Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

September 5, 2013

This Week in Tribal History

Mary Rogers, Tribal Preservation Department

September 7, 1871 from The Missoula Pioneer: Duncan McDonald, son of Malcolm McDonald, factor of the Hudson Bay Company, who resides at the Company's Post about 53 miles north of the town of Missoula. Duncan missing since he left to go duck hunting on a lake at the head of Hudson Bay Creek. His horse came back to the Post rider less. "This excited no suspicion at the time, but the young man not returning after an absence of two days, his father became alarmed for his safety, and offered a reward of $500 for his recovery--$200 to whoever would find him, and $300 to be distributed amongst the Indians who started out to hunt him."

September 5, 1874 from The New Northwest:
"Mr. Ed Corbin tells us the river road was full of Nez Perce Indians this week going to buffalo on the Yellowstone, with the purpose of remaining one snow (one winter). They claim to be nearly 2,000 strong and to have 4,000 horses…We are told the whole available fighting force of the Flatheads are going to join this party, and the entire band to go into the Yellowstone hunting grounds together."

September 1, 1910 from The Plainsman: "A Catholic Church will likely be erected in Camas within a few months. The matter is being very strongly agitated and has been given a substantial start by a donation of 10,000 feet of lumber by Joe Morigeau."

September 5, 1911 from The Plainsman: “Major Fred Morgan came down from Jocko Monday as a witness in the case of the state against August Finley.”

September 5, 1911 from The Plainsman: “Mr. Charley Allard owns a small herd of buffalo which he said were doing well. The buffalo are almost domesticated.”

September 1, 1911 from The Dayton Leader: “Carl Knutson, the sub-Indian agent of Polson, was in Dayton Tuesday superintending the leasing of an Indian allotment.”

September 4, 1914 from The Dayton Leader: A bolt of lightening early in the morning of August 24 hit "The City of Dixon", “a steamer plying on the Flathead river between Dixon and Flathead Lake. The steamer took fire and before help could be secured the flames had gained such headway that the boat was burned to the water’s edge. . . . The steamer cost $12,000 and was covered by insurance amounting to only $4,000.”

September 6, 1917 from The Plainsman: Forest Ranger Robert Scarlett: “The fire at Dog Lake is no more, having practically burned itself out, the fire being confined to the east side of the road.”

If you have any questions or comments please contact Mary Rogers at 675-2700, ext 1320, or Communication Director, Rob McDonald at ext. 1222. Newspaper articles may be suggested for the Preservation archives if the article includes the newspaper name, date and is from 1975 or earlier.

Advertise with us!
submit to reddit
Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious