|JUne 13, 2013
This Week in Tribal History
Tribal Preservation Department
June 16, 1882 from The Weekly Missoulian: A resident of Head-of-the-Lake reports that although he trades with the Kootenai, they tear down fences and steal cattle and he finds them a nuisance.
June 20, 1884 from The New Northwest: Some Flathead Indians on Tuesday evening had a procession through town and a dance in the suburbs that attracted considerable attention. They adhere to the aboriginal precautions from becoming overheated in dancing. It is estimated the clothing worn by one as he bounded into the ring would cost about two cents in a harness shop.
June 20, 1896 from The Weekly Plainsman: In 1896 "Stock on the reservation are in fine form and the range never better. The calf crop large and stockmen look unusually happy."
June 20, 1896 from The Weekly Plainsman: "Oliver Courville and Mary Jones will be married July 2nd at the home of the bride at Paradise."
June 16, 1910 from The Plainsman: Bids for leasing the Camas hot springs were opened at the Jocko Agency. It was not known how many bids were received. The lease was for 10 years and the lessee would own all the improvements that were built. It was specified that these hot springs were free to all Indians and to such white people as were unable to pay for bath privileges. Agent Fred Morgan received the bids and forwarded then to the secretary of the interior for final consideration.
June 16, 1910 from The Plainsman: “The delegation of residents of the reservation, Charles Allard, Duncan McDonald, William Irvine, Charlie Mitchell, Moze Zoll, Martin Charlot, Kai Kai che and others who went to Washington recently, are expected to return to their homes today.”
June 18, 1911 from The Missoulian: Riverside Park in Milltown opened for early viewing this week in 1911. There were swings, a dance pavilion and a baseball field. In the following years it was the site of pow-wows, picnics and Ku Klux Klan meetings.
June 20, 1913 from The Plainsman: Flathead River Claims 3 lives near Dixon: Mrs. Frank Scearce & Son & Heinie Walters drowned just below the mouth of Crow Creek. Frank Scearce escaped from the river. They were on their way to catch the City of Dixon steamer and go to the celebrations in Dixon when their canoe capsized.
June 16, 1916 from The Plainsman: Tribal member’s successfully hunting black bears at Dog Lake.
June 18, 1925 from The Plainsman: "Those were six missionaries among whom was the Rev. Gray, formerly of the Flathead mission, but who, having incurred the dislike of those Indians was forced to leave them and go to the Williamette. The enmity of the Flatheads to Mr. Gray arose from his having escaped uninjured when attacked by Indians, while his Flathead guides were slain. Although he denied having sacrificed the Indians to gain his own freedom, appearances were against him, and the Flatheads would no longer listen to his teachings."
you have any questions or comments please contact Mary Rogers at
675-2700, ext 1320, or Communication Director, Rob McDonald at ext.
1222. Newspaper articles may be suggested for the Preservation archives
if the article includes the newspaper name, date and is from 1975 or