sure to ignite good times, one stray spark has the potential to cause substantial damage.

During these celebrations, take care to not start an unwanted fire. Here are a few tips to help take the fire out of fireworks:

  • Never leave children unsupervised around any type of fire.
  • Avoid starting any type of fire when conditions are dry or windy.
  • Light fireworks one at a time and move away quickly after doing so.
  • After fireworks are done burning, douse them with water before placing in the trash.
  • Observe fireworks restrictions. 

Be aware that the tip of a sparkler burns at a temperature of more than 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, which can easily ignite dry vegetation. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display sponsored by your local community. 

We can all make a difference in reducing human-caused fires this season. One Less Spark Means One Less Wildfire!

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.