Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

January 17,2013

This Week in Tribal History

Mary Rogers, Tribal Preservation Department

January 19, 1883 The Weekly Missoulian: Chief Arlee's testimony in the murder case of a member of his tribe. He explains how the tribe already sentenced the murderer before the government became involved.

January 13, 1905 The Plainsman: “Some time last Saturday morning while driving to Plains from Camas and coming down Greenwood Hill, Chief Machel , the head chief of the Camas band of Indians, of the Flathead Indian Reservation, was thrown from his wagon and was so badly injured that he died from the effects. Fred Greenwood found the body and the horses and wagon were found at the foot of the hill. He was brought into town and Dr. Lebcher was called. An examination showed that he had a broken shoulder, his spine was injured and he was hurt internally. He never regained consciousness and died Sunday morning.”

January 14, 1926 The Plainsman: 620 live elk (two train loads) will travel to Middleboro, Mass. They were sold to prevent overcrowding of the Bison Range by Park Warden Frank Rose. There will be 40 elk to a railroad baggage car.

January 18, 1882 The River Pass (Fort Benton): "Our party is in a hub-bub of excitement over a happening of yesterday. While engaged in surveying on the reserve, thirty-five miles from Missoula, we got to a place where we were cutting our way through a lot of underbrush and timber, when out of the copse came an Indian who gave us to understand that we were not to survey any further. The buck emphasized his sign language by shoving one of our men side, who in turn gave a push back, when the Indian grabbed his knife. We looked around and saw a half a dozen other Indians suddenly appear from the brush. The conclusion quickly arrived at was that we had better quit until we could find out what the trouble was. From a half-breed who could talk English it was learned that the Indians were all opposed to the railroad and did not want it to cross the reservation. We have a permit from the Chief to survey our line through the reserve, but the Chief's authority is not respected, and the Indians threaten to "bounce" him, so to speak, and elect a new man. All the Indians are now gathering with the purpose, tomorrow, of stopping the surveying party at work twenty miles above here. Engineer Hamilton, the head of our party, went to the agency yesterday to consult with the Indians and tomorrow will go to Missoula. In the meantime we have to lay idle and await the adjustment of the trouble. At this writing the Indians are collecting at a village five miles away from our camp, and every few minutes some young buck rides by hooting and yelling, seemingly exultant over their success in stopping the survey. The belief is that it we lay quiet and do not attempt to work we will have no serious trouble, but "Lo" is in earnest, and in a defenseless state we are not disposed to fool with him. We thought we were all O. K. by having a permit from their Chief, but as they do not recognize him as such any longer, we will have to quit operations for the present until it is settled some way."

If you have any questions or comments please contact Mary Rogers at 675-2700, ext 1320, or Communication Director, Rob McDonald at ext. 1222. Newspaper articles may be suggested for the Preservation archives if the article includes the newspaper name, date and is from 1975 or earlier.

Advertise with us!
submit to reddit
Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious