|August 22, 2013
This Week in Tribal History
Tribal Preservation Department
August 29, 1874 from The New Northwest: “Mr. Quivey, just in from the Indian country, reports that the Flathead camp is near the mouth of Deep Creek, and that they manifest hostility against the Crows, having stolen a few horses from the River Crows as they were coming in.”
August 30, 1878 from The New Northwest: “You say that no Indians have a right to be away from their reservations, except when convoyed by solders, etc. The fact is the treaty made with the Indians of this reservation distinctly recognizes their right to visit the buffalo country, and as there is no proviso made as to their being accompanied by soldiers, the fact of the government not being prepared to furnish a convoy by no means abrogates such right. Again you say that at the time of publication of aforesaid correspondence there were none of these Indians wandering about. To this I can only verify that there were Indians outside of the reservation on the Blackfoot etc That the Flathead chief Arlee with a following might easily have chosen a path that would have brought him in contact with men imbued with the sentiments objected to. . .”
August 22, 1884 from The Missoulian: “Chief Arlee has a fine farm and abundant crop. An Indian brought in a large salmon trout weighing eleven pounds, which Mr. Morrison bought for friends in Missoula.”
August 21, 1890 from The Missoula Gazette: Maj. Ronan and interpreter Michael came in on the 11 o’clock train from the agency. Michael will remain here at the examination of Lala cee, Pierre Paul and the other Indians which is expected will come off come Monday next.
August 12, 1910 from The Sanders County Democrat: “Major Morgan investigated the report of the killing of Frank Sulphie by Andrew Bullhead, published in last weeks Democrat, and found that the Indian fell from his saddle horse on a sharp rock, causing death.”
August 16, 1912 from The Plainsman: The Dixon and Sloan Navigation company will soon start the ‘City of Dixon’ Steamboat hauling freight & passengers on the Flathead River between Dixon & Sloan’s Ferry.
August 30, 1912 from The Plainsman: Fire destroyed most of the town of Ronan. The fire started at 2:30 in the afternoon at Crawford and Clairmont garage and by 6 pm most of the town had burned. The loss is estimated at half a million dollars.
August 22, 1913 from The Plainsman: “Alex Ainsley, a full-blood Flathead Indian, serving a six month sentence in the county jail and slowly dying of consumption, was last week pardoned by President Wilson, and taken to his home near Ronan that he might spend his few remaining days with his family.” He was in jail for perjury in trial involving selling liquor to Indians case.
August 29, 1913 from The Plainsman: “Isaac Bonaparte, a well-known Indian of the Flathead reservation, is under arrest charged with stealing three steers from the Ursuline Convent of the Holy Family. . . The Indian is alleged to have changed the brands on the cattle and sold them to a Polson Butcher. One was slaughtered and the others were recovered.”
August 25, 1916 from The Sanders County Signal: “The Senate Committee on Public Lands has ordered a favorable report on Senator Myers bill to donate a block of the townsite of Dixon to the Dixon Public School for public school purposes. . .”
you have any questions or comments please contact Mary Rogers at
675-2700, ext 1320, or Communication Director, Rob McDonald at ext.
1222. Newspaper articles may be suggested for the Preservation archives
if the article includes the newspaper name, date and is from 1975 or