Char-Koosta News

The Official Publication of the Flathead Nation online

September 6, 2012

This Week in Tribal History

Mary Rogers, Tribal Preservation Department

September 3, 1873 from The Rocky Mountain Gazette: The Pend d'Oreille stole horses from Crow and whites near mouth of Shields River.

September 5, 1874 from The New Northwest: "Mr. Ed Corbin tells us the river road was full of Nez Perce Indians this week going to buffalo on the Yellowstone, with the purpose of remaining one snow (one winter). They claim to be nearly 2,000 strong and to have 4,000 horses…We are told the whole available fighting force of the Flatheads are going to join this party, and the entire band to go into the Yellowstone hunting grounds together."

September 6, 1880 from The Weekly Missoulian: Leading civil authorities request that commander Gibson of the military post forcibly remove the camps of Indians of various tribes in Missoula, since they are robbing gardens and getting drunk in the street.

September 8, 1905 from The Plainsman: Plans for harnessing Missoula River near Quinn's Hot Springs, using the water for irrigation, pumping plants, electrical lights and supplying water for farms.

September 3, 1908 from The Plainsman: Two Bartenders were charged for selling liquor to Indians: Pete Larson and Frank Johnson. Henry Matt is being held as a witness. A call is made to make an example of those who sell liquor to Indians.

September 8, 1910 from The Plainsman: Typhoid in Polson, tribal members in excellent health. The census at agency shows there are 2365 Indians registered on reservation. The forest fires have postponed the Indian fair until next year.

September 8, 1933 from The Spokane Chronicle: $540,000 allocated for Flathead Irrigation Project. From C.J. Moody work is focused on completion of the Mission Reservoir, Dry Fork reservoir and the Pablo Reservoir; work continues on the transmission lines and canal improvement. As well as improvements to the lateral system and miscellaneous construction items.

September 2, 1937 from The Flathead Monitor: 400 men fighting “a bad fire on Pistol Creek east of Arlee.” 50 men from the Bridgehead Civilian Conservation Corp and 350 from Coram, Spotted Bear, Tally Lake and Swan Lake Ranger Districts are fighting the 700 acre fire.

September 8, 1949 from The Ronan Pioneer: The Ursuline Nuns asked for an increase in allotment for Indian student boarders. They cannot support the children at $12.50 per month per child and believe they need to raise the allotment to $20 per month per child.

September 3, 1953 from The Ronan Pioneer: “Pablo pow-wow this weekend: Reservation Indians will assemble Friday at a large Indian camp about a mile east of Pablo for a big celebration. The entertainment will feature colorful war dances and traditional tribal dances. There will also be stickgames. . . . The camp will be supervised by police under the direction of Earl Sanders and Baptiste Hewankorn is camp manager.”

If you have any questions or comments please contact Mary Rogers at 675-2700, ext 1320, or Communication Director, Rob McDonald at ext. 1222. Newspaper articles may be suggested for the Preservation archives if the article includes the newspaper name, date and is from 1975 or earlier.

Advertise with us!
Share
submit to reddit
('DiggThis)
Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious